Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times

Advertisements

Drat those "Appalachians" aren't we ther worst sort?

Cle, sorry about the confusion... I must have been responding to another poster who saw a news clip about a crime ridden neighborhood in Knoxville that was almost 100% white. The Hillbilly ghetto next to me has a lot of property crime and some drug dealing but nothing worthy of the national news. OK, maybe a clip about a homeowner shooting a burglar in the behind as he exited the window - that is if a infotainment show was having a slow news day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 12:41 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
I grew up here: //www.city-data.com/city/Home-G...alifornia.html, from 1986-1996.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:18 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
And I lived on Concord in HG from 1963 to 1968.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
When I was a kid my family lived here from 1946-1954. The vacant lot right on the corner of Springfield and Ohio was were my former apartment building stood. It was huge. It was torn down sometime in the 60's or 70's I think. It was never replaced. The building and all the stores around it at the time, grocery, butcher, little general store, tavern and candy store were all owned by what was then called "The Mob." Or as we said in Chicago, "Da Mob."

We kids walked to the grammar school which is still standing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/sp...c6dcab!6m1!1e1

When I moved to Portland, OR, I decided back in the 80's to move to a neighborhood on the SE part of town. Everyone told me it was a "bad" neighborhood that had some drug trafficking and skinheads. I didn't think it looked so bad. It was very convenient to everything and the skinheads were being cleared out. At that time it consisted of mostly gays, retirees and hippies.

It was a bit dicey but today, nearly thirty years later, it is one of Portland's most trendy, expensive Yuppie neighborhoods in the city.

Go figure.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM

593 posts, read 667,252 times
I didn't grow up in the ghetto, but in college i lived right on the border of it in Buffalo. University of Buffalo butts right up against the east-side with a "very" small buffer of maybe 2 blocks (and that's being generous) in-between. Nothing crazy happened here to me personally but in my 2 years living there multiple people (non-college students/east-side people) were shot to death within 100 yards of my house. I remember one innocent girl in particular who was shot to death at a party down the street (Minnesota Ave). I don't remember the specifics surrounding it, but i know she was completely innocent.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM

638 posts, read 977,659 times
Orange Mound Memphis TN

Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,341 times
As my screen name suggests, I come from Houston's Acres Homes 'hood. Acres Homes is one of the hoods in Houston that many of the current/former Swishahouse rappers come from. My parents and grandparents were born and raised in the 44 (the nickname for Acres Homes because of the METRO bus route #44 which goes through AH), and it was a peaceful neighborhood back in their time. My parents tell me how they left their front door open in AH and not worry about break-ins. When the 80's came (the decade I was born), that's when Acres Homes started going downhill with violent crime and drug peddling. Acres Homes was a community you didn't want to be in at night, let alone after dark in the 80s and 90s because it was notoriously dangerous; ask any of the Houston police officers that grew up in AH or worked the area back in the 80s. W. Little York Park used to be littered with drug dealers and gang members. Houston police used to chase bad guys up & down W. Montgomery, Antoine, W. Little York and Tidwell. I remember when two gang members stormed into a home and executed a family of 5; blew them away with a pistol grip shotgun and M-1 carbine rifle. This was the first time Acres Homes suffered from a mass murder. The shooters were caught and sentenced to death for multiple murders; took place in '85. The crime rate in AH started dropping in the late 90's, because most of the neighborhood OG's were dead, locked up or on Death Row. Acres Homes isn't bad like it used to be, but crime still exists to some degree. The surviving OG's living in the hood go by an ethical code; they do NOT harm children or old folks. Affordable housing is being built throughout the community, so Acres Homes doesn't look the same as it did 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:34 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,797 times
WTF? Pelham Parkway is not a hood. It's an area filled with co-ops that I'll never be able to afford.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 AM

434 posts, read 1,040,339 times
10 year old thread, created by a bored 20 year old. Not sure what what I was writing there, most if not all where I grew up were lower income/working class, not hoods or ghettos.

You're right, Pelham Parkway was mostly working class to middle class, heard its still a decent neighborhood. Pelham Parkway Houses and the other projects nearby were low income not really ghetto. Not sure if it still that way today, but when I was a kid (90s) they weren't bad.

Last edited by Ericmrtt; 07-08-2019 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 09:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
10 year old thread, created by a bored 20 year old. Not sure what what I was writing there, most if not all where I grew up were lower income/working class, not hoods or ghettos.

You're right, Pelham Parkway was mostly working class to middle class, heard its still a decent neighborhood. Pelham Parkway Houses and the other projects nearby were low income not really ghetto. Not sure if it still that way today, but when I was a kid (90s) they weren't bad.
Pelham Parkway is upper middle class and more immigrant based, I believe the doctors at Einstein tend to live there. One of my friends lives in a low income housing development there. There are many detached houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.