Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:54 PM

234 posts, read 786,054 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that some people really get upset if they feel that their city or state is being criticized. Have you noticed this?

When I live in a city & state, I try to look at "all sides." (The positives and the negatives.)

I don't want to wrap my entire identity around where I live...and I know that others may have a different view about things than I do.

If other people don't like my city or state...I don't take it really personally. We all have different preferences, needs, wants, dislikes, etc.

In other words, I don't need everyone's approval or validation about where I live...And, I don't need to "bad-mouth" and silence everyone who expresses some negative views about where I currently live....

Anyway, I thought I'd bring up this topic. How do you feel about it? Thanks, Claire/Desertlovers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,481 times
I too have noticed this. Even when I post threads like "Who Else Wants to Move out of Sacrament?" people still post replies regarding how great Sacramento is, that people who have moved away aren't going to be happy and will return, etc. etc. I don't get it.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Had a poster from Phoenix post one side of the crime stats for Springfield, Missouri and then make a huge deal out of "thefts" and make the statement: "Now I'm beginning to think this might not be a safe area for my family" or something analogous to that.
The irony is that Phoenix's murder rate and violent crime rate is twice that of Springfield, the car theft rate is two-thirds higher, etc.
And I'm thinking...You stupid moron..why even post such an ignorant post in the first place?
But they do. Look at the California thread and see what one person says about Santa Barbara after one incident of supposed 'gang' crime.
It's not so much that others take offense at criticism, it's that others get tired of hyperbolic exaggeration and stupid comments made with defective brain cells.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 PM

Leavingcali:

Thanks for writing! I've run into this myself TOO MUCH!!

It's as if we're a "traitor" for stating that we don't like a certain place....and the "posse" comes out to "set us straight" and "shut us up!!"

I think this goes on a lot in families...and in government. Everyone is expected to focus on the positive, and negatives just aren't allowed at all!

Have you noticed this?

Anyone who dares to say something negative is viewed as: mean, disloyal, a liar, etc. It's pretty spooky....Claire

Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 PM

MoMark:

I agree, it can be frustrating when people exaggerate things. But, this isn't the case with everyone.

Some people take offense at the slightest little criticism.

Sometimes, the people who get the most upset are realtors...and they don't want anyone to say anything bad about a city, because this might affect their home sales, etc. Have you run into this? I have. Thanks, Claire

Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
MoMark:

I agree, it can be frustrating when people exaggerate things. But, this isn't the case with everyone.

Sometimes, the people who get the most upset are realtors...and they don't want anyone to say anything bad about a city, because this might affect their home sales, etc. Have you run into this? I have. Thanks, Claire
Yes, I've noticed that, too and you're right~it's either a realtor or someone trying to sell their house who has the most problems with any type of criticism of the area.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Jammie:

Thanks for writing. You're right, people who are trying to sell their homes can act this way too.

If I were trying to sell my home, it would be hard for my to keep quiet if people asked me questions about the area....I wouldn't be able to lie! I couldn't "puff" the area up...if this wasn't how I really felt! Thanks, Claire

Old 03-18-2007, 01:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
A-hem! Is this ringing a bell for some of you NJ residents who continually bestow red dots upon me for stating an OPINION? Some people have said some pretty nasty things about Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the past as well, but I simply countered their opinions with opinions of my own in an effort to negate them. I'd never give somebody a red dot hit just because I disagreed with their opinions. (Let's see how long it takes AGAIN for MORE NJ folks to come on here smacking me upside the head with red dots!) LOL! Want to test me? Come onto the PA forum sometime and say something nasty about Scranton. I can guarantee you that I will not slam you with a red dot for stating how you feel!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Ironically, oftentimes the people who will attack others who DARE to criticize their beloved city/state are the first one to attack other cities and states and point out how much they fall short from their own utopia. Hypocrite much?

I don't see what the big deal is about criticizing a place that you don't like. We all have our opinions and there is no one perfect place for everyone so there is no one place that everyone is going to like, and that should be fine. By the way some people react on these boards when you express anything less than 100% glowing sentiments towards their locale, you'd think you had just called their mother a *****.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:14 PM

Good posts...Glad to finally be able to talk about this issue! Thanks!!

I think it all stems from the type of behavior and thinking that goes on in dysfunctional families, disfunctional companies and organizations, dysfunctional cities and states, dysfunctional governments, and you name it!

The message seems to be: "We are PERFECT! We have no problems! Everything is peachy keen & picture perfect! How dare you suggest that we have any problems!!"

But the truth is, problems can't be solved or "fixed" unless they are "owned."

In other words, someone has to admit that there are problems....in order to correct them. Right?

We all have the power to "fix problems" if we let ourselves "face them." Denial just makes things worse and worse and worse in the long run. Don't you think?

Thanks, Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.