Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
What exactly are you trying to "convince" all of us of? That there is no culture outside of the Northeast? If so, most people will remain unconvinced. The world does not revolve around the Northeast like you think

...except of course the weather channel dealing with the blizzard there today

I don't mind it--I got yet another paid day off today-- the 6th day in 2 weeks AND I don't have to drive it which makes it better. The subways don't really get delayed with the snow

Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
What exactly are you trying to "convince" all of us of? That there is no culture outside of the Northeast? If so, most people will remain unconvinced. The world does not revolve around the Northeast like you think

...except of course the weather channel dealing with the blizzard there today
Hey, the South got a blizzard too.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,463 times
It isn't that anyplace is the worst place. I'm sure everyone has their stories on why they absolutely hate a place and can't wait to get out, but that is the beauty of living in the good ole USA. We are not 'stuck' anyplace. we are free to pick and choose and if we dont like it, we can move. Now it may be financially difficult to just pick up and leave but if I was miserable, and have been, I've made a move not just possible but mandatory. But you can't really just say someplace is horrible. One person's nightmare is another person's wildest dream.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Hey, the South got a blizzard too.
Not Texas, although we got down into the low 40's overnight a few nights ago

Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,430 times
I will give the OP a break on GA because I HAD to leave my hometown of Atlanta and move to a small town of Johnson City, TN and I hated it. I unfairly judged the people and just flat out looked down on them and I didn't care at the time. My only friends were other transplants (they saw what I saw in the people). I lived in TN for six long years but I think it made me a better person because the natives didn't care about any type of status, the people were nice and forced me to speak to them (I finally warmed up to them in year four 2006). Looking back, I can't really knock the people for being how they were whenever they became "defensive" towards me because I said some foolish things to a lot of them (it also didn't help comparing their town to ATL all the time). To the OP, I really get what you're saying, when it's all over I think you'll look at things from a better perspective. What I mean by perspective is that you'll know that people are different and instead of them adapting to you, you have to adapt. I sort of knew this already but there's nothing like having 2,190 days to analyze yourself and situation. I think I'm a better person today and so will you. People in the Appalachias talk funny but they don't care, they're still people (that's what you have to realize).

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,612 times
I always felt that Atlantans are like New Yorkers, only they dont have accents.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:40 PM

69 posts, read 241,246 times
ATLiens are nothing like New Yorkers

Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The weather IS the culture in Florida because everything revolves around the weather.
Rightly or wrongly, people move to FL because of the weather. After 6 years there, I moved out at age 18 *because of the weather*. For me it was the worst state I've lived in.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM

880 posts, read 2,860,842 times
Actually Gaflsc, even though I still feel kind of out of place in Augusta, I felt most out of place in the Atlanta suburbs (Fayette County particularly). It was just too conservative and upper income for my personality.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,956,846 times
Just because we in the south can recognize that Jackson Pollack is full of crap and menstrual art is disgusting doesn't mean we have no culture. As the only NW Georgia Native so far to post on this thread, I feel inclined to chuckle about it. I have travelled all over the U.S.(48 out of 50, sorry Cali and Hawaii, not yet, I'm coming), and can honestly say I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Perhaps the demand of the 20 million people in NYC call for more diversity and amenities. Downtown NYC is imposing(Pales in comparison with Boston, I might add)But I am sick and tired of people who do not understand other people's cultures and ideals, who claim to be worldly, cultured and liberal, bashing parts of the world that they don't understand. I have learned something from every place that I've been. And to the OP, the people who you encountered? They were what is called "nice". You, on the other hand, seem to be an A-hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.