Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 AM

102 posts, read 253,634 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

As you may (or may not) be aware our prime minister is on a visit to the States at the moment. There is often talk over here of the 'special relationship' we have with America and since yesterday the news has been reporting that our prime minister hasn't had the same woolly welcome that Tony Blair may have had from George Bush and that the days of the special relationship may be over now Obama is president.

I was just wondering what the feeling is over there towards Britain and whether you feel these news reports are true or indeed if you were ever aware of a special relationship in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit2009 View Post
Hi Everyone,

As you may (or may not) be aware our prime minister is on a visit to the States at the moment. There is often talk over here of the 'special relationship' we have with America and since yesterday the news has been reporting that our prime minister hasn't had the same woolly welcome that Tony Blair may have had from George Bush and that the days of the special relationship may be over now Obama is president.

I was just wondering what the feeling is over there towards Britain and whether you feel these news reports are true or indeed if you were ever aware of a special relationship in the first place?
Well I have been humming "Rule, Britannia. Britannia rules the waves" alot lately, probably because I saw a recent movie. Anyway it gives you an idea about how I feel about Great Britain and the relationship.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:45 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
I think most Americans when they do think of Britain (and to be honest the average American doesn't think about it alot) think of it kindly and as a friend. As far as the "special relationship" I've heard of it before and I'm sure Britain does in some ways enjoy preferential treatment and I doubt this will change an extreme amount under Obamas administration.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit2009 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'd be willing to bet most people in this country aren't even aware Tony Blair isn't the Prime Minister anymore. Or, that Tony Blair was ever even the Prime Minister in the first place. Or, what a Prime Minister even is.

Most of my fellow countrymen and women probably think Gordon Brown is a color variation.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 AM

lol TexasTheKid, I could probably find some British kids that don't know what a prime minister is - now that's scary! Thanks all for the replies - obviously nothing better to report on our news today!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I'd be willing to bet most people in this country aren't even aware Tony Blair isn't the Prime Minister anymore. Or, that Tony Blair was ever even the Prime Minister in the first place. Or, what a Prime Minister even is.

Most of my fellow countrymen and women probably think Gordon Brown is a color variation.
You mean King Henry VIII was voted out?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You mean King Henry VIII was voted out?
On the flipside, the average American probably knows more about British politics than they do about the politics anywhere else in the world.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
i never really got what british means anyways? and they can keep their priests regardless of how many numbers they are or are not divisible by!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
i never really got what british means anyways?
Britain is a State composed of four countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. To say something is Bristish is to refer to all four countries. On the other hand, to say something is English is to refer specifically to England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
and they can keep their priests regardless of how many numbers they are or are not divisible by!
I honestly have no idea what you mean by this.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM

To say I'm British is alot quicker than saying I'm from the United Kingdom but it means the same - I could be referring to either of the 4 countries. If you don't know what something as simple as that means - google it! The internet is your friend!

No idea what you mean about the priests!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.