U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 AM

51 posts, read 308,939 times

Advertisements

I plan to leave Tennessee sometime within the next few months due to cultural inactivity, a virtually nonexistent liberal population, and lack of any progressive future.

I have narrowed my search down to five cities/towns in the United States. My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.

I have selected five cities that I am strongly considering, but I need some more insight before I just leap into a new city perhaps thousands of miles away from where I am currently located. My decision will be made from any of these following five cities:

Cary, North Carolina
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Greater DC Area, Virginia
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated as I hope to move very soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 04:06 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,829,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa

I have narrowed my search down to five cities/towns in the United States. My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.
My husband lived in minneapolis for 30 years and says minneapolis seems to fill all your criteria,but the winters are very cold and alot of snow.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:56 PM

56 posts, read 301,581 times
Arrow Places to go.

Hi,
Go with VA-DC. I've lived in NY, NJ, NC, SC, VA and FL. Both, North and South Carolina are kind of back woods, unless you are close to the ocean. Not much to do (if anything at all) and little to no acceptance towards others! I could list many reasons...but I'm not posting to offend anyone.
Just thinking of your post and responding based on what you were looking for.
Best of Luck!
Laura

Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,431,988 times
I agree with Mystree. If you don't mind the cold and snow, Minneapolis/St. Paul has a lot to offer. They also have the hospitality and friendliness you're looking for. It sounds like you've already picked out your cities, but may I suggest that you also check out Sioux Falls, SD? We live near there and it's becoming quite an impressive city.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:44 AM

693 posts, read 2,571,836 times
Quote:
My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.
To me this sound like Seattle, Portland, or another smaller and more affordable city in the Northwest.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:54 AM

34 posts, read 211,809 times
I currently live in the MSP area...

Progressive Outlook -- definitely...

Education -- good

Medium-to-High Liberal Population -- as long as you are in/near the city. Rural areas tend to be more conservative. remember, you are in Lutheran territory.

Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days -- long, brutally cold, winters but still pretty blue skies with the exception of maybe Jan/Feb.

Somewhat Populous -- I guess that depends on what you are used to.

Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options -- absolutely.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,686,445 times
If you can handle a little higher cost of living, give southern NY a try.

Lots of liberals/Dems in southern NY

Progressive - most certainly

Easy access to NYC, theaters, zoos, cultural sites

Awesome resturants. Both in the city and up here. Youngest Brothers (Newburgh), Gasho's of Japan (Monroe), Laghran's (salisbury mills), Yobo's (Newburgh) There are far too many to list. Shopping at Woodbury Commons in Monroe, or at the numerous gallerias here, or in NYC, northern NJ if you are looking for something hard to get.

People are semi-friendly here..kind of hit or miss. But if you live a bit further up like near New Paltz/Kingston it gets a little bit more friendly.

You like rain? You will love it here. Clouds? You will be in heaven.
We have Bear mountain state park, the Catskill game farm, Washington's house, the Vanderbilt and roosevelt mansions, West Point, wineries, stables, horse racing, Goshen - the birthplace of the trotter. We have northern NY in all its glory, with countless historical sites, eateries and friendly folk, we have rivers, lakes, the ocean down on Long Island when you want to get away you can hop on a plane out of Stewart and get out of here.

In a flash you can be down in Shea Stadium, or at an opera house on 42nd st. You can get to ALL NYC has to offer, then retreat to your home up here in the town, or hide away in the country.

Figure 300K minimum for a home, 400+ if you want a lot of house or a lot of property. Houses here are BEAUTIFUL! Lots of great, big houses being put up and you will have a yard that will take your breath away! Rentals across the river can run 1500-2000K/mo for a very nice 3 bedroom unit. If you have the $$ you will have a lot of fun here.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:38 PM

51 posts, read 308,939 times
Thnaks for your post, Winnie. I actually wasn't considering NY, but it sounds like it has a lot to offer. I'll have to look into it now!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,686,445 times
Be sure to buy a handy dandy travel guide and map of the Hudson Valley area if you come out for a visit! There is so much to do here and so much within a day or weekend trip of here as well. If you get more interested in this area let me know I can tell you towns to steer clear of as far as looking at homes.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:43 PM

165 posts, read 860,851 times
Default Relocating Advise

Quote:
I plan to leave Tennessee sometime within the next few months due to cultural inactivity, a virtually nonexistent liberal population, and lack of any progressive future.

I have selected five cities that I am strongly considering, but I need some more insight before I just leap into a new city perhaps thousands of miles away from where I am currently located. My decision will be made from any of these following five cities:

Cary, North Carolina
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Greater DC Area, Virginia
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated as I hope to move very soon.
If you consider the Greater DC area you will find diversity and all four seasons of weather (sometimes intermingled in each season with the freaky weather) but a TON of sticker shock on the house prices especially in NOVA (Northern Virginia).

My suggestion is if you wish to be near DC and actually afford a home think 1) renting is probably best if you don't have a large downpayment, 2) think townhouse if you want to consider buying but don't have a good downpayment [best option would be to try and find a rent with option to buy clause] 3) if you do have a large downpayment you might consider buying a home in Southern MD as an investment since it's not that far from rent in some areas of VA

The last person I talked to from TN said the houses out this way were approximately double that of the usual market out there where he was living near Knoxville.

Hope it helps... good luck in your move!

John
links removed

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2006 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or