Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times

Advertisements

Ok...I've gotten my kleenexes out and had a major cry over poor forgotten Philly.....

sniff sniff....what's with the whining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
People don't think of Philly much because there are 50 million people and cities all across the Northeast, and it's smashed between Washington and New York, which get a lot of attention.

It tends to get lost in the mix, especially with its high-image neighbors.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
People don't think of Philly much because there are 50 million people and cities all across the Northeast, and it's smashed between Washington and New York, which get a lot of attention.

It tends to get lost in the mix, especially with its high-image neighbors.
And it's got a TV show named after it (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), a number of movies set in it (Rocky and Sixth Sense immediately come to mind - Oh! How about Philadelphia?!), it's mentioned in numerous songs (anybody remember Boys II Men and Ween?).

C'mon. This inferiority complex is unwarranted.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I didn't realize Philadelphia was so forlorn and unloved.

Maybe it's your proximity to New Jersey.
Dude, you from feakin Texas..............

Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM

12 posts, read 31,651 times
There is no inferiority complex, only to those who are unfamiliar with Philadelphia's richness.
I visited Philadelphia in 2006. There was an NBA game against Dallas, (an Eagle team member had left Philly for the Cowboys) and the entire city was pumped for this game- there were even signs in the subway that supported the Eagles. And the excitement/pride after they won, it was infectious and united the city.
You must not forget the Ivy League college and America's first university, the University of Pennsylvania founded by Ben Franklin in 1740, and its world renown Wharton School of Business. I walked around Franklin Field, the original college football stadium, and smiled when I thought of my dad rooting for the Penn Quakers when he attended Penn.
G Washington crossed the Delaware River on a freezing December night, in 1776, and outside the city is Valley Forge where the Continental Army camped during the winter.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware.png/350px-Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware.png
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MJWING%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg (broken link)file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MJWING%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg (broken link)
It was once the capital city of our fledgling nation, the place where the Founding Fathers started our country. The 1st and 2nd Continental Continental Congresses were held there, the Declaration of Independence was written and signed there, and the Constitution was composed and signed there!!!!! Imagine all those brilliant minds assembled at Independence Hall.
It is old, to be sure, and old things lose their sheen. A large part of the city is rusted factories and abandoned warehouses but the future will bring redevelopment and revitalization.
While it isn't NYC, it is a great and historic city. Every city can't be #1 in people's minds, but I'm sure Philadelphia will always #1 in many people's hearts. It is America.
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MJWING%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 38,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcLyon View Post
There is no inferiority complex, only to those who are unfamiliar with Philadelphia's richness.
I visited Philadelphia in 2006. There was an NBA game against Dallas, (an Eagle team member had left Philly for the Cowboys) and the entire city was pumped for this game- there were even signs in the subway that supported the Eagles. And the excitement/pride after they won, it was infectious and united the city.
You must not forget the Ivy League college and America's first university, the University of Pennsylvania founded by Ben Franklin in 1740, and its world renown Wharton School of Business. I walked around Franklin Field, the original college football stadium, and smiled when I thought of my dad rooting for the Penn Quakers when he attended Penn.
G Washington crossed the Delaware River on a freezing December night, in 1776, and outside the city is Valley Forge where the Continental Army camped during the winter.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware.png/350px-Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware.png

It was once the capital city of our fledgling nation, the place where the Founding Fathers started our country. The 1st and 2nd Continental Continental Congresses were held there, the Declaration of Independence was written and signed there, and the Constitution was composed and signed there!!!!! Imagine all those brilliant minds assembled at Independence Hall.
It is old, to be sure, and old things lose their sheen. A large part of the city is rusted factories and abandoned warehouses but the future will bring redevelopment and revitalization.
While it isn't NYC, it is a great and historic city. Every city can't be #1 in people's minds, but I'm sure Philadelphia will always #1 in many people's hearts. It is America.
Then how come the media all go " This storm, HUGE for areas like DC, New York, Boston." Philadelphia?

Could be Hartford, CT 2.0 soon.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8mylife View Post
Then how come the media all go " This storm, HUGE for areas like DC, New York, Boston." Philadelphia?
The Weather Channel frequently mentions Philadelphia in its discussion about the day's weather.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8mylife View Post
Whenever the I-95 cooridor comes to mind, it's always DC New York Boston...and Philadelphia is always left out.......it's like the forgotten city.....it was the most important city in the 1700s and 6th largest in the us now........not to mention is home to comcast...one of the most successful cable companies in the us.....a major city like Philadelphia is always left out for specific reasons????????

It's always DC New York Boston and a major city like Philadelphia is left out. Philadelphia is NOT like Baltimore
Philadelphia probably does not get the attention a city its size and attributes deserves. Alot of that has to do with its neighbors, New York to the northeast, Washington DC and Baltimore to the southwest. Btw there was no reason to mock Baltimore.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The Weather Channel frequently mentions Philadelphia in its discussion about the day's weather.
NYC will get frequent mention in the media because of being the country's largest city, as will Washington due to being the nation's capital. As for weather reports, even when they do fail to mention Philly, it's probably because they're just giving an overview. They'll divide the Northeast Corridor into northern, middle, and southern sections, and use the biggest city in each of those sections as an example of the weather in each section: New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and the north-south border region. So, you get frequent mention of Boston, NYC, and D.C. as the representative cities in the three parts of the Corridor. If Philly were bigger than NYC, then Philly would be the example used for the middle of the Corridor. Simple as that. No knock on Philly intended, I'm sure.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Dude, you from feakin Texas..............
Not from Feakin. I'm from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.