U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 23,226 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Our family might be moving to the USA from Singapore and the company has two locations - Manhattan and Washington DC. We have two kids, 5 and 7. If it is Manhattan, we are prepared to live in CT, NJ or NY itself.

If the location is to be in DC, we are looking at either VA or MD.

I can't drive, public transport is important. Schools are important too. Housing is not an issue, although the kids would like to have a back yard so they can have their pets!

If you had a choice between these areas, which would you choose over the others? We have only been to NY as tourists and that was pre 9/11 so it is difficult for us to know what to look out for. At present, we are basing most of our search on schools that we like.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your points of view.

Gmsale
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM

484 posts, read 1,516,494 times
Each of the cities are best for a different reason.

Manhattan (or New York City in general, as well as the surrounding areas you listed) is going to be better for transportation since you can't drive. New York City has subways, taxi's, etc. and driving there is something that most residents don't do (most don't even own cars) where as in Maryland and Virginia, driving is a lot more common and the public transportation systems that they do have are more crowded. So, for the transportation factor, I'd choose Manhattan (or a surrounding area).

As far as schools, McLean Virginia (outside of Washington D.C.) has great schools, and the same with Rock Hill Maryland. In New York City and New Jersey, I've heard terrible things about the schools. We lived in McLean for a short time before my husband was transfered and our kids (who are young, like yours) loved the schools in McLean. I was very impressed. So, for the schools, I'd definitely go with one of those cities I mentioned. I don't know much about Washington D.C. schools,but I know the surrounding areas (McLean, Alexandria, Rock Hill, etc) all have great schools.

So, it just depends what you're looking for. Each of those cities are best for a different reason. Also, the cost of living in the suburbs of D.C. will be significantly cheaper than in NYC and it's surrounding areas. I'd personally probably choose D.C., but it just depends what's important to you. I'd also recommend, if you can, making a trip out to both cities and seeing for yourself what they're like.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,941,016 times
Choose one of the outerboroughs of NYC. You don't need a car, it's cheaper than Manhattan, you can have a backyard (though not as big as the suburbs), but just a few minutes from Manhattan and awesome mass transit all over. If you have any questions, you can pm me or post this on the NYC forum.

NY is amazing, I recommend it.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM

3,346 posts, read 6,102,228 times
MD, VA, and D.C. all have some sort of transit, and great schools!!!! (exempt D.C. from that lol just playing they have "some" good schools too!!!)

Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,579,853 times
Actually, many Manhattanites own cars. We do, and we know lots of others. I find driving in the city relatively easy. Parking is another story. As for a good place for kids, Manhattan is wonderful as long as you are zoned for a great public school or want to pay for private school. Manhattan is very expensive for newcomers now. If you can afford it, you will have a nice life. If you want a yard, I would consider looking into Park Slope in Brooklyn or someplace in NJ. Some Manhattan apts offer outdoor space including terraces, but a real yard is hard to come by.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM

668 posts, read 2,098,795 times
I choose to live in Ohio. You have all Seasons to experience. You have hills and trees and animals running all over the place. I live two stone throws from the Ohio River, and enjoy looking at it. Since I am retired, I get to go out in my yard, sit on the swing and watch the birds that fly into my bird feeder and into the cherry tree that I sit under. Its a wonderful life, being retired in Ohio, and the Winter? I just try to hibernate and come out only on the nice warm days LOL!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.