Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about piercings?
Hate them 45 55.56%
Love 'em 9 11.11%
don't care either way. 21 25.93%
no opinion. 5 6.17%
Undecided 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:50 PM

117 posts, read 313,788 times

Advertisements

I recently talked with my friends and parents about getting a labret. However, they seem concerned about others' perception of me or think facial piercing are weird.

What do you think? Are facial piercing cool? or strange? or weird or whatever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:58 PM

50 posts, read 146,437 times
I don't care at all. What a person does with their body is their business not mine.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
It's a whatever to me. I have had them in the past. The only thing I would say is that watch the scarring. I had a lip ring and it left a scar. Looks like a big pore but *I* notice it even though others say they do not.

Had my nose pierced 3 different times, took it out for work one day the last time and lost the jewelry and that was that.

It's been attributed to Dr. Seuss... not sure if that's correct but it's my motto anyway: “Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”

Seriously. Life is WAY too short to live it for others, to live it worried about other people's opinions... I mean yeah, there are times you have to worry about it, like with bosses, and judges, lol... but in general I try real hard to not let other people's opinions influence what I do or don't do. As long as it doesn't harm anyone or intrude on their rights to pursue life and liberty and all that.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
I think it looks stupid but hey, if you want to then do it. I see nothing wrong with doing what you want to do.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:36 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
I don't mind nose piercings, as long as they're discreet.

Other facial piercings kind of rub me the wrong way...I especially dislike it when people streth their earlobes out like an inch wide. I don't have a problem with it, I just personally don't like it...

Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
Hate facial piercings. All of them. And tongues too. Im not even keen on ear piercings. The only one I find even vaguely attractive and tolerable is the tiny little jewel on the side of the nose.

As a comedian once said about facial piercings, it looks like "they had fallen face first into a tackle box". I agree, looks like shrapnel damage.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:17 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
Self mutilation is weird and a real turn off when it appears on the opposite sex, just like tattoos. But to each his own.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
Piercings, other than the ear, make me think a person has no self esteem and is just looking to enhance his/her image to others due to the fact that they have no confidence in their own personality or how they look naturally.
If you don't have the ability to impress someone with what is natural about you, then piercings are just a way of admitting that you will have to use fake stimulation to impress others and even yourself.
Excessive tattoo's fall in the same catagory.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:53 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
I recently talked with my friends and parents about getting a labret. However, they seem concerned about others' perception of me or think facial piercing are weird.

What do you think? Are facial piercing cool? or strange? or weird or whatever?
Are you old enough to make this decision on your own or do you have to have parents' permission? If you go ahead with this, will you lose favor with or support from the parents? Is that important to you?

Those considerations aside, here's how I look at facial piercings: It depends. Just like with any accessory, piercings can look nice or tacky. One might be fine. Wearing something in both eyebrows, the nose, both sides of the lips, the tongue and all the way up both ears might be a wee too much.

It also depends on the size and flashiness of the jewelry and the shape and structure of the face. The same piercing that looks great on one person might look terrible on another.

Aside from my ears, I've never had anything pierced so I don't know about current piercing technology. Is there a way to do stick-on jewelry in the place you want your piercing? That way you can try it on and wear it around for a few weeks to see how it looks and what reactions you get. Because facial piercings are not commonplace in the US, if you're here, you very well may get some negative reactions.

As someone else said, ultimately, it's your body to do with what you want (assuming you're of age). If negative reactions from others, particularly family and friends, will cause you distress, you may want to think twice about this. On the other hand, if you can live with stares and the possibility of a few lost opportunities, go for it. You can always take the jewelry out if you change your mind.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Noise piercings are becoming more and more common. I know more than a few women in their 50's who have their nose pierced and I've had my noise pierced for over 10 years. I've had to take out the very small stud a few times for some of the more conservative jobs that I've had, but it hasn't been an issue for the past 6 years of my professional life, so I guess it depends on where you live and work. It isn't as big of a deal where I live, but in other parts of the US, it might be.

That being said, I do think you are wise to consider the issue of scarring.

I'm not a fan of facial piercings beyond the nose, but I don't necessarily make any judgments about people who have them with the exception of being a bit concerned about someone who has excessive facial piercings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.