Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times

Advertisements

I disagree partially with you.

It is likely that the North and the South - not to mention some independent states would have broken off (like Texas) would have been balanced off against each other by other great powers. Other great powers including Germany, Japan, China and Russia. It would still be happening. Its called the balance of power in foreign affairs.

In any case a divided United States would not have been able to build up its armed forces so quickly in WW2 or create a navy or air force big enough to contain the Soviet Union.

It of course did not happen so its all academic. But several writers have written alternate history books about it - one of which I read - has the North and the South fighting each other as part of WW1!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,679,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Why no statues of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson up north?
True! Very true. Unless you count The Lee Statue At Gettysburg. But thats a battlefield.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,230,735 times
There is a memorial to Conf. General Albert G. Jenkins of WV in Mechanicsburg, PA. When they put up a statue to Gen. McCausland in Chambersburg, PA, then I'll know the wounds have healed.
http://fiji.hea.biz/history/images/Sites/JenkinsMonument.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM

There is a Lee statue at Antietam National Battlefield in Maryland also. More importantly there is a RE Lee statue in the Capitol building in DC.

Arlington house, right next to Arlington National Cemetary is now called the Lee National Memorial by the Federal government. I would not be suprised (I have no idea though) if something up at West Point recognized Lee also.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,679,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
There is a Lee statue at Antietam National Battlefield in Maryland also. More importantly there is a RE Lee statue in the Capitol building in DC.

Arlington house, right next to Arlington National Cemetary is now called the Lee National Memorial by the Federal government. I would not be suprised (I have no idea though) if something up at West Point recognized Lee also.
LOL. Well, they should have a monument to Lee - that was his house!

Thats likely because Lee was from Northern Virginia i.e. The South.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
How many Jefferson Davies statues are there in the North? Or anywhere for that matter? lol

Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How many Jefferson Davies statues are there in the North? Or anywhere for that matter? lol
Plenty of Jefferson Davis statues around the south of course.

Just like Robert E Lee, there is a statue to Jefferson Davis in the Capitol Building in Washington DC!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
There is a jefferson Davis monument here in Kentucky :

Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,515,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I disagree partially with you.

It is likely that the North and the South - not to mention some independent states would have broken off (like Texas) would have been balanced off against each other by other great powers. Other great powers including Germany, Japan, China and Russia. It would still be happening. Its called the balance of power in foreign affairs.
As you say below, it is all academic, but IMHO (which of course plus a dollar buys the proverbial cup of coffee...or draw beer LOL), the North and South would have eventually reunited. Or else become the closest of allies (like the US and Great Britain today), and share an unguarded border like we do with Canada.

As an aside here, some "If the South Had Won" type novels have (as you allude to above) projected Texas as becoming an independent Republic once again. As it is though, I think a lot of this speculation is grounded in the fact that Texas is regarded as so unique today (which in itself was a largely a result of the outcome of the War in this particular realm). At the time though, as it actually was, Texas was one of the most staunchly Confederate states. Believe it or not, of the original 7 charter members of the CSA, Georgia was the one where the powers that be so openly defied the Davis' administration...

Quote:
In any case a divided United States would not have been able to build up its armed forces so quickly in WW2 or create a navy or air force big enough to contain the Soviet Union.
You make a good point, but keep in mind that Jefferson Davis wanted to -- from the beginning -- negotiate an economic and defensive alliance with the North, and open up the Mississippi River for free trade and navigation.

Quote:
It of course did not happen so its all academic. But several writers have written alternate history books about it - one of which I read - has the North and the South fighting each other as part of WW1!
Seems like I have heard of the one you mention (but never read it). Was it this one, perhaps?

Timeline-191 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, the author (Harry Turtledove) also wrote one of the best I ever read titled "Guns of the South"

Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,772,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
This one is in Charleston, WV:

Lincoln Statue, West Virginia Capitol on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellalola83/1396727979/ - broken link)
I should point out though, that Charleston, WV is not "Southern". I know, 'cause it's my home town.

Western Virginia had been trying to become it's own State for many, many years before the Civil War, but was unsuccessful in past attempts. To make a very long story very short - Lincoln basically told them that he'd support "West" Virginia as a State, if they sided with the Northern region during the war. They agreed, and poof - Statehood, and eventually, a statue commemorating Lincoln's efforts in front of Charleston's Capital building (built in the early 1930s).

A very old motto of the city (FYI) is, "The Southern most Northern city, and the Northern most Southern city", as culturally, you can find sweet iced tea there, but also philly sandwiches and bagels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the OP should have done a bit more research before starting this thread.
Agreed. The OP is taking a break due to having started a couple of threads that seem to encourage unhealthy debates, rather than discussion. It's good for folks to realize the difference between the two, 'cause we don't like unhealthy stuff around here (well, except doughnuts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.