Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
No suh..the Bay Area made me the man I am today.
Born in Vallejo raised in Hunters Point,Ca no neighborhood in the US scares me but growing up in SF also gave me a sense of refinement and a wealthy taste.
I was born in Lakeview in San Francisco. It gave me so much game. But at the same time, I was exposed to the Chinese culture from my mother's side of the family who lived in the Sunset District which is as close as you're going to get to Asia in America. Being born into a multi-racial background and growing up between the hood in Lakeview, China in America in the Sunset, and being around sophisticated people of all backgrounds in SF has made me a very unique person. Even people in super diverse cities like NYC can tell I'm not from the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM

42 posts, read 85,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I do ! I grew up in Northern Virginia, and while technically its the South, the area is no longer very Southern at all, and I always felt I wished I had grown up in at least Richmond or somewhere further South.

Growing up, I always felt so much more Southern than those around me. I loved sweet tea (my mother put it in my forumla as a baby!), and fried okra, grits, collard greens, and of course spoonbread.

I love Loudoun County, but its soooo transient! Everyone doesn't say hello very much these days. I always almost felt like I was a Deep South person livin' in border town ! I have a very strong Southern drawl, and most people even from the Deep South ask me where I get it.

Mostly its from my older relatives in Tidewater Virginia. But anyways, I felt like a fish out of water in transient, plastic, Northern Virginia. I wished I had been born in the 1800s in the Deep South!
Not the wrong place, but the wrong time. Like you, I feel like I should've been born in the 1800's as well... only with access to modern medicine like antibiotics.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
I know for a fact I was born in the wrong place.... I belong in Hilo, Hawaii. When I first landed there I knew where everything was ??? but I'd never been there before ...... I was born in Vancouver, BC which sucks cause it's not like I can right this wrong It's very frustrating and hard to live here .. I've never felt I fit in with either my family or this place. When I go to Hilo I feel so much like I'm Home.... I'm actually home sick. ..... ARGH!!!! I just want to go home where I know I belong

Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Born in Danville IL, so it was only natural that as long as the place wasn't that large or overpopulated, I felt at home there.
I've been down to the LA area plenty of times and that "Bladerunner" look it has at night is still too unsettling for me.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Yes, I understand about feeling like you were born in the worng place. I was born, raised, educated, had a career, and raised a family in Cincinnati, but I felt like I belonged somewhere else. I don't know if it was because I was cold seven months of the year and couldn't get outside and do things comfortably or if the months of gray got to me or what, but it just wasn't the place for me. When we moved to Florida I finally felt at peace. I love the weather here and it just feels like this is where I'm supposed to be. It took me a long time, but I'm finally home and I'm so thankful.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
I do, I was born and raised here in Birmingham, AL but I don't have a southern accent, and most people assume im from either the Northeast, or West coast. I've come to like living in the South, but I really feel out of place.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
I do, I live in a small town in Ohio that's 2 hours directly south of Cleveland. It's missing over 75% of major amenities (The county doesn't even have a bookstore!) and it's very anti-pedestrian. I'd like to live in a place where I walk and/or bike everywhere I go unless I'm traveling out of the county (But where I am now, I have to travel out of the county to do alot of things I shouldn't even have to leave the county for). Where I'm stuck in is a just another town that was built with exclusively the "jock" crowd in mind.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Not if you're black, lol.
Or white, unless you were wealthy!

On topic, I moved in late July/early August after posting in this thread earlier in the year, and so far it's been great. For the most part I feel as though I fit in here much more than middle TN. I started a Facebook page so my friends and family from back home could stay in touch easily, and when I see their posts and pictures I still feel like a misfit thinking about when I lived there. It's a weird sensation to see their lives from the outside and imagine that I lived there most of my life until now. It's a completely different world.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
i feel like i would have been better suited to the 1800s in england i am such an old soul and it is my all time fave era

Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Yes!!!! I have always felt out of place in South Florida and can't wait to leave. I felt a real connection to Boston. I have traveled all over the world but I have never felt about anyother place like I do Boston. It's actually kinda strange lol but I feel like I just belong there. The first time I visited, I went off on my own like I just knew the place. I have taken the T from Harvard Square to far out on the Blue Line at 11:00 at night and felt(maybe foolishly) totally safe. I cry when I leave to come back to Florida and I hope to be relocating to New England in the next year. I just do not fit in here in Fl. I never have. Take care everybody!
Did you ever made the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.