Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: as americans do you think you are superior than people from europe/UK?
Yes 14 17.95%
No 64 82.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times

Advertisements

I totally feel that if I traveled to much of Europe, I'd have much greater likelihood of encountering individuals who pay me visible contempt than a European who traveled to equal amounts of the US. I personally feel we are more welcoming of our European cousins than they are of us. But again...that has very little to do with superiority in any manner.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
I could do that, and point out the capital city of Warsaw...but most probably couldn't.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 57,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
These are all true Heskey but were you aware that the US supplied Russia with vehicles and weapons?
The Russians rode into Berlin in Jeeps!
Yes while it was good for the russians to get you help in material. You still werent the ones actually fighting. You can't honestly say that the US defeated the germans in the eastern front now can you?

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Well, we have been giving the world a lot to anti against in the last decade or so, yea? Besides, depending on how broadly you define Anti-Americanism, an even larger chunk of that sentiment is coming out of the states itself.

As for the Europeans playing the language card on us poor Americans who sadly only have one massive neighbor to the south giving us incentives to learn a second language (of course, all of us speak the language elective we learned in high school pretty well, right?), I agree it's a bit of a low blow. Europeans, especially non English speaking Europeans, have a lot of incentive to learn second, third or even fourth languages, so it's a bit tricky to use that as a point of comparison. The same goes somewhat with geography and modern history--the U.S. is massive and influential. The question then leads to this: if all that time and massive brain power doesn't have to be spent on such things as the history and geography of another country or to learn foreign languages fluently, then what exactly are we spending them on?

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
Who did the most work in defeating the germans in the eastern front Russia or the US? I'll ****in laugh if you say the US because I didn't know you sacrificed millions of troops to do so as Russia did or even had troops at all there at that time.

And it was the RAF(english) who forced out the germans from the brittish skys not the US airforce.

while I recognize that you helped alot before D-day, It wasn't you that was doing the greater part of the fighting at that time.
I never said that it was.

You've created this entire thread to bait Americans into saying "The USA is WAY better than Europe!" just so you could say "NO! EUROPE IS WAY BETTER THAN THE US!", didn't you?

Because you're saying things that are vast oversimplifications, being corrected, and then changing the context of the discussion altogether.

For example, you say "The Russians had the Nazis STOPPED and OWNED years before America entered the war!" I point out that that is false. You say "Well, before America was doing anything in Europe!" I point out that THAT is false. You say "Yeah, well they weren't doing that MUCH in Europe then!", which is still kinda false, but MILES from where we started.

Who are you trying to convince? I'll say again: Europe does a lot of things right that the US does wrong. The US does a lot of things right that Europe does wrong. We should try to learn from each other rather than getting into oversimplified pissing contests, should we not?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
1st think to know about a troll:

The more you feed it, the more momentum it gains

Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I never said that it was.

You've created this entire thread to bait Americans into saying "The USA is WAY better than Europe!" just so you could say "NO! EUROPE IS WAY BETTER THAN THE US!", didn't you?

Because you're saying things that are vast oversimplifications, being corrected, and then changing the context of the discussion altogether.

For example, you say "The Russians had the Nazis STOPPED and OWNED years before America entered the war!" I point out that that is false. You say "Well, before America was doing anything in Europe!" I point out that THAT is false. You say "Yeah, well they weren't doing that MUCH in Europe then!", which is still kinda false, but MILES from where we started.

Who are you trying to convince? I'll say again: Europe does a lot of things right that the US does wrong. The US does a lot of things right that Europe does wrong. We should try to learn from each other rather than getting into oversimplified pissing contests, should we not?
I made this thread because I beleived that the majority of americans felt they where superior than us europeans and I wanted to know why.

a question who did the greater part of the fighting before 1944 in europe and specificly the easter front? who sacrificed more? who had the greater part in defeating the germans at that front?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Yes we do but you cant honestly expect me to know english aswell as Swedish.

How would I else "belittle" you if I shouldnt speak english. and I wasn't belittleing you anyway.
America is the best country in the world. Isn't that what you really wanted to hear by starting this thread? I don't think people in general believe they are superior to other people. And I certainly don't think I am superior to any person in Europe. But I do think America is a superior country and I am proud to be a part of it.

Any American who voted "no" on this thread was duped by our European friend.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Didn't american football originate from Rugby?
Well, no...football, rugby, and soccer were derived from early versions of British games in which they used their feet to kick a ball toward a goal.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
America is the best country in the world. Isn't that what you really wanted to hear by starting this thread? I don't think people in general believe they are superior to other people. And I certainly don't think I am superior to any person in Europe. But I do think America is a superior country and I am proud to be a part of it.

Any American who voted "no" on this thread was duped by our European friend.
The majority of Americans as people seem to think they are superior than europeans. America as a nation I have already said is superior but YOU as a person are not.

You always have to around saying "America is the best country in the world" don't you? you americans just cant stop saying that ****. I would like to see why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.