Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:42 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've been asked here in CO, but only if I say "my church" or something like that.
yeah, thats basically the way it is here. If I say "my church" in a conversation, more often than not, someone will ask "Oh, what church do you go to?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
No it is not offensive and I have also been known to ask.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have been asked that question by coworkers, but it has been after I have made some reference to church or my pastor or having to get to music practice or something else that opened the door to that line of conversation. I don't find, even here in Texas or my home state of Georgia, southern and firmly bible belt as they both are, that people will just ask that question out of the blue. There is usually some context of faith/religion/chuch attendance that has been brought up previously.

I see this question brought up in various forms all over this site, usually by someone non religious, usually a slam at southerners and usually a mention of finding it offensive for someone who has a life of faith having any sort of discourse about anything religious. Why is it that I do not see threads about non religious people making snide comments about religions in work or social settings without taking into account that there are people around that are of that particular religious persuasion? I have had more of this type of experience at work and other situations where people of various backgrounds are gathered. Is this not more offensive, to diss religious beliefs/practices/personalities in such a setting where there could be people who are aligned with said faith?

As has been mentioned before, this is rarely if ever asked in a non condemning way. Most of the time it is to see if there is either a common interest or a networking type of question. I have enough connections in both Georgia and here in Texas, that if you were involved in any number of churches, I probably know someone that goes there. The person that feels condemned by this type of question probably needs to look inward and ask why they feel condemned by being asked such an innocent question.

Food for thought.....
Very well said and an insightful post.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:49 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
I have been asked that question by coworkers, but it has been after I have made some reference to church or my pastor or having to get to music practice or something else that opened the door to that line of conversation. I don't find, even here in Texas or my home state of Georgia, southern and firmly bible belt as they both are, that people will just ask that question out of the blue. There is usually some context of faith/religion/chuch attendance that has been brought up previously.

I see this question brought up in various forms all over this site, usually by someone non religious, usually a slam at southerners and usually a mention of finding it offensive for someone who has a life of faith having any sort of discourse about anything religious. Why is it that I do not see threads about non religious people making snide comments about religions in work or social settings without taking into account that there are people around that are of that particular religious persuasion? I have had more of this type of experience at work and other situations where people of various backgrounds are gathered. Is this not more offensive, to diss religious beliefs/practices/personalities in such a setting where there could be people who are aligned with said faith?

As has been mentioned before, this is rarely if ever asked in a non condemning way. Most of the time it is to see if there is either a common interest or a networking type of question. I have enough connections in both Georgia and here in Texas, that if you were involved in any number of churches, I probably know someone that goes there. The person that feels condemned by this type of question probably needs to look inward and ask why they feel condemned by being asked such an innocent question.

Food for thought.....
Beautifully put.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:

Food for thought.....
As a non-religious person, I have to say this is a great post!

It's not offensive to be asked where you go to church because usually the question is JUST that: "Where do you go to church?" To which a non-religious person such as myself can simply reply, "I'm not religious" or "I'm agnostic" or "I don't go" or something and both parties can leave it at that.

It's all about being respectful, tolerant, and open-minded, no matter what your beliefs are, and accepting people for who they are and what they believe. It's not a crime to want to surround yourself with like-minded people, but those who are different should not be singled out, criticized, and ostracized as if they were inherently less of a person because of their differing beliefs.

And to reply to the OP, yes, even here in godless, secular Oregon I've been asked where I go to church, but never just out of nowhere or by someone I've just met. The conversation has always directly led there first.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I dont think Ive ever been asked outright where I go to church in my entire life in the Bay Area.

On very rare occasions, people have asked if im religious-and then what church I attend-but no one has assumed that I go to church.

It doesnt offend me though.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I think it's ok if someone starts out by asking "are you religious?" but not "what church do you go to?" because that's just assuming someone goes. What if they're jewish and go to a temple, or muslim and go to a mosque?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:48 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think it's ok if someone starts out by asking "are you religious?" but not "what church do you go to?" because that's just assuming someone goes. What if they're jewish and go to a temple, or muslim and go to a mosque?
Then state that you're Jewish, Muslim, Agnostic, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. Why get upset about it? It's not like you're giving them your bank account number and ATM pin, they will really not know you, at all. It's just like someone asking you what grocery store you go to or what pizzeria (NYers love pizza) you go to, it's not really a big deal to them if you're this or that (when you think about it).

Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Okay...I live in the south, and I don't really hear this question unless we are already on a related topic, but for whoever wants to know, I attend Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Baton Rouge.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,725 times
Quote:

Food for thought.....
Because non religious people dont walk up to others to ask you if you have been "saved"

How about when someone knocks on your door and says "you need to donate money or you might not go to heaven". I just slam the door in their face!

It is not an innocent question. Its an ANNOYING and RUDE question. I dont go to church and dont want to go. If people are religious then they are religious... they dont need to cram it into others face

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 03-07-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.