Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Let's never forget, the Mexicans stole the property, FIRST, from the Native American Indians (they did that in their own country too-no Indian reservations, like ours, in Mexico) and if there should be an official language in the U.S. it should be some Native American language. THAT settles this issue! No Spanish! No English!

I've no problem with Indians speaking their native tongues and no problem with anyone that caters to their doing so.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
People seem to forget that it's only been less than 100 years that most countries in the world acknowledge other countries right to exist ...................I'm not saying it's right but how can you call Americans evil for taking New Mexico from Mexico but not call the Zulus evil for taking huge swaths of land from other African cultures or England evil for having totally screwed up Iraqs boundaries and culture ............ You get the picture?

Swell. Though I didn't call The United States evil for stealing land from Mexico and Spain or go into a big guilt trip about it. We stole all our land from somebody one way or another but I can live with it; I sure as Hell ain't going anywhere.

So what does your little history lesson have to do with my point that Spanish speakers have their own inherant stake in The United States?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
In 2 ways:

Have you purchased any small appliances lately, i.e. vacuum, etc.? The instructions books are twice as long as they used to be, and the Spanish is 1/2 or more of the booklet. It's a waste of paper (trees) and ink, etc., making the product cost more and wasting precious resources.

Having Spanish "words" is just indicative of how the Spanish language is gradually taking over our country. By 2040, whites will be in the minority. I wonder then if English will still be the language of the land for our grandchildren?

I see that you live in a small town. Doubt you have too many Mexican groceries there or bunches of Latinos hanging around waiting for day labor jobs. Just wait... Your time will come and you'll be affected personally. THEN you'll care.
People seem to forget that our "English" language has also changed over the centuries and developed from other languages. Things change, people. Get over it.
(And what what in the heck is wrong with Mexican groceries? Put down your cheeseburger and see that there is a big world out there.)

Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I used to use an ATM at a well known bank in NY. When you put your card in you have to press whether you want to proceed with your transaction in English, Spanish, Chinese, or Greek. This one particular time I pressed English and the screen came on in Greek. Every time I pressed English the same thing happened. Greek.

I finally decided to try the Spanish. Yes, it came up in Spanish. I said what the hell I should know enough from my HS Spanish and growing up in NY with a large Hispanic population to fudge my way through this. I did and didn't have that much of a problem. Greek or Chinese though was just not going to happen.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:58 PM

45 posts, read 126,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I see French on a lot of stuff as well. Lots of things are sold in multiple countries, and there are tens of millions of Spanish speaking people in this country.

It's always in English as well...
honestly, i always wondered why there were French labels because I have really only met maybe 2 French speakers in my life in the U.S.

I kind of thought that the labels were put on there to be politically correct so as not to offend anyone

i really don't see the U.S. ever changing from being predominantly English speaking

Last edited by Bevil; 03-01-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
If you buy something that was made in Canada, you will probably see both English and French.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Lots of Foreign Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
People seem to forget that our "English" language has also changed over the centuries and developed from other languages. Things change, people. Get over it.
(And what what in the heck is wrong with Mexican groceries? Put down your cheeseburger and see that there is a big world out there.)
Hey, I've eaten lots of "foreign" foods all over the US and in Europe. No problem with the food--love Mexican and Cuban food. But don't like the tacky stores and the crime that comes, esp. with illegals. Plus, have you heard about the Queso (cheese, for you non Spanish speakers) that's being made in bathtubs at homes and is contaminated. Not a good thing to buy at a Mexican grocery, so be careful.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Quote:
Hey, I've eaten lots of "foreign" foods all over the US and in Europe. No problem with the food--love Mexican and Cuban food. But don't like the tacky stores and the crime that comes, esp. with illegals. Plus, have you heard about the Queso (cheese, for you non Spanish speakers) that's being made in bathtubs at homes and is contaminated. Not a good thing to buy at a Mexican grocery, so be careful.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass on the cheese.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
I've noticed it a lot the last three or four years. TV ads and billboards in Spanish too. Spanish speakers represent a huge segment of the market and are the fastest growing minority. Its funny but I don't even take notice of the Spanish labelling on products anymore. In a few years we'll have products with labelling in Chinese perhaps.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times
Quote:
In 2 ways:

Have you purchased any small appliances lately, i.e. vacuum, etc.? The instructions books are twice as long as they used to be, and the Spanish is 1/2 or more of the booklet. It's a waste of paper (trees) and ink, etc., making the product cost more and wasting precious resources.

Having Spanish "words" is just indicative of how the Spanish language is gradually taking over our country. By 2040, whites will be in the minority. I wonder then if English will still be the language of the land for our grandchildren?

I see that you live in a small town. Doubt you have too many Mexican groceries there or bunches of Latinos hanging around waiting for day labor jobs. Just wait... Your time will come and you'll be affected personally. THEN you'll care.
Whites will not be "in the minority". They will be the largest group in a pluralistic country, meaning that no one group will be larger than the other groups combined.

And the reason that products have instructions in multiple languages (English, Spanish, French) is so they can legally be sold in Canada, Mexico, or the United States. Send it all over in one crate, on one ship, then distribute it from there. Probably saves resources in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.