Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2006, 06:15 PM

18 posts, read 94,447 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to New England, but I really know very little about where to start looking. I'm wondering about the teacher job market, cost of living, crime rate, and any other tidbits that might be out there. I also need to go to grad school, so a college within an hour and a half would also be a plus! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 AM

53 posts, read 261,625 times
Default How about Maine?

The school systems up here (Bangor area) are doing a great job for the kids and U Maine at Orono is just up the street. It is a sane and beautiful place where housing costs are more than reasonable and quality of life can not be beat... unless, of course, you just hate winter.

This little slice of heaven is not for everyone.. but I love it.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,984 times
I'll second that. I live 26 miles west of Bangor. Maine's not perfect (no place is) but for simple quality-of-life issues, like crime, traffic, and pollution, Maine can't be beat... and the winters aren't as bad as everybody thinks.

I moved here from Idaho two years ago, and I'd never go back. Unfortunately, my employer is moving me to the Atlanta GA area later this summer/fall... if it weren't such a good job... I'd just ditch it and stay here. I'm not looking forward to the 1 hr commute every morning to the office down there.

Heck, I drove in to Bangor earlier today around 5:30pm. Even in the "big city" of Bangor, there was practically no traffic. I'm really going to miss this place.

University of Maine is in Orono, just outside of Bangor. Don't know anything about the grad school, but it's the flagship institution here in Maine.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
The Burlington, VT area is nice, although housing is quite expensive. The University of Vermont is in town as are a couple other smaller colleges.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:50 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Cities that come to mind are:

Syracuse NY metro- cheap cost of living, easy access to lots of colleges. Crime is high in the Southeast section of the city, but Northeast/west are better - lots of burbs that are rural with much lower crime

New Paltz, NY - Great college access, but only look there if you are willing to start out renting as housing is a little high - rentals are more reasonable. Orange county needs teachers, I know several who were able to get their desired job first try.

Northampton, MA -for access to a lot of colleges (Smith/Umass etc), great social life + access to lots of good sized towns with lots of schools

If I had my pick as a college grad, I would choose Northampton area. Overall, great atmosphere, low crime, easy access to post-grad classes, reasonable housing if you are willing to look a bit out of town (or rent in Hadley or Sunderland) and great resturants and social life. Good job market for people with college degrees.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM

165 posts, read 926,271 times
Question Main schooling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlear
The school systems up here (Bangor area) are doing a great job for the kids and U Maine at Orono is just up the street. It is a sane and beautiful place where housing costs are more than reasonable and quality of life can not be beat... unless, of course, you just hate winter.

This little slice of heaven is not for everyone.. but I love it.
I don't question your statements on how the quality of life is there but the education info makes me raise an Eyebrow. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but isn't there an article about education on cnn.com right now saying how Nebraska and Maine are the worst two states in following testing guidelines and the "no child left behind" stuff?

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.