Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Paula Deen- FAMOUS Southern cook, even endorses Virginia Hams in magazines.
Be careful. She also has recipes for Chicken Divan, a French-inspired dish from the Divan Parisien Restaurant in of all places, NEW YORK CITY!

Or her Mexican Chicken recipe could encourage Richmond to "Remember the Alamo", wait that was in Texas -- the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
be careful. She also has recipes for chicken divan, a french-inspired dish from the divan parisien restaurant in of all places, new york city!

Or her mexican chicken recipe could encourage richmond to "remember the alamo", wait that was in texas -- the south.
texas= west

Old 02-22-2009, 03:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
texas= west
Texas=Texas

Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I linked to my source, which comes from the National Parks Service website. I didn't make it all up. I'm in no way saying that everything was demolished because obviously it wasn't, but according to the reputable source I quoted, much was razed in the name of progress. That's not unique to Atlanta at all, but it did happen, and it wasn't just a handful of historic buildings. Also, the webpage didn't say that most of the early skyscrapers were demolished, but that many of them were.

Please don't take this as a swipe on Atlanta because it's not (I often defend Atlanta), but this is just one of the sad facts of the city's history. I don't feel as though I'm distorting anything. Historically, preservation just hasn't been the city's strong suit. That's pretty much the consensus among those familiar with the city's history and the history of preservation in Atlanta and I've not yet run across a reputable source that has stated otherwise.
I'm not taking offense to your statements...but it is a common misconception that Atlanta, like Charlotte and some other cities, didn't preserve its historic buildings. I've heard it said often, but it just isn't true at all - there are turn of the century buildings galore in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta. Like I said before, there have been some very noteable buildings lost to demolition, but only a handful...and only a fraction of the noteable historic structures that have been preserved.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Default Are GA and SC not the Deep South?

According to someone here, Virginia is not the South, and NC is just barely the South.

Since GA and SC are parellell to the Southern half of NC, that would mean that they are not Deep South states , but just barely in the South as well.

What do y'all think?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Some interesting websites that document historic structures and preservation in Atlanta...

A good site for viewing "then and now" photos of Downtown and Midtown Atlanta. You will notice that most of the buildings are still in place: ATLANTA TIME MACHINE

A listing of landmark/historic buildings and districts: Atlanta Urban Design Commission

Atlanta preservation lists the biggest losses in the history of Atlanta architecture: Atlanta Preservation Center (http://www.preserveatlanta.com/advocacy.htm - broken link)

A walk through the different downtown districts and information historic buildings in each: Architecture

Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM

Are you completely out of control with regards to this forum? How many inane threads can one person come up with?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
I was just thinking the very same thing Deacon when I noted the subject line and then read the topic. We're starting to get an overdose here that is akin to what we went through with the "O" word. Won't say it though. :-)

Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Good grief, I mean seriously. Give it a friggin' REST.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Richmond is heavily connected to NC. It is closer to NC than it is to DC.
But it's closer to DC than to any major city in NC. DC influences Richmond more than any city in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.