Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8mylife View Post
Then that hits the nail right on the head. That totally means Philadelphia is like Baltimore, Hartford or Providence instead of DC, New York, Boston or Atlanta. Philadelphia went from a major city to a big town.
It means that everything is relative, especially if you're talking about the cities that are mentioned frequently on The Weather Channel. Philadelphia is a major city, not a large town, but it does not happen to be the largest city in the middle section of the Northeast Corridor. They could give an accurate picture of the weather in the northern, central, and southern sections of the Northeast Corridor if they used Hartford or Providence as examples for southern New England, Baltimore as the example for the southern end of the Corridor, and Philly as representative of the Corridor's midsection. For that matter, they could use Glassboro, NJ, as the example for the middle of the Corridor. There just seems to be a natural tendency to use the biggest city to represent a region, which is why Boston, NYC, and Washington are used often as examples of the weather in various sections of the Northeast. Philadelphia just does not happen to be the largest city in the middle section of BosWash. NYC is, so that's the city they naturally tend to use as the example for that section of the Northeast. If Philly were bigger than NYC, it would be the city they would use as the example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,700,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The last time I was in Philadelphia, I got the impression that Philadelphia barely cares about itself. That is one seriously grimey town.
Let's not forget that Chicago hasn't always had the reputation it has now and it certainly doesnt have the reputation for being pristine even today.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Let's not forget that Chicago hasn't always had the reputation it has now and it certainly doesnt have the reputation for being pristine even today.
It certainly has that reputation among those who actually come visit the place. Ask any tourist who comes to Chicago what their impressions are, and almost to a man, the first thing nearly of them will tell you is they're surprised at how clean it is. No major city is going to be completely free of grime and litter and all that. But compared to Philadelphia, you could practically eat off the sidewalks around here.

But let's suppose I'm wrong. Let's assume that Chicago is a festering pit. What does that have to do with my observation that Philadelphia appears to have practically given up on itself? Philadelphia's aesthetic state is completely independent of Chicago's.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,502,207 times
Quote:
No major city is going to be completely free of grime and litter and all that. But compared to Philadelphia, you could practically eat off the sidewalks around here.
I have been to Chicago and you are exagerating greatly.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I have been to Chicago and you are exagerating greatly.
Gee So-crates, there's no putting anything past you, is there? It was obviously an exaggeration for comparative purposes. I didn't expect anyone to take what I said literally.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Your OP implies people cared about Philadelphia to begin with
Get a grip chief, you are from Indianapolis of all places, know your derisive boundaries.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
It certainly has that reputation among those who actually come visit the place. Ask any tourist who comes to Chicago what their impressions are, and almost to a man, the first thing nearly of them will tell you is they're surprised at how clean it is. No major city is going to be completely free of grime and litter and all that. But compared to Philadelphia, you could practically eat off the sidewalks around here.

But let's suppose I'm wrong. Let's assume that Chicago is a festering pit. What does that have to do with my observation that Philadelphia appears to have practically given up on itself? Philadelphia's aesthetic state is completely independent of Chicago's.
Exactly. They're surprised at how clean it is. Which means what? They were expecting a grimy city. Chicago (although more influential and much more powerful economically) is more similar to Philadelphia than you give it credit for. Both have great downtowns surrounded by a ring of decay. I haven't been to Chicago since I was 18 and that was 4 years ago, but when I was there, there were still quite a few neighborhoods that were in a similar condition to those around Philadelphias Center city.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Exactly. They're surprised at how clean it is. Which means what? They were expecting a grimy city. Chicago (although more influential and much more powerful economically) is more similar to Philadelphia than you give it credit for. Both have great downtowns surrounded by a ring of decay. I haven't been to Chicago since I was 18 and that was 4 years ago, but when I was there, there were still quite a few neighborhoods that were in a similar condition to those around Philadelphias Center city.
I ask again -- what does Chicago's condition have to do with Philadelphia's condition?

And downtown Chicago surrounded by a ring of decay? South Loop decayed? West Loop decayed? River North decayed? These are some of the most vital and expensive neighborhoods in the city.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
It certainly has that reputation among those who actually come visit the place. Ask any tourist who comes to Chicago what their impressions are, and almost to a man, the first thing nearly of them will tell you is they're surprised at how clean it is.No major city is going to be completely free of grime and litter and all that. But compared to Philadelphia, you could practically eat off the sidewalks around here.
So every tourist(according to you) that comes to Chicago raves about its cleanliness but you come to Philadlephia and disparagingly speak for every Philadlephia tourist. Is that how it works?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I ask again -- what does Chicago's condition have to do with Philadelphia's condition?
To answer your question, all inner cities have faced the same challenges. That is loss of business, large masses moving to suburbs, etc. I just thought that someone from Chicago would understand that being as though it, along with Philly, Detroit, bmore,etc all were in the same situation. You were speaking about Philadelphia as though it being grimy,dirty is unique. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.