Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Why do peole think LA will be gone when oceans rise? Have you been here before. The Inland Empire, High Desert, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Santa Monica, South Bay, and pretty much everything west if the 405 would be okay. Long Beach, Seal Beach, Venice, Marina del Rey, downtown Playa del Rey, and coastal Ventura County is all that would be gone.

Is Marina del Rey still around? I thought she retired years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Is Marina del Rey still around? I thought she retired years ago...

Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Why do peole think LA will be gone when oceans rise? Have you been here before. The Inland Empire, High Desert, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Santa Monica, South Bay, and pretty much everything west if the 405 would be okay. Long Beach, Seal Beach, Venice, Marina del Rey, downtown Playa del Rey, and coastal Ventura County is all that would be gone.

To the OP, it's definitely possible and I believe with this economic depression, we are getting closer to that happening.
  1. Hawaii (Honolulu)
  2. California:CA from Marin south and the Central Valley, NV, AZ (Sacramento because the other cities already have their own style without government)
  3. Cascadia: WA, OR, north of Marin and around the CV in CA (Olympia, Eugene, or Salem)
  4. North Rockies: ID, MT, WY (Boise because it is the most important city of those three states)
  5. South Rockies: UT, CO, NM (Denver...obvious)
  6. Texarkanahoma: TX, LA, AR, OK (Austin or Dallas due to its central location)
  7. Great Plains: NE, KS, western MO, SD, ND (Kansas City)
  8. Great Lakes and neighbors: MN, WI, IA, IL, MI, IN, OH, eastern MO, western PA, western NY (Minneapolis, Milwakee, STL, Cleveland, Buffalo, or maybe Chicago)
  9. Mid South: KY, TN, southern WV, western VA, western SC, western NC (Nashville)
  10. South: AL, MS, south and western GA, northwestern FL (Huntsville)
  11. Southeast: southern and northeastern FL, eastern and northern GA, eastern SC, eastern NC (MIA or ATL)
  12. Mid Atlantic: eastern VA, MD, DC, eastern PA, DE (DC or Philly)
  13. New York: NYC, NJ, CT (somewhere in NJ)
  14. North New England: Upstate NY, VT (Albany)
  15. New England: RI, MA, ME, NH (Providence)
  16. AK goes to Canada or stays the same
I know it's split up a lot, but notice how wealthy most of Europe is and their nations are small. We could have a universal currency for all, but Spanish and English would have to be the official languages of California.
Why only Eastern MO? Why include all of MN, IA, but not all of MO? All of MO belongs in that statement. And Vermont belongs in New England. I also think only Northern VA belongs in the Atlantic. All of PA, Delaware, New York, and New Jersey belong in the Mid-Atlantic. Connecticut and Rhode Island belong in New England.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
The USA will not go away any time soon. The laws of averages shows that eventually it will be surpassed by another government--but as to disappearing? Thinking of really old countries: France, Germany, Italy Spain, England, Portugal, India, China, .... none of them have disappeared..but their method of government has changed.

Interstingly the USA does not have the same laws and customs we had in 1800. In 1800 women couldn't vote...and there were no speed limits on roads...So we've changed too. But disappear? Not likely.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
The USA will not go away any time soon. The laws of averages shows that eventually it will be surpassed by another government--but as to disappearing? Thinking of really old countries: France, Germany, Italy Spain, England, Portugal, India, China, .... none of them have disappeared..but their method of government has changed.

Interstingly the USA does not have the same laws and customs we had in 1800. In 1800 women couldn't vote...and there were no speed limits on roads...So we've changed too. But disappear? Not likely.
There HAS been a lot of change in laws and customs over the years, and without overthrowing the government...because the U.S. is a democracy; and, while not a perfect form of government, it gives a voice to the people on such issues as women's rights. To make such a change in many other countries there would have to be a revolution. This is a big reason that the U.S. has been and will be around for a long time.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There HAS been a lot of change in laws and customs over the years, and without overthrowing the government...because the U.S. is a democracy; and, while not a perfect form of government, it gives a voice to the people on such issues as women's rights. To make such a change in many other countries there would have to be a revolution. This is a big reason that the U.S. has been and will be around for a long time.
You got that right....but to say, "forever." To quote Cheech and Chong "Forever is like, a long time, man."

Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
You got that right....but to say, "forever." To quote Cheech and Chong "Forever is like, a long time, man."

I agree...I never say forever about anything.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
The USA that I was born and raised in is already no more.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Thank heavens for improvements, right?

Of course it isn't...assuming you're at least around 20 years old, I would hate to think that the world/the country/the times hadn't changed tremendously in that amount of time.

The U.S.A. that Eleanor Roosevelt was born and raised in is no more, either. The U.S.A. that Elvis Presley was born and raised in is no more, either. Nothing stays the same, nor should it.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No:
1. civil rights
2. standard of living
3. life expectancy
4. poverty
6. crime
7. patents
All these are better now. At no time since I've been alive (60 yrs) have these things been as good. Right now we have a temporary economic problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.