Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,904,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Jeez who cares? It sounds like you think it's wrong or something. Like eew, why is "spanish writing" infecting my tube of Crest?
Ever hear of the principle of the matter?

If you moved to Italy, would you refuse to learn Italian and expect everyone to speak English to you? Wouldn't that seem rather arrogant and ingorant? So why is not arrogant and ignorant of immigrants to the USA to refuse to speak English?

The principle of the matter is that when you move to another country, you are expected to integrate into their culture and society, not the other way around. There was a time when immigrants to the USA wanted not just live in America but to be American - now they expect America to change for them. Why?

I moved to another country and fortunately, it was another English speaking country. But I quickly had to learn how to integrate into their culture and society in many other different ways. Why should the same not be expected of immigrants to the US?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,724,464 times
It takes me 1-2 seconds longer to read products and things! I am so outraged!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 PM

350 posts, read 1,118,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
As long as they have the English side.. why complain.
Because not only on products, but on our educational communications, ballots, etc. are printed in several languages = tax dollars paying for this...
This is the US. We don't go to other countries and cry for them to print English on eveything. We learn the language. If you come to the US, learn our language. American tax payers should not have to pay for foreign languages on everything.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,730,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

If you moved to Italy, would you refuse to learn Italian and expect everyone to speak English to you? Wouldn't that seem rather arrogant and ingorant? So why is not arrogant and ignorant of immigrants to the USA to refuse to speak English?

The principle of the matter is that when you move to another country, you are expected to integrate into their culture and society, not the other way around. There was a time when immigrants to the USA wanted not just live in America but to be American - now they expect America to change for them. Why?

I moved to another country and fortunately, it was another English speaking country. But I quickly had to learn how to integrate into their culture and society in many other different ways. Why should the same not be expected of immigrants to the US?
I seem to recall when I was in Italy last summer, that many restaurants and other establishments had English translations. They were willing to translate for us ignorant Americans in order to make some money off of us. Is it not the same with American products? You want a large Hispanic population to buy your product, you make it easy for them. Comprende?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,583,403 times
Yes, it all boils down to the LARGENESS of the Hispanic population in America these days.

There's a lot of them. They make money. They have spending power. They don't HAVE to learn English as long as companies think they can make money off them.

There are WAY more Spanish speaking immigrants (legal and non) in the U.S. today than there ever were Polish speaking, Norwegian speaking, or even Italian speaking immigrants back in the old days.

"Do the math."

Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,321,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
bowing down to one race that doesn't know English and in some cases, refuses to learn it.
Racist comment?
Who told you that only hispanics speak spanish?

If you are gonna complain about this, you can start with these people
http://www.cnn.com/espanol/
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/

Last edited by Dopo; 02-23-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,229,521 times
I see French on a lot of stuff as well. Lots of things are sold in multiple countries, and there are tens of millions of Spanish speaking people in this country.

It's always in English as well...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,543,612 times
There is alot more to the entire issue than spanish on labels or on recordings. When one reads the comments, its obvious who sees that and basically those that don't give a crap. One does not live in a country other than their own, year after year and not learn the language. I know that because I have lived in three countries in my life. I am from the USA I did not immigrate here. I am fluent in two languages and limited in a third. It is called respect to learn the language, and I do not see that from several groups of immigrants in todays america. I also do not see any interest into blending into american society, so as far as I am concerned is this. Really how foolish are so many americans not to see the language of america and its culture, going down the drain along with the messed up economy.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,531,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

OK, next time try moving to another country where English is *not* the first language and then come back and tell me how easy it is to pick up another language as an adult. What other languages do you speak, oh linguistic moralist? Oh, you mean you haven't picked up another language, like from watching television or something? You just lazy!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,901,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I seem to recall when I was in Italy last summer, that many restaurants and other establishments had English translations. They were willing to translate for us ignorant Americans in order to make some money off of us. Is it not the same with American products? You want a large Hispanic population to buy your product, you make it easy for them. Comprende?
No, that is not the same. They were catering to the tourist demographic.

We are catering to the "domestic" foreigner demographic...illegal or not.

Huge difference and corporate America is the driving force behind the assimilation of immigrants into our society at the expense of our laws and way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.