Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 04:50 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

You have a certain point here. The past is the past. However, it is the study of history. And -- at least IMHO - the greatest roadmap to the future is what happened in the past. I appreciate that you say the South today should not feel guilty over slavery. Especially, since the institution has existed from the dawn of time and practiced all over the world and by every race/ethnic group, and upon all of the other. Africans sold their own into slavery, and there were -- proportionally speaking -- many black slave-owners in the cotton South. And, of course, that the American slave trade was a purely northern commodity.
Not buying what the Africans were selling could have worked, especially since white Americans have always been capable of working their own fields and building their own houses.

And Africans were wrong - certainly are not embraced for selling their own of people - just as whites are wrong for taxing their own just to give to another race of people. Profiteers never learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Wholly Southern:
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Tennessee
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia

Partially Southern (some parts of State feel Southern, but other parts do not at all):
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Maryland

Noticeable Southern influence (small pockets of Southern-ish culture):
Missouri
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio

Old 04-25-2020, 12:44 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Wholly Southern:
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Tennessee
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia

Partially Southern (some parts of State feel Southern, but other parts do not at all):
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Maryland

Noticeable Southern influence (small pockets of Southern-ish culture):
Missouri
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Surprised you put Virginia in the "Wholly Southern" category.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Surprised you put Virginia in the "Wholly Southern" category.
It held the capital of the Confederacy. Historical associations are part of my analysis. Only the D.C. Suburbs feel "not Southern" to me.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
It held the capital of the Confederacy. Historical associations are part of my analysis. Only the D.C. Suburbs feel "not Southern" to me.
The DC suburbs is the biggest metropolitan area in the state, containing a nice chunk of the state's population. Even the capital of the Confederacy, Richmond, doesn't feel as Southern as many other cities in the region. That sounds like enough reason to put it in the "Partially Southern" category.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:27 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The DC suburbs is the biggest metropolitan area in the state, containing a nice chunk of the state's population. Even the capital of the Confederacy, Richmond, doesn't feel as Southern as many other cities in the region. That sounds like enough reason to put it in the "Partially Southern" category.
Agree with you. The largest chunk by economics and population live in an area that is nothing like the South but I could see how someone not familiar with the area would just lump it all in with the South. You dont even start to hear Southern accents until you hit Fredericksburg. Even VA politics are changing fast.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:10 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Agree with you. The largest chunk by economics and population live in an area that is nothing like the South but I could see how someone not familiar with the area would just lump it all in with the South. You dont even start to hear Southern accents until you hit Fredericksburg. Even VA politics are changing fast.
These type threads are always confusing because some people emphasize the historical aspects of the south and others do not. Furthermore, it depends on your age as to how you perceive things. 50 years ago NOVA and DC were much more southern than they are now. As were many of the other major metros of the south.

I think younger people would be kind of shocked if they could go back in time and see how much places like the DMV, Atlanta, Nashville and South Florida have changed since say...... 1965.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:15 PM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
If your state both allowed slavery and seceded from the union, its Southern. I don't care how international you've become or how many tech companies are setting up shop in your state. Slavery + secession = The South.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
If your state both allowed slavery and seceded from the union, its Southern. I don't care how international you've become or how many tech companies are setting up shop in your state. Slavery + secession = The South.
That would make Missouri a southern state. I think most would agree though it's a Midwestern state with southern tendencies.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:29 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Close but you're certainly forgetting about Reconstruction and Jim Crow laws as a requirement. Slavery+secession+reconstruction+Jim Crow laws=The South (or a way to gauge it at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.