Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 142,823 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a ride from Southern California to Central Florida. This is going to be my first road-trip ever. Just got my driver's license couple weeks ago and I'm kind of new to driving. But I feel very comfortable and confident while driving so no worries about that. I thought about posting here and asking for some advice. Actually I'm new to America, just moved here from Europe, so you know ANY KIND of an advice regarding this trip would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know much about driving cross-country, freeways, cars, staying at motels and in general traveling around US, so seriously, anything that pops to your head, feel free to let me know what you think about this. I'm planning to take the 10 interstate. I'm thinking about getting there in four or five days, depending on how I'll feel on the road. I enjoy driving, drove a lot through California, and I'm used to driving couple hours at a time. I figured that I could take those 2400 miles at best in three days. But that's kind of crazy and I don't want to rush myself and would definitely like to stop and do some sightseeing every once in a while. Which points of the route are definitely must-see? Which scenic routes are the best? Any cities along the way that are worth of stopping by and taking a better look? I enjoy nice views and nice/unique cities or towns. I'm not sure where to sleep. I was thinking about sleeping in my car but I've read that in general you're not allowed to sleep in your car. Is that true? Am I confined only to certain rest areas where you can sleep? Is that not dangerous? What are the average rates for motel rooms? As for my car, well I've just changed her oil, transmission fluids, and coolant, and all the other basic stuff so I think she's good to go. I'm worried about driving long distances without a gas station. Is it possible not having a gas station for 300 miles? I'm worried especially about those broad regions in Texas. How fast can I go on the freeways? I think that'll be it for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I haven't traveled a whole lot of I-10, but I would make a point of stopping somewhere along the gulf coast in Mississippi. It's a beautiful area (although I'm sure there's still some signs of devastation from Hurricane Katrina- this might be interesting in itself.) You can also see it without venturing too far from I-10 and wasting a lot of time.

You will never see a gap of 300 miles between stations. Make yourself a rule of not passing up a station when you are below a 1/2 tank and you will be fine.

You could probably get away with sleeping in your car at a rest area, but that would be a little too creepy for my taste.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
The speed limit will probably run from 60 to 70 miles per hour...I'd watch my speed if I were you because a ticket can be quite high these days.

I didn't see if you said if you were a male or female, if you are female DON'T stay at rest stops over night in your car. If you are male and do stay at rest stops just be sure there are plenty of others there too.

Going thur Texas on I-10 can get real boring in West Texas...I-10 will take you thru Houston into Louisiana, watch your speed