Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: city vs city vs city etc. Where should I go?
Minneapolis 5 21.74%
Denver 6 26.09%
Dallas 5 21.74%
Milwaukee 1 4.35%
other 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM

7 posts, read 24,277 times

Advertisements

Problem: I have been contemplating what city I want to move to, but I change my mind everyday (I have been in the same city all my life). Solution: Take a poll, and give it a go!

I have read, studied, and even visited a few cities recently, and I can't decide. So I am going to provide some info for you, then do everything that I can to move to the winning place (providing a good case is made). If everything works out, I will report back in the future.

So here it is....

Education/Experience: I am a single 24 year old male from ND, with a bachelors degree in business management. Unfortunately, I am undecided as to what career path interests me (open for suggestions). I have helped manage apartments (leasing, maintenance) for about 8 years. In addition, I took a job doing teller/csr work at a bank after college, but recently decided I need to move to a bigger and better place.

Currently, I live in one of the coldest places in the US where -30 is expected during the winter. My ideal place would consist of a combination of the following qualities (some will have to be sacrificed) Warm, but with 4 seasons, lakes, biking year round, easy to make friends, music scene, pro sports, kayaking, affordable but safe, good singles scene, lack of nasty bugs (especially inside living quarters), and lastly a place where someone can get ahead financially- I say this because I was considering moving to San Fran....but excluded that idea. Also, Minneapolis would probably be the easiest move, but sometimes that's not all that matters.

Wherever I decide to move, I will be packing a car load and buying everything else I NEED when I get there. I will be living alone because I am sort of a neat freak, and because I have pets. I am a laid back person looking for your opinion.

So whats your opinion/suggestion and why?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM

73 posts, read 174,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND-Dude View Post
Problem: I have been contemplating what city I want to move to, but I change my mind everyday (I have been in the same city all my life). Solution: Take a poll, and give it a go!

I have read, studied, and even visited a few cities recently, and I can't decide. So I am going to provide some info for you, then do everything that I can to move to the winning place (providing a good case is made). If everything works out, I will report back in the future.

So here it is....

Education/Experience: I am a single 24 year old male from ND, with a bachelors degree in business management. Unfortunately, I am undecided as to what career path interests me (open for suggestions). I have helped manage apartments (leasing, maintenance) for about 8 years. In addition, I took a job doing teller/csr work at a bank after college, but recently decided I need to move to a bigger and better place.

Currently, I live in one of the coldest places in the US where -30 is expected during the winter. My ideal place would consist of a combination of the following qualities (some will have to be sacrificed) Warm, but with 4 seasons, lakes, biking year round, easy to make friends, music scene, pro sports, kayaking, affordable but safe, good singles scene, lack of nasty bugs (especially inside living quarters), and lastly a place where someone can get ahead financially- I say this because I was considering moving to San Fran....but excluded that idea. Also, Minneapolis would probably be the easiest move, but sometimes that's not all that matters.

Wherever I decide to move, I will be packing a car load and buying everything else I NEED when I get there. I will be living alone because I am sort of a neat freak, and because I have pets. I am a laid back person looking for your opinion.

So whats your opinion/suggestion and why?

Thank you!
Rockville, MD, close to the city (music scene, singles scene, pro sports) also close to the country (kayaking, lakes, biking)
there's 2 good lakes in Rockville for fishing (or whatever else you do at a lake) Lake Needwood & Lake Bernard Frank, also there's a bike trail in nearby rock creek park, the Potomac River flows nearby, some of the areas have pretty good whitewater for kyaking, there's is also a good nightlife along a street called Rockville Pike, bars, a few clubs, restaurants, there's 4 seasons here too, winter is pretty cold but NOTHING compared to what y'all get up there in North Dakota, the bugs are the only problem, summer here is hot & humid so the mosquitos are in full buzz around July & August, but you can always get bug repellent, Rockville is a short drive from Washington, DC, the area has been relatively pricey because they're building everything up but ever since the housing market went down the toilet things have gotten cheaper, I suggest moving before it goes up again, the economy has had an effect in the area but not as bad as some other areas, since banks are failing all across the country it's gonna be tough to find the job you want just about anywhere, but if you look hard enough you should find something, your bachelors degree should help on a resume

Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,349,792 times
On your list, I'd go with Dallas. Of the 4 cities, it's the only one that's noticably warmer than your current location (only place you could bike year round). I know of a few people heading to Dallas for financial reasons. Pro sports aplenty. More affordable than Denver.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 PM

7 posts, read 24,277 times
wazmlp - Thanks for the suggestion. Rockville does seem like a good area, plus I know a few people out in DC which would help with the move. I will definitely consider that as an option.
TNKY - Thanks for the input. Dallas does seem like it would be a good area to move to. I think I would miss snow a little bit, but that is not a huge concern for me. Are bugs, such as: scorpions, roaches(especially), and other poisonous things as big of a problem as people make them? From what I have read, as long as your clean you should be good, but what if you leave pet food and water out?
Thanks for the votes, it would be interesting to know what the "other" cities people had in mind were and why. But none the less, thanks again.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,825,135 times
Of the ones on your list, I'd have to go with Dallas.

If I get to pick my own, its Chicago. If you can take a cold winter, and I assume you can being Minneapolis is on your list, then Chicago is the best city in the country.

Just my two cents...

Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,480,617 times
Out of the cities listed, Denver.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,691,655 times
On that list, Minneapolis.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,010,658 times
You said you want somewhere warm, so I'm not sure that Minneapolis is much warmer than where you're at right now.

Of the cities on your list, I'd go with Dallas.

However, you might also want to check out Nashville:
  • Outstanding music scene, and it's not all just country music (it attracts musicians of all genres)
  • Pro sports (NFL, NHL, AAA baseball)
  • Home to a dozen universities including 5 NCAA programs--it's a very young city and is a magnet for singles
  • Two large lakes are within the city limits as well as several smaller lakes
  • Beautiful parks including virgin forests within the city
  • Mild winters and four very distinct seasons
  • Low cost of living for a major city
  • Nice airport which is a hub for Southwest Airlines--cheap air fares to all over the country

Some pics of what I'm talking about (all pics are within Nashville's city limits):

Old 02-28-2009, 06:34 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,480,617 times
I agree Nashville would be a good fit, but I didn't want to vote other because other is so vague.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Of the cities listed (all of which I would consider good candidates), I would choose Dallas based on your criteria. A dynamic, cosmopolitan city with a moderate climate (well, moderate three seasons out of the year), it has a great deal to offer a young single looking for a career path. I have a niece (age 22) that lives there and sings its' praises all the time.
I also like the suggestions of Chicago and Nashville. Consider adding Charlotte, NC to your list as well...since my older sister moved there a couple of years ago, I visit there often and have really come to appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.