U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 28,791 times

Advertisements

Winter really is not that much better in Madison than Minneapolis. The Twin Cities have tons of restaurants, theatres, great schools, lakes, and nice people. And, I think you would appreciate the work ethic of the upper midwest. Of course winter is a *****, it is nice to have a white xmas, but a white Easter is too much. Overall, I think this area of the country is going in a good direction, and the economy is doing quite well. You could get a nice place with 400K. I have visited Madison often, and DC twice and would like living in both, but I prefer Minneapolis over those two. And crime really is not a problem compared to most large cities, just avoid North Minneapolis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM

37 posts, read 377,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa
I plan to leave Tennessee sometime within the next few months due to cultural inactivity, a virtually nonexistent liberal population, and lack of any progressive future.

I have narrowed my search down to five cities/towns in the United States. My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.

I have selected five cities that I am strongly considering, but I need some more insight before I just leap into a new city perhaps thousands of miles away from where I am currently located. My decision will be made from any of these following five cities:

Cary, North Carolina
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Greater DC Area, Virginia
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated as I hope to move very soon.
Your prioirities seem to describe most of the west coast. Mid to North California and Portland, OR really come to mind. I cannot imagine how DC could be on a list of positives for anyone, but to each his own. Madison is very nice, so is Carey. I am considering relocating to TN. My list of "wants" is pretty much the reverse of yours. Isn't this a great country?

Old 08-11-2006, 11:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,665,476 times
Default Sperlings test

On the Sperlings Best Places site there's a quiz to take. It's called MySpot. It's a questionaire on your preferences. It gives you a variety of places and some info on each one. If you take the test and one of the areas you're looking at comes up on your list, you'll know you found the right place.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,500,195 times
Default Tokyopapa, you just described Seattle.

Quote:
I plan to leave Tennessee sometime within the next few months due to cultural inactivity, a virtually nonexistent liberal population, and lack of any progressive future.

I have narrowed my search down to five cities/towns in the United States. My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.

I have selected five cities that I am strongly considering, but I need some more insight before I just leap into a new city perhaps thousands of miles away from where I am currently located. My decision will be made from any of these following five cities:

Cary, North Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin

Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated as I hope to move very soon.
Of the cities you mention, only Minneapolis and Madison ring somewhat close to your stated wants. But they aren't particularly rainy cities. The cities that have the atmosphere and climate you describe are first and foremost; Seattle, Washington, then Portland, Oregon. They're both very liberal, highly educated large populations, great shopping and access to cultural events, progressive, and you'll need an umbrella much of the year.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 AM

954 posts, read 4,218,126 times
Quote:

Cary, North Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin

I understand why you are leaving TN (i lived there 5 years myself and couldn't wait to get out), however your list somewhat mystifies me.

You have missed three obvious choices.
Seattle WA
Portland OR
and my choice for you would be
Ann Arbor Mi.
My Dad had a business there for 43 years. Given your criteria, I think you would love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.