Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
What do you honestly expect someone to do when their state is getting bashed?
Make that 9.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 14,004 times
Jealous of Florida?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I hear this so many times from transplants from up North. "My friends won't come see me since we moved to Florida". "I call and ask them to come visit, but they keep making excuses". "Well, they are just jealous that we are now living in "paradise" and they are still living in the cold north". "People from up North would KILL to be in Florida when it is 85 degrees in January". It is almost the same line over and over from all different people.
Uh, maybe they a) don't have the money to visit; b) would prefer to take a vacation someplace else; c) don't really like the person/people they know in Florida enough to want to spend a week or more with them; d) can't/won't make that kind of drive; e) don't want to spend the money on airfare to see people that are just going to be up north that summer, visiting them.

Why do so many Floridians leave in the summer? Is it because they're jealous of people in the cooler north or because they have relatives up north? Maybe the latter are going to see multiple people from when they lived there but the people going to Florida would only be going there to see one couple that moved there and maybe that doesn't appeal to them all that much. Maybe the people up north only have vacation time in the summer and don't want to spend it in hotter than hell Florida.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM

321 posts, read 1,097,057 times
No I'm not real jealous of the floridans (or whatever their called), I mean... The people that move to south Florida or somewhere in the middle of Florida must miss all of the season of the year, or, I know I would.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Take my mom for example. She was born and raised in Michigan, which is by far more cold the NY. She never complains about the weather here in FL. NEVER.
I have many elderly relatives (born & raised in upstate NY) who feel the same way. But their lifestyles revolve around their air conditioned homes, cars, malls, restaurants etc. Those of us who enjoy year-round outdoor activities have much to complain about FL's springsummerfall season. I know, I endured 7 years of them when growing up.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
What do you honestly expect someone to do when their state is getting bashed?
How about accepting it? I've lived in 5 different states including FL. I now live in MN, a state that takes its share of bashing (too cold, too isolated, too non-diverse, too provincial, etc.) The natives here are just as proud of their state as are the people in FL. But the difference is, MN'ns recognize that this state is not for everyone, and aren't so surprised when others criticize it. Unlike FL, there's not NEAR as much self-congratulation among people who have moved there, convincing themselves that they have found paradise and believing that everyone in the world wishes THEY lived here.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Uh, maybe they a) don't have the money to visit; b) would prefer to take a vacation someplace else; c) don't really like the person/people they know in Florida enough to want to spend a week or more with them; d) can't/won't make that kind of drive; e) don't want to spend the money on airfare to see people that are just going to be up north that summer, visiting them.

Why do so many Floridians leave in the summer? Is it because they're jealous of people in the cooler north or because they have relatives up north? Maybe the latter are going to see multiple people from when they lived there but the people going to Florida would only be going there to see one couple that moved there and maybe that doesn't appeal to them all that much. Maybe the people up north only have vacation time in the summer and don't want to spend it in hotter than hell Florida.
People have total us b) and especially, e) since we/me go back all the time to see our daughters. Plus, your last sentence is especially true.

I think those other people I know living in Florida just plain don't want to hear what people are really saying. I know for a fact that they own a business in NY and go up there several times a year and see their friends several times a year. Personally, I think just want to try to "gloat" and push their lifestyle in the faces of their friends. The look at me and what I got syndrom. I doubt their friends really care. They are probably very happy with their own lifestyle.

Last edited by TANaples; 06-10-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
For as long as I live I will never be jealous of people who live in Florida.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How about accepting it? I've lived in 5 different states including FL. I now live in MN, a state that takes its share of bashing (too cold, too isolated, too non-diverse, too provincial, etc.) The natives here are just as proud of their state as are the people in FL. But the difference is, MN'ns recognize that this state is not for everyone, and aren't so surprised when others criticize it. Unlike FL, there's not NEAR as much self-congratulation among people who have moved there, convincing themselves that they have found paradise and believing that everyone in the world wishes THEY lived here.
I can accept that FL is not for everyone. I've said this many times before. It is very obvious. The culture, the climate, the landscape, ect, is all very different from most parts of the country. I just can't stand when people bash Floridians or make sweeping generalizations about the state based on one area or their experience which in no way represents the state as a whole.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Places I'd rather live than Florida

Detroit
Uganda
Chad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.