Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times

Advertisements

Memphis and most of West Tennessee belong in Mississippi. Or maybe in Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
I think Southern Missouri below Cape Girardeau and Highway 60 should be turned over to Arkansas. This includes Branson. Furthermore, Missouri could be split up into two separate states around the Missouri River, with St. Louis and Kansas City being included in the Northern half. The Ozarks could become their own state.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,787,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
If you could have any region of your state to separate what would it be???
What I mean by that is, what part of your state has to pay for the rest of the state problems, but the state doesn't want to pay for your problems!!! Or it just doesn't seem as if it should be in the same state because it's messes up your regions Reputation...

For me I say: The Upstate, SC

South Carolina Dept. of Transportation never want's to fund any road projects in the area, until it is needed...So what I mean by that is: A road could be in grade D form heading towards grade F form fast but they do not want to fund it until it's grade D...(Ex. I-85 which needs about 4 lanes in each direction along with HOV lanes, this has been proposed but it hasn't been actually planned by the state)...But on the other hand some other part's of SC have 4 lanes in each direction in a rural location including light's (On I-385 there is barley any light's), new bridges, and etc...

Columbia, SC doesn't like Greenville so it proposed to take away one of it's new developments (that will include 20,000 new jobs) and move it to another part of the state because we have to much development going on...

In the stimulus package money coming to SC, Greenville will get a small percentage of it...

University of South Carolina doesn't have a Greenville location but it has locations in other cities and counties adjacent to Greenville...

I believe it would do better as it's own state, but this will never happen, and I don't want it to happen!!! I just want to ask what region of your state is undeserved???
In SC, all the urban areas of the state get the shaft as opposed to the rural areas, and this is pretty common in several states. I believe it's even worse in Georgia.

What in the world are you talking about "Columbia doesn't like Greenville and wanted to move one of its developments"? I didn't know one city could steal a development from another city. This is nonsense.

USC has a campus in Spartanburg, which is part of the Upstate. The Upstate consists of more than just Greenville. It might also help to know a little about the history of USC-Upstate in Spartanburg:

When Spartanburg General Hospital announced it was phasing out its diploma program for registered nurses in 1967, a citizens' committee requested that Spartanburg be included in the University of South Carolina system to avert a serious healthcare problem.

So Spartanburg having a USC campus to the exclusion of Greenville wasn't in an attempt to give Greenville the finger; the citizens of Spartanburg requested this. Greenville wasn't in a position where this was needed.

The Upstate is getting its fair share of stimulus money for highway and bridge projects according to this map. Of all of the counties in the state getting funds for pavement improvement, Greenville ranks first with $5.2 million. Richland County comes in second with $3.9 million, over $1 million less than Greenville County.

You're imagining things.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:50 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Northern Virginia should secede from Virginia. Northern Virginia makes the state lose creditability for being Southern, very liberal while the rest of VA is more conversative, and has a large illegal alien population which you wont find in the rest of VA.
Didn't the entire state of Virginia go blue back in November? It wasn't just Northern Virginia, but several other areas as well - enough so that 53% went Democrat. That doesn't sound like "the rest of VA is more conservative."

Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 PM

970 posts, read 2,939,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Didn't the entire state of Virginia go blue back in November? It wasn't just Northern Virginia, but several other areas as well - enough so that 53% went Democrat. That doesn't sound like "the rest of VA is more conservative."
I'd venture to say that NOVA libs & the large concentrations of black voters in Hampton Roads & Richmond made up that 53%. That's a small geographic area as compared to the rest of the state.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM

542 posts, read 1,493,301 times
^ And those numerous college towns spread throughout the state.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times
Quote:
democrats can lean conversative. In fact, my hometown Hampton, VA is blue mainly due to the african-american population but it always felt conversative lite to me.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,007,425 times
I think Eastern Illinois East of US 45 should go to Indiana. While Western Ohio West of US 68 and I-75(Northwest Ohio) down to Ohio 73 and North of OH 73 to US 27 should go to Indiana.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:31 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,737,668 times
Northern Virginia is distinct from the majority of Va, so I could visualize that.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,737,668 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyseSoze
^ And those numerous college towns spread throughout the state.
Agree. 2008 Election Map of Va: http://www.andrewclem.com/Politics/Maps/2008Virginia_Pres_Elec.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.