Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 PM

413 posts, read 2,555,713 times

Advertisements

I took a drive today and went boating in Racine, Wisconsin about 35 miles north of here. Many parts of Racine are not very nice and in fact pretty working class or ghetto. The area on the lake has a nice downtown, some nice big old houses, and some sprouting luxury condos. Other than this one part I would avoid Racine altogether. Ditto on Kenosha, Zion, Waukegan etc. Very depressed and depressing area, LOTS of illegal aliens, abandoned industrial/nuclear plants, you get the picture.

So yeah you could probably get a home for cheap in Zion of the big size but your Oil City is likely to have a low job base, coal mining as a primary industry, crack whores and crime problems, etc to arrive at its very low prices.

You could get a condo in Tennessee and rent and as I recall you are very young you can work and make your bones in the world including in your profession.

In order to be a successful graphic designer you will want to meet with your clients from time to time and they probably won't want to hear complaints about the housing prices. You could relocate to one of these growing areas with likely rising housing prices (such is life), work hard for some more years, and get your dream house with the size you want. I'm sure you will be living nicer in Tennessee in any case than Palm Beach Florida and certainly not a dead end choice like living in Oil City. Watch the Tom Cruise movie, Makes all the right moves something like that to get a feel for Oil City. It takes place in a depressed coal mining town in Pennsylvania where Tom cruise's only hope for a better future is with a big college football scholarship as his way out of the town. Will you feel as comfortable in your Oil City Sheetz or Flying Eagle grocery what ever its called as at West Palm Beach Whole Foods or gourmet groceries? Hell I went to the grocery store in Zion this weekend and I felt very out of place. Then again I'd probably feel a little out of place on the other spectrum in West Palm Beach. Come back a bit more to reality and follow more of the beaten path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Exactly.

When TN is too expensive in 10 (heck, maybe 5 for the big cities) years, they'll go somewhere like Kentucky. Then that will get too expensive. Then they'll go to, I dunno, Indiana. It just won't end...
You know bmurphy it will end.

Despite the growth in population, many Americans are overstretched financially and tapped into the equity of their home/purchasing grand homes they can afford in the short term but not in the long run.

I predict in the future more of a bursting in the housing bubble as baby boomers who constitute a much larger part of the population than do the succeeding generations go to retire and there is a GLUT of luxury homes and otherwise. If heating costs go up in the Northern states/oil to a much greater extent then either the south may become more populated as a decision or the big houses in the north won't sell as much as they did before. Its just plain economics.

However, we are a growing population and some of the successes of globalization have ensured that American multinational corporations have established bigger markets abroad and an increased global presence. Of course there are problems also but with a balance of government regulations and capitalist interests, I have good faith that the country's economy will continue to grow and that American ingenuity will prevail.

Seeing really young people in a huge house is kind of gross like nothing was really worked up for there. I don't see what the whole race is and if you want to avoid the keep up with the joneses feel, take pride and confidence in yourself and your possessions and conservatively and soundly trod on forward. When everyone else is foreclosing you'll be in the position to buy. Things work in cycles. Unfortunately we are at the very overvalued part of the cycle.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,961 times
Default Harsh, but I believe misplaced advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
I took a drive today and went boating in Racine, Wisconsin about 35 miles north of here. Many parts of Racine are not very nice and in fact pretty working class or ghetto. The area on the lake has a nice downtown, some nice big old houses, and some sprouting luxury condos. Other than this one part I would avoid Racine altogether. Ditto on Kenosha, Zion, Waukegan etc. Very depressed and depressing area, LOTS of illegal aliens, abandoned industrial/nuclear plants, you get the picture.

So yeah you could probably get a home for cheap in Zion of the big size but your Oil City is likely to have a low job base, coal mining as a primary industry, crack whores and crime problems, etc to arrive at its very low prices.

You could get a condo in Tennessee and rent and as I recall you are very young you can work and make your bones in the world including in your profession.

In order to be a successful graphic designer you will want to meet with your clients from time to time and they probably won't want to hear complaints about the housing prices. You could relocate to one of these growing areas with likely rising housing prices (such is life), work hard for some more years, and get your dream house with the size you want. I'm sure you will be living nicer in Tennessee in any case than Palm Beach Florida and certainly not a dead end choice like living in Oil City. Watch the Tom Cruise movie, Makes all the right moves something like that to get a feel for Oil City. It takes place in a depressed coal mining town in Pennsylvania where Tom cruise's only hope for a better future is with a big college football scholarship as his way out of the town. Will you feel as comfortable in your Oil City Sheetz or Flying Eagle grocery what ever its called as at West Palm Beach Whole Foods or gourmet groceries? Hell I went to the grocery store in Zion this weekend and I felt very out of place. Then again I'd probably feel a little out of place on the other spectrum in West Palm Beach. Come back a bit more to reality and follow more of the beaten path.
I don't think that describes the real situation in Oil City. No coal mines in that region directly. Tho a laptop is missing in Oil City and the Police would like your help.

I also would question the availability of crack whores in Oil City. I did not see any type of whores, if so; they were pretty slack, the ladies do not approach that bold. Might be my inexperience with the subject but I got no offers for dates. Least not like in New Jersey.

