Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:15 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I've always had a stong pull to San Francisco. When I was a kid, I would watch movies based there just for the shots of the city. I'm going to school out there this fall, so I guess I'll find out if I'm meant to be there or not. I do like where I'm from though, and I don't think that'll ever change.
How was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:34 AM

I was born and raised in Maryland and I still love living here, especially with DC just 20-something minutes away. However, I will say this. I felt like I was kinda "at home" when I visited Santa Monica, CA this past October...I love living on the East Coast and am proud of it, but I felt like I instantly clicked with that whole live-and-let-live Cali State of Mind complex, especially since I'm a pretty mellow and chill person by nature and don't like to feel rushed a lot. I mean, I like to be busy sometimes, but not constantly. And even though I love the fact that the East Coast/Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region is probably the most Euro-oriented region in the U.S., it seems like the West Coast does a much better job of adopting the live-and-let-live mentality of the Europeans to a much greater degree than my fellow East Coasters it seems. I think I probably would've loved to have been born in Santa Barbara and raised in either Santa Monica or Baldwin Hills

As for overseas, I've never left the U.S., but it would be interesting to see how my personality will click with London (I think I'm becoming more obsessed with London than I am with the NYC), Barcelona, Paris, Buenos Aires, Amsterdam, Cape Town, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
YES! Ugh! I was born in Florida and I finally escaped just last week after 26 years of prison! I don't miss it at all and if I can help it I will never ever move back!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
I was born in Houston. Grew up there, and left when I was fresh out of HS. Felt drawn towards L.A. at the time so that's where I went. Both the Houston and the L.A. of my youth are basically gone forever, so ever since, I've moved all over the country trying to find my niche. Finally found it in my mid-40's in the PNW.

We'll see how long this lasts. The only thing constant in this country is CHANGE.

That said, NO... I definitely don't feel like "I was born in the wrong place". Houston was great until about 1983. Wouldn't trade my youth there for anything.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:31 AM

278 posts, read 308,735 times
Yes.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:32 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I do ! I grew up in Northern Virginia, and while technically its the South, the area is no longer very Southern at all, and I always felt I wished I had grown up in at least Richmond or somewhere further South.

Growing up, I always felt so much more Southern than those around me. I loved sweet tea (my mother put it in my forumla as a baby!), and fried okra, grits, collard greens, and of course spoonbread.

I love Loudoun County, but its soooo transient! Everyone doesn't say hello very much these days. I always almost felt like I was a Deep South person livin' in border town ! I have a very strong Southern drawl, and most people even from the Deep South ask me where I get it.

Mostly its from my older relatives in Tidewater Virginia. But anyways, I felt like a fish out of water in transient, plastic, Northern Virginia. I wished I had been born in the 1800s in the Deep South!
People today normally say high not hello.And despite what some people think the more south you go does not correlate to stronger accent.

You getting looks because the drawl is almost wiped out today.

Here is what young people sound like today

South Carolina/ Atlanta Ga accent - YouTube

Kentucky Accent 02 - YouTube

Accent Thing (Alabama) - YouTube

Not many people today have drawl like this .

Change your Voice!! iPhone App!! HOT!! Cool!! - YouTube

Occupy Jacksonville - YouTube

The drawl is almost wiped out today.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 AM

278 posts, read 308,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
But anyways, I felt like a fish out of water in transient, plastic, Northern Virginia. I wished I had been born in the 1800s in the Deep South!
So you're white, obviously...
I guess someone should also explain to Richmonder than "DC is in Maryland" is technically not true - it's a Federal District that is not within any state although it touches seemingly equal amounts of VA and MD go Hoyas

Last edited by HeyHowdy; 12-20-2013 at 02:59 AM..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Native Kansan, and that's fine by me. I like the vast openness and starry skies of my home. The only other place in the US that has ever spoken to me was Chicago, Illinois. Surprisingly, parts of Thailand felt like home and after some Japanese lessons, I'm thinking Tokyo would speak to me as well.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
YES! Ugh! I was born in Florida and I finally escaped just last week after 26 years of prison! I don't miss it at all and if I can help it I will never ever move back!
From the looks of your username, I would bet that you're moving out towards one of the Mountain West states

Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.