Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Because it's simply too dangerous, because of local racism or other reasons? Not talking about segregation of course lol...Anyway, I don't want to stir the pot or anything, just curious...I mean for any race: white, black, native, asian...If you're white and you walk into Inglewood at night is there like a reasonable chance you will be mugged - like 25% and more? Or is it still less likely, than 1/10? What about some small town in the south that is run by the KKK? I guess there's the Hispanic/Black thing, but how bad is that? Anyway, just wondering where the ethnic or racial no-man's land is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 AM

567 posts, read 1,446,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Because it's simply too dangerous, because of local racism or other reasons? Not talking about segregation of course lol...Anyway, I don't want to stir the pot or anything, just curious...I mean for any race: white, black, native, asian...If you're white and you walk into Inglewood at night is there like a reasonable chance you will be mugged - like 25% and more? Or is it still less likely, than 1/10? What about some small town in the south that is run by the KKK? I guess there's the Hispanic/Black thing, but how bad is that? Anyway, just wondering where the ethnic or racial no-man's land is.
yes, if your white i would assume you'd have a higher chance of becoming a victim in a place like inglewood because you stand out more. same goes for alot of small towns with alot of white people i suppose.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Any black ghetto is going to be dangerous for whites to be walking around, but then again, those neighborhoods are just dangerous for anyone to include blacks. Places like Compton, East St. Louis, Brownsville Brooklyn, Dorchester/Roxbury in Boston, parts of DC, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland and just about any big city in America. Parts of LA can be dangerous for blacks when walking through Mexican gang terrirory too. It wasn't long ago that a Mexican gang (Avenues? 18th St?) were hunting blacks on the street at random in Los Angeles. Not sure if that's still going on.

There are places in NYC like Howard Beach or Bensonhurst which aren't the safest place for blacks to be walking around. I'm sure there are places in the deep south that aren't all that safe for blacks either.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Vidor,TX - Blacks beware.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Interesting...I have a friend from Cleveland too afraid to go downtown. I mean no wonder these rust-belt cities are dying...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,135 times
Wow..such places still exist in this world. Well why would anyone ever want to visit places where ignorance runs rampant throughout. Howard Beach is not that Bad...just people who don't like the fact the black people have money..nice homes..businesses and real lives..besides the ones their parents told them African Americans have

Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Howard Beach has improved, but that's because many Italians moved from there. Still, if I were black I'd be hesitant to stop for a slice of pizza after dark in Howard Beach.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting...I have a friend from Cleveland too afraid to go downtown. I mean no wonder these rust-belt cities are dying...
Yep, so many people believe all the stereotypes about these cities, and are really afraid of nothing.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM

I don't believe they are worried for nothing. Just because you walk around a dangerous neighborhood a few times and nothing happens, doesn't mean the law of average's won't catch up with you. Play with fire long enough and eventually you will get burned. The likelihood of being a victim in dangerous areas is much higher, that's why they are considered dangerous areas. I walked around many of the worst neighborhoods of NYC, Boston and Jersey for years before something happened. I'm actually surprised I wasn't a statistic much sooner.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Vidor,TX - Blacks beware.
He speaks the truth...Texas city haunted by 'no blacks after dark' past - CNN.com

But I don't know about the majority of small southern towns being inhospitable to black folks. I'm thinking most towns in the South are at least 1/4 black residents to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.