Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Sweetheart, the south is not and never will be known for good food. The north is the epicentre of all things "food" related in this nation-- gourmet food, restaurants, delis, cultural diversity, et cetera.

You can't even get good bagels outside of NYC.
Yes the South is and always will be known for good food. I have lots of family members in New York. When I go to NewYork, I see these soul food" resturants that serve amateur soulfood. Uncle Moe's in Rochester is a nice soulfood resturant that puts you in the southern state of mid. The South is known for its food, culture, accent, laid back living, and hospitality. When alot of people think about the North, they don't think about food; they think about buildings, traffic, alot of people, trash, cold weather, and unfriendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I would reverse that. Rochester and most of the north have more "local" restaurants than in the south. One thing that people tell me when they visit here is the lack of chain restaurants. What makes this area great is the large amount of local mom and pop restaurants in the city. Rochester has more local restaurants in the city than cities in the south I have been to such as Charlotte, Raleigh, VA beach,etc. The south has a much greater selection of chains. Some people like that. Personally, I don't. And grocery stores? When you have a store like Wegmans, who needs all of those. I had to shop at places like Publix, piggly wiggly, food lion, etc when I was down there and they were all inferior to Wegmans.
I see what you are saying about Wegmen's. That is why it is big as Wal-Mart. I give you your props. But 2 grocery stores, that's embarassing!

The South has more food choices and local resturants than the North. Even some people from the North know that. I have a family member who used to live in Alabama and now lives in New York. He says that Alabama and the South have more food choices than the North!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
I see what you are saying about Wegmen's. That is why it is big as Wal-Mart. I give you your props. But 2 grocery stores, that's embarassing!

The South has more food choices and local resturants than the North. Even some people from the North know that. I have a family member who used to live in Alabama and now lives in New York. He says that Alabama and the South have more food choices than the North!
sorry, but places like wal mart do not compare in any way to wegmans when we are talking about quality and selection.. wegmans offers a world better selection.
I disagree 100% with the selections. I can get any type of meal up here. All locally owned. I have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to selection. You most likely have never spent any extended amount of time up h ere.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Yes the South is and always will be known for good food. I have lots of family members in New York. When I go to NewYork, I see these soul food" resturants that serve amateur soulfood. Uncle Moe's in Rochester is a nice soulfood resturant that puts you in the southern state of mid. The South is known for its food, culture, accent, laid back living, and hospitality. When alot of people think about the North, they don't think about food; they think about buildings, traffic, alot of people, trash, cold weather, and unfriendly people.
Then you've never been to Harlem. What a silly thing to say.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM

47 posts, read 205,267 times
I think what the op is thinking is that the South is becoming less country. When an area grows it attracts people from all over not just natives. The culture of any urban area in any region isn't going to be the same as the culture in the rural areas nearby. The rural areas are going to have the traditions associated with that particular region, while the urban areas are going to have a mixture of cultures.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
sorry, but places like wal mart do not compare in any way to wegmans when we are talking about quality and selection.. wegmans offers a world better selection.
I disagree 100% with the selections. I can get any type of meal up here. All locally owned. I have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to selection. You most likely have never spent any extended amount of time up h ere.
Yes I have! In fact, I have spent a whole month in Rochester, NY. Just enough to know how the people talk, treat one another, and live; just enough to have gone to Wegmen's five different times; just enough to have looked in the phone book to see what all is there; just enough to go around most of the area and see the culture; just enough to get home sick and know that that area is for me; and just enough to know that the North is nothing like South, in fact it is worse than the South!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:59 PM

125 posts, read 448,123 times
Because we won the war.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times

Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Then you've never been to Harlem. What a silly thing to say.
Soul Food is the BEST in the south, as well as BBQ. You guys can have everything else, but those two things is something no other region in the country can touch us in (ok, maybe the midwest).

Old 02-15-2009, 11:07 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Soul Food is the BEST in the south, as well as BBQ. You guys can have everything else, but those two things is something no other region in the country can touch us in (ok, maybe the midwest).
I agree anytime you leave the south and you see "Southern-Style", "Soul Food", "New Orleans Style", etc. it's usually a cheap imitation that tastes nothing like the real thing and they charge you an arm and a leg for it.

How exactly is the south getting less southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.