Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I will agree that Sussex county isn't really that southern but its rural and has a little southern influence to me. I have family from southern Deleware who have southern like accents that are distinctly different from the one my family in MD has. Maybe you haven't met the right Delewareans
I am a native. When I lived down south, I was definitely pegged as a Yankee whenever I'd open my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 PM

201 posts, read 574,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I am a native. When I lived down south, I was definitely pegged as a Yankee whenever I'd open my mouth.
I'm sure most Delawareans do sound like yankees to a southerner. I was just watching some commercials from Delaware last night on a local station and a lot of them had a little bit of south in their accent. You have to really pay attention to catch it, something I do every time someone talks to me for some reason. But still I agree that Delaware is not that southern, but it's transitional to me so it's kind of a start in my mind.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What is solidly southern?
I was just trying to describe/differentiate states whose southerness seems to me between Deep South and Mostly Southern.

I.e. Tenn and N.C. are completely (solidly) Southern, but they do feel a little different from the Deep South states where the Southern-ness just "hits you over the head" so to speak.

"Mostly Southern" states feel southern but also you are start to see/feel the edges...if that makes any sense.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I was just trying to describe/differentiate states whose southerness seems to me between Deep South and Mostly Southern.

I.e. Tenn and N.C. are completely (solidly) Southern, but they do feel a little different from the Deep South states where the Southern-ness just "hits you over the head" so to speak.

"Mostly Southern" states feel southern but also you are start to see/feel the edges...if that makes any sense.
I see. NC feels like upper south.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I see. NC feels like upper south.
Not completely. Eastern NC (roughly the part of the state east of I-95) definitely has a couple of deep South traits. It's mainly the Piedmont Crescent, the three major urban areas that run along the I-85 corridor, plus Asheville, that give NC more of an upper South vibe.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Charlotte is very upper south to me. This is coming from a Louisianan.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I honestly don't see a huge difference between Maryland and VA with the exception of Baltimore.
The Washington, D.C. area is not culturally southern according to most people's definition and perception. Only when you leave this area heading mainly south do you enter the upper south.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Washington, D.C. area is not culturally southern according to most people's definition and perception. Only when you leave this area heading mainly south do you enter the upper south.
Neither is NOVA.

Edit: Duh, didn't see the area part. Sorry.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Neither is NOVA.

Edit: Duh, didn't see the area part. Sorry.
NOVA to me feels like the true transition from the South to the North.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
The south starts at Georgia, and ends at the Georgia line. This causes anything west of Georgia to be south central or southwest, anything north of Georgia to be the upper south, and Florida to be lower Jersey.

Really now. I have seen people on this website claim that parts of Illinois and Indiana are the south, that Texas is more "southern" (in attitude) than Alabama, and that Florida is not in "the south" at all. There seems to be a fascination with "the south" on CD that focuses on things as civically arbitrary as state lines. As a southerner, it's really pretty interesting to watch the region get picked apart, analyzed to death, mocked, scorned, misinterpreted, and underestimated. Keep it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.