Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 302 57.09%
Florida 227 42.91%
Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,294 times

Advertisements

I've been doing lot of research on moving from Florida, where I have lived for the past 3 years, to Texas. I still in the research process, but need to make a move by Nov.2016 when my rental lease expires. I am a single senior, working as a certified nursing assistant. I love the weather in Florida, and am concerned about the ice in the winter in Texas. I'm also concerned about finding a job as CNA, planning on moving to Fort Worth area, surrounding cities. Florida is way too expensive for my income. I live in Sarasota, which is nice, but it's all about people who love beaches, restaurants and tourism. That's fine, but I've discovered I am not comfortable here. It's becoming more crowded everyday with people moving here, so unless you have the finances to afford this style of living, that it's not the greatest place to settle in for the rest of ones' life. I am NOT knocking it-----it seems like thousands of seniors come here to retire every year, and it works well for them. My finances cannot afford the rents anymore, and I was originally hoping to purchase a small single family home. Thus, 'affordability' is now my priority, so I'm hoping Texas has offers for a single senior to purchase a small house and acquire a CNA position. I appreciate any comments to help me make a decision. It's a big move for me, and costly, so I'm trying to make the right decision----though I realize I may just have to take the risk. I saw a comment about housing in Florida being so affordable------that depends on what one calls 'affordable'. I understand rents and home purchases can be high no matter where one moves, but I remain hopeful that I can find a home to purchase in Texas, or possibly a slim chance in Florida. I have many reservations about staying in Florida, so I'm praying that Texas is my next and final stop to live and enjoy rest of my days. Yes the beaches are beautiful in Florida, but I'm not really a beach person. Thanks for any suggestions, comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydaisies View Post
I've been doing lot of research on moving from Florida, where I have lived for the past 3 years, to Texas. I still in the research process, but need to make a move by Nov.2016 when my rental lease expires. I am a single senior, working as a certified nursing assistant. I love the weather in Florida, and am concerned about the ice in the winter in Texas. I'm also concerned about finding a job as CNA, planning on moving to Fort Worth area, surrounding cities. Florida is way too expensive for my income. I live in Sarasota, which is nice, but it's all about people who love beaches, restaurants and tourism. That's fine, but I've discovered I am not comfortable here. It's becoming more crowded everyday with people moving here, so unless you have the finances to afford this style of living, that it's not the greatest place to settle in for the rest of ones' life. I am NOT knocking it-----it seems like thousands of seniors come here to retire every year, and it works well for them. My finances cannot afford the rents anymore, and I was originally hoping to purchase a small single family home. Thus, 'affordability' is now my priority, so I'm hoping Texas has offers for a single senior to purchase a small house and acquire a CNA position. I appreciate any comments to help me make a decision. It's a big move for me, and costly, so I'm trying to make the right decision----though I realize I may just have to take the risk. I saw a comment about housing in Florida being so affordable------that depends on what one calls 'affordable'. I understand rents and home purchases can be high no matter where one moves, but I remain hopeful that I can find a home to purchase in Texas, or possibly a slim chance in Florida. I have many reservations about staying in Florida, so I'm praying that Texas is my next and final stop to live and enjoy rest of my days. Yes the beaches are beautiful in Florida, but I'm not really a beach person. Thanks for any suggestions, comments.
You're better off in Phoenix or Las Vegas. Wages for nursing assistants are higher than in Texas or Florida and rents are low. Additionally, you might want to check out Ocala and Gainesville in Florida which has a substantially lower cost of living than Sarasota, and strong growth in health care services.

Last edited by PCALMike; 12-20-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 AM

988 posts, read 682,588 times
I'm a native Floridian, but I voted Texas. I just think Texas is more diverse, with more options. You've got Big Bend area, the high plains, the border, big cities with big reservoirs near them in the east, a coastline, and a lot more. I'm pretty sure I would be quite happy in El Paso and environs too. With that said, you can only live in one place, and I might go with Florida, because of familiarity and very specific things, such as canoeing the Hillsborough River outside Tampa, or walking the beaches on Treasure Island, which bring back a lot of memories for me.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
For me, Florida.

I like texas, but outside of its major cities Texas is backwards Gods country in every sense of the word, similar to other Southern states. I prefer Florida because the people here are much more liberal and not very religious.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
For me, Florida.

I like texas, but outside of its major cities Texas is backwards Gods country in every sense of the word, similar to other Southern states. I prefer Florida because the people here are much more liberal and not very religious.
Florida outside of the cities isn't much different at all.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Florida outside of the cities isn't much different at all.
Eh. Maybe the panhandle. The peninsula is worlds different. The peninsula of Florida is also one of the most densely populated places in our country, so you are never far from major population centers. Texas is vast emptiness for the most part outside of Dallas, Houston, San antonio, and Austin.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:48 PM

82 posts, read 113,467 times
I live in Florida and would say that in most categories Texas beats Florida. For jobs, and general friendliness of people Texas definitely beats Florida. I wouldn't mind living in Texas, but I enjoy being able to go to the beach year round, and Miami does have great nightlife. Also, the extremely hot summers would be too much for me, it does get in the 90s in South Florida, but I've never seen 100s, and I personally don't like temps below 65F.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:59 PM

When you control for oil based jobs, Texas is almost no different from Florida in regards to job quality.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
When you control for oil based jobs, Texas is almost no different from Florida in regards to job quality.
That's not true. Dallas is huge for telecom, Austin has become a smaller version of Silicon Valley, Houston has diversified from energy. Texas is on another level in terms of job quality.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
For me, Florida.

Florida and Texas are very similar. I found almost no difference between living in Dallas and Orlando/Miami when it came to religiosity. Also, it doesn't sound like OP will be living in the rural areas of Texas, so this really is a nonissue. And unless you're living in Miami, Orlando, or Tampa, the rural areas of Florida are pretty similar, both in the panhandle and peninsula (Ocala, around Okeechobee, Ft Myers, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.