Our friend NAH, first priority has to be get a good set of wheels. Even some slightly hot wheels recently liberated in Racine would do. If you are Oil City bound, must be mobile. Whores like a man who can cruise well.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:19 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,273,878 times
Quote:
You really shouldn't comment on an area you have no idea about.

Quote:
certainly not a dead end choice like living in Oil City. Watch the Tom Cruise movie, Makes all the right moves something like that to get a feel for Oil City. It takes place in a depressed coal mining town in Pennsylvania where Tom cruise's only hope for a better future is with a big college football scholarship as his way out of the town. Will you feel as comfortable in your Oil City Sheetz or Flying Eagle grocery what ever its called as at West Palm Beach Whole Foods or gourmet groceries? Hell I went to the grocery store in Zion this weekend and I felt very out of place. Then again I'd probably feel a little out of place on the other spectrum in West Palm Beach. Come back a bit more to reality and follow more of the beaten path.
Again you are totally clueless.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Oil City Sheetz or Flying Eagle grocery what ever its called as at West Palm Beach Whole Foods or gourmet groceries? Hell I went to the grocery store in Zion this weekend and I felt very out of place.
Funny you mentioned this just this morning Oil City now has both... "It's Just Natural" health food store on First Street in Oil City.

http://www.thederrick.com/stories/03262007-1004.shtml (broken link)

Again if you know nothing of the area you shouldn't say what the area has or does not have.
I've been there,lived there so I qualify you do not.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Watch the Tom Cruise movie, Makes all the right moves something like that to get a feel for Oil City.
And you know this how????? From watching a movie that came out in 1983????? 24 years ago.
What city was this,I know it wasn't filmed in Oil City...so hmmm I'm really confused how you come to this conclusion.

But anyway I'm done with my small rant.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM

I've been to other parts of the state outside of the Philadelphia area and Pittsburgh. I know what I'm talking about and no I don't need to visit some dishevelled piece of Pennsyltucky western pa crap town to know that the economy there isn't so great as in Philly or something a bit more upmarket.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
I've been to other parts of the state outside of the Philadelphia area and Pittsburgh. I know what I'm talking about and no I don't need to visit some dishevelled piece of Pennsyltucky western pa crap town to know that the economy there isn't so great as in Philly or something a bit more upmarket.
Boy I don't know dude. You are not doing well on this subject. Open jaw, insert foot.

Ms Mystree66 is cutting your position to ribbons. I mean like Leroy with that razor in a street fight; getting cut three ways, deep, wide and continuous. Those pointed neat sharp directed parry / thrust counters to vulnerable wild failings / swingings to find the vital organs.

You should take a page from Italian Army basic training manual. Fire one shot, throw rifle down, raise hands. Your knees will rise to meet your chest if not careful.

Not only is there a new grocery in Oil City but they also opened a new credit union, apparently another to come. House prices are probably rising. You actually can not put a lot of facts together until you have had boots on the ground. I did not realize how big the surface area was until after I was there. Two sections it appears you are heading out into the boonies again. But you have to know drive thru the area, other dense sections are futher down.

That southern road entrance continues up the west side of Oil Creek to a section I did not see. Probably better because it is less dense. Plus on the south side, you have to know to drive thru in the out of the business district area to what appears to be a steep hill to get into both an industrial and other housing area.

Once I had been there a lot of things start to make sense. Especially stories in the newspapers. There is more petty stupid type crime than NAH wants to admit. Plus it is definitely not a place to be walking for the most part. But the general direction is up, NAH might not find anything if he delays much. Your typical rebound scenario. Checking the local newspaper ads for real estate is usually a better indication of what is actually happening.

They do require building permits for all work, both new, repair, rehab. They are far more anal than first believed. Your typical over regulation type ordinances. What PA can over do in some spots.

Oil City will have a 150 year celebration in 2009. Open question if NAH will be there in time for it. I still wonder about secret bunkers or projects in those hills. Certain organizations have a nasty habit in picking obscure locations. Franklin Reno could have its origin in Nevada or all sorts of other places, why would you pick PA to base your tale? I can tell you a funny story about something in Putnam, CT. But we probably will never be able to get into those type details. More excitement factors there. The Gods don't even like to explore the various signage around the area.

A fine computation of the Qualified Available Babe Factor (QABF) would be interesting. You wonder because the Raw Numbers for WPB have a similar setup in the lower categories. Would probably have to be done with a Spectrum Data Spread for this situation. Another largely unexplored interesting area. So much work, so lil time.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
If you haven't been to Oil City itself,then no you don't know what you are talking about. Sorry this one you can't win no matter how hard you try. Just as I can not tell what an area is like unless me,myself has been there,and if you ask someone about an area they can give you THEIR opinion but it is just that THEIR opinion,but to speak so negatively about somewhere you've never been is wrong.Never judge a book by it's cover because you just might learn something.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Boy I don't know dude. You are not doing well on this subject. Open jaw, insert foot.
Some folks just need a little exter edjacatin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.