Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 AM

125 posts, read 448,225 times

Advertisements

American is a nationality.. I celebrate 4th of July and have an American flag at my house...but I also go to Oktoberfest every year and try to stay in touch with my roots.

We are a nation of immigrants. The constitution and history holds us together. The backrounds and cultures make us unique. If everyone just said tomarrow that they were American and didn't want anything to do with their ancestory. ST Patricks day would be gone, Cinco De Mayo, Mardi Gras, ethnic foods, Oktoberfests, dialects..We would lose alot.

I would guess that if youre a mut that you would put what stands out the most or is most predominant or what interests you the most. Like if you're 1/8 English, 1/8 French, 2/8 Scothc-Irish and 1/2 Irish you go with Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
My parents immigrated from Italy. I was born and raised here but spent most of my summers in Italy.

And honestly? I'm American. I consider myself human, beyond the cultural affectations I was raised in. It no longer has meaning to me to call myself "Italian", especially being a tall, thin blond woman-- obviously we're probably German or Germanic. We're from Milan.

It's scary and I suppose "meaningless" to allow yourself to not identify with an intangible concept like race or nationality. You slip into meaninglessness and some people have trouble losing that identity.

Ancestry is so mixed nowadays, who can even tell?
No one is saying you aren't an American. Everyone born here is an American. But you're ancestry is not American. That's just a matter of fact.

For someone in my situation, who is of mixed ancestry, I list the one that I've identified with the most which is African.

Now, those who don't identify with only one of their ancestries pretty much have the luxury of choosing whichever one they want.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No one is saying you aren't an American. Everyone born here is an American. But you're ancestry is not American. That's just a matter of fact.

For someone in my situation, who is of mixed ancestry, I list the one that I've identified with the most which is African.

Now, those who don't identify with only one of their ancestries pretty much have the luxury of choosing whichever one they want.
I guess what I am asking is that at what point does it become so diluted it is barely there? When do you only identify with America? I am fourth generation american on my Dad's side, my great-grandma was English but I have met her all of twice, my parents divorced when I was little. My Mom's side has been here since about 1680. Nobody in my family identifies with anything but American. Heck, my mom thinks that my husband who has only been in this country for 7 years (Irish) should quit identifying as Irish (not that I agree) and identify as American. Where does it end?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I guess what I am asking is that at what point does it become so diluted it is barely there? When do you only identify with America? I am fourth generation american on my Dad's side, my great-grandma was English but I have met her all of twice, my parents divorced when I was little. My Mom's side has been here since about 1680. Nobody in my family identifies with anything but American. Heck, my mom thinks that my husband who has only been in this country for 7 years (Irish) should quit identifying as Irish (not that I agree) and identify as American. Where does it end?
It seems to me that it's your nationality that you're concerned about, which is totally open to whatever you consider yourself.

But ancestry is purely biological and cannot be changed. Just because your husband does not feel or act Irish, that does not stop him from being a descendant of the Irish. If that's where his roots are, there's no way of changing that. That is his ancestry regardless of how long his family has been here.

The point I'm trying to make is that your ancestry does not dictate who you are, it's only about where your people are from.

Your husband is American with Irish roots. You are American with English roots.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
It seems to me that it's your nationality that you're concerned about, which is totally open to whatever you consider yourself.

But ancestry is purely biological and cannot be changed. Just because your husband does not feel or act Irish, that does not stop him from being a descendant of the Irish. If that's where his roots are, there's no way of changing that. That is his ancestry regardless of how long his family has been here.

The point I'm trying to make is that your ancestry does not dictate who you are, it's only about where your people are from.

Your husband is American with Irish roots. You are American with English roots.
No, My husband is Irish, period lol He's not a citizen yet.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
No, My husband is Irish, period lol He's not a citizen yet.
Oh, I just noticed where I misread your post.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Oh, I just noticed where I misread your post.
That's ok

Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Long Island: You're either italian or jewish, lol.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I think it's ignorant to register yourself as American. You just cancel out your family history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Well mine has been here since 1901 and i consider myself American. but i don't Ignore the fact that my heritage is originally Italian.
I am one of people you say is "ignorant" for calling myself American. Not all of us have ancestry that we can sum up with one foreign nationality.

Some of my ancestors were French Huguenots who came to South Carolina in the late 1600's. Some of them were English who emigrated between 1680 and 1750. Some of them were Germans, who arrived between 1730-1765. Some are Welsh and Swiss immigrants from the 1730's-1740's. A large portion of them were Scots who came down from Pennsylvania and Virginia after the Revolutionary War.

I know that my last name originated in Normandy. If I go by the origin of the names in my extended family, I probably have a lot of French and Scottish blood. Regardless, even if I knew where every single European ancestor hailed from, the U.S. Census doesn't offer that level of detail. I'm not going to check "English," I'm not going to check "German," I'm not going to check "French", et cetera.

So if you were me, what ancestry would you choose? I don't see a "White southern mutt" option.

Last edited by le roi; 02-25-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I am one of people you say is "ignorant" for calling myself American. Not all of us have ancestry that we can sum up with one foreign nationality.

Some of my ancestors were French Huguenots who came to South Carolina in the late 1600's. Some of them were English who emigrated between 1680 and 1750. Some of them were Germans, who arrived between 1730-1765. Some are Welsh and Swiss immigrants from the 1730's-1740's. A large portion of them were Scots who came down from Pennsylvania and Virginia after the Revolutionary War.

I know that my last name originated in Normandy. If I go by the origin of the names in my extended family, I probably have a lot of French and Scottish blood. Regardless, even if I knew where every single European ancestor hailed from, the U.S. Census doesn't offer that level of detail. I'm not going to check "English," I'm not going to check "German," I'm not going to check "French", et cetera.

So if you were me, what ancestry would you choose? I don't see a "White southern mutt" option.
Well while I wouldn't go so far as to call anyone ignorant as Newarkbomb did, he does have a point. Simply because your ancestry is not American. I see you listed French, Scottish, English, and German. You mean to tell me that there isn't even one of those you identify with the most?

If "European" isn't an option and you really have no idea what other country your family is from then marking "American" would be appropriate.
People who choose American just because they want to are skewing the results.

Even still, if you are white, black, asian, etc. and you have no known native blood than your ancestry is not American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.