Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the East Coast have more Hispanics and Asians than the West Coast by 2020
Yes 4 10.26%
No 35 89.74%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 PM

85 posts, read 160,818 times

Advertisements

If you think of all the east coast states from Florida to Maine (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME), the Asian and Hispanic populations of those states are nearly the same as the west coast (CA, OR, WA)

Demographics of Asian Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Coast Asians: 6,347,124 East Coast Asians: 5,648,265

West Coast Hispanics: 15,291,571 East Coast Hispanics: 14,335,693

I'm not asking about the demographic or cultural impact that the groups would have on the places because obviously its more greatly marked on the West Coast, but in terms of raw numbers, is it possible that the East Coast states will actually have more of these groups than the West Coast by 2020, given the stronger economy of states from Maryland southward and just the general fast population growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Probably, if for no other reason the Eastern Seaboard is much more dense and holds more people in general. I especially don't see the PNW outside of Seattle & Portland being built-up on a large scale any time soon.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM

281 posts, read 712,919 times
I understand you're looking at raw numbers but if you look at the percent of the total population, the West Coast has a much larger Hispanic and Asian American population, considering that the East Coast has approximately 113,000,000 people, while the West Coast has closer to 50,000,000. So, that's like:

West Coast Asians: 12% East Coast Asians: 5%

West Coast Hispanics: 30% East Coast Hispanics: 12%

In terms of raw numbers you may be correct, but that seems as informative as noting that the population of the East Coast will still be greater in the year 2020.

If you take the time, you could probably even determine the answer to this question by looking at the percent of each population currently under the age of one. For example, in New York State, 56% of the population under the age of 1 belong to a minority group, compared to about 44% of the total population, while in California 75% of the population under the age of 1 belong to a minority group versus 60% of the total population. However, you would have to further research the subgroups of each state to get a total figure.

Last edited by Sizzle-Chest; 03-07-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Is an area that covers a larger geographic area and more densely populated going to have more of a demographic than a smaller and less densely populated area?

Fixed the thread title for you so more people can understand what's going on.

Though technically correct in your east coast states, Maine to Florida is actually 1/3 larger than CA, WA, and OR. Nevada is usually thrown into the California pile (though not a coastal state), and it can be argued that Arizona could be considered a West Coast state (though I won't).

Nevada should be since its in the same time zone, a huge percentage of people are from California, and lets face it, gets most of its business and tourism from Californians. It's not any different than including Pennsylvania or Vermont as East Coast states even though they're definitely not technically touching the coast.

Even with Nevada, I actually think its possible that the East Coast as a whole will probably surpass the West Coast in this demographic measuring contest simply because there's many more areas to find a decent job for people to live their lives and is generally more developed and has more infrastructure to support a decent life than a place like Baker City, OR.

Congratulations! I hope this revelation is a game changer.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM

484 posts, read 871,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
If you think of all the east coast states from Florida to Maine (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME), the Asian and Hispanic populations of those states are nearly the same as the west coast (CA, OR, WA)
Since you've included Southern states, I see you're referring to "east coast states" as states literally having a shoreline along the Atlantic, in which case PA and VT should not belong. Otherwise, Hawaii should be included (Nevada, too, to an extent) as part of the West Coast, as it is a western state and has shorelines along the Pacific.

To answer your question, it's possible but I don't think likely. 2020 is only 7 years away, and I don't think there will be a big change in the status quo. Let's just take the Asian demographic alone for example. In California, there are more immigrants from Asia coming here than from anywhere else, including Latin American countries. So you know the Asian population is only growing in California. There is still a huge backlog of Asians waiting for Visas to come to this country. And this is not including the birth rate, which actually rose a bit for Asian-Americans. California has the largest raw Asian population (Hawaii has the largest proportion), and I don't see why the vast amount of them would stop immigrating to the West Coast.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
To answer your question, it's possible but I don't think likely. 2020 is only 7 years away, and I don't think there will be a big change in the status quo. Let's just take the Asian demographic alone for example. In California, there are more immigrants from Asia coming here than from anywhere else, including Latin American countries. So you know the Asian population is only growing in California. There is still a huge backlog of Asians waiting for Visas to come to this country. And this is not including the birth rate, which actually rose a bit for Asian-Americans. California has the largest raw Asian population (Hawaii has the largest proportion), and I don't see why the vast amount of them would stop immigrating to the West Coast.
The Asian population is growing everywhere in the US, and as a %, the Asian population is growing the second slowest ('only' grew 32% from 2000-2010) after Hawaii, but most of that has to do with the fact that there's already a large Asian population here to begin with. In terms of raw numbers, California's raw Asian growth eclipsed the next 4 largest growers combined. However, California 'only' gets 1/4 of Asian immigrants nowadays, as opposed to getting 1/3 or 1/2 20-30 years ago.

Same is true with the Hispanic population ('only' grew 28% from 2000-2010), but when there's already nearly 14 million Hispanics here, it's hard to grow by 100% without there being severe overpopulation issues.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 PM

85 posts, read 160,818 times
Why are more people voting no than yes, even though the Hispanic and Asian populations on the East Coast are growing faster than on the West Coast? And doesn't this prove that the East Coast is more tolerant and less racist than the West Coast, considering that there are similar numbers of Asians and Hispanics but way more White and Black people?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
No, it doesn't mean that at all. East coasters are a bit more prejudiced from my experience. I believe I heard a few weeks ago about everyone complaining about some NYC politician's afro. Boston also has a lot of racial tension, and Miami also has race issues. LA, Seattle, San Diego, Portland and San Francisco do not generally have these problems (other than LA's 90s gang wars). Just because San Diego, Portland and Seattle may be more White than anything doesn't mean it's more racist.

And no, I don't think the East Coast will have more Asians and Latinos than the West Coast anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
No, it doesn't mean that at all. East coasters are a bit more prejudiced from my experience. I believe I heard a few weeks ago about everyone complaining about some NYC politician's afro. Boston also has a lot of racial tension, and Miami also has race issues. LA, Seattle, San Diego, Portland and San Francisco do not generally have these problems (other than LA's 90s gang wars). Just because San Diego, Portland and Seattle may be more White than anything doesn't mean it's more racist.

And no, I don't think the East Coast will have more Asians and Latinos than the West Coast anytime in the foreseeable future.
Umm... this happened more recently than this .....

Not that this has anything to do with the thread.

I agree with what someone said above; whether or not the Asian and Latino populations in the east surpass those in the west in terms of raw numbers, it doesn't really matter because proportionately the west coast will still be a lot more Asian/Latino than the east.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
No, I see the most growth in the West Coast states for those two demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.