Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it worth the money to live in a place you love?
Yes 27 75.00%
No 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times

Advertisements

All this talk about moving to someplace affordable has got me to thinking...

Is it worth the $$$ to live in a place you love? Simple question, simple answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
That depends...Do you love it because you live there, or you live there because you love it..

Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Oh yeah! Definately worth it. IMO, you get what you pay for :>)

Lived in places because I loved them.
Family = only reason I finally came back to present area (much more economical, but quite depressing).

Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
All this talk about moving to someplace affordable has got me to thinking...

Is it worth the $$$ to live in a place you love? Simple question, simple answer.

Absolutely! Life is short, be good to yourself

And just because you love someplace doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be more $$$$ than anyplace else.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Definately not. If Oil City became expensive, I would cash out, sell the house and find another place I love that is affordable. My hard earned money will not go to waste!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Definately not. If Oil City became expensive, I would cash out, sell the house and find another place I love that is affordable. My hard earned money will not go to waste!

Well, if it doesn't go to waste it'll only go to your survivors

Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Definitely. Life is too short to live in a place that you hate.

I don't think many people will argue otherwise, but the difference lies in how they define "place". For some people, that place is a house, and if you give them a nice home, they can come back from the end of their work day whether it is in Kansas or San Francisco and be perfectly happy day in and day out because they love their house. For others, that "place" means a larger community, such as a neighborhood, a city, a state, or perhaps even a country. For me, I fall in the latter. I'd rather live in a cramped studio apartment in a place I love like San Francisco rather than a mansion in someplace like.....Baghdad, any day of the week.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,558 times
Yes, most definitely it's worth it. If it wasn't, I'd have joined the Great Migration that so many other LI'ers seem to be part of.

I define "place" as whatever (be it house, neighborhood, community, city, township, county, state, etc) makes it where you most want to be. Often it's a combination of some or all of those things.

As many here already know, I love Long Island and my only gripe with it is the property tax system as it currently exists. It's a major gripe, to be sure, but I'm not willing to pay the emotional price of leaving LI in order to change that scenario. I too would rather live in a cottage on LI than a McMansion somewhere else, and who knows? someday that might well be the case, LOL! But that's just me, and my personal preference. I understand why others can and do feel differently.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
If it is overpriced,I say no,the stress of living paycheck to paycheck is not worth it. I prefer not to live house poor.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
To flip the question around-- is it worth the opportunity costs of living in a place you love but has no good jobs (even if the "price" is cheap)?

I'd say if you have to work for a living, the answer is no, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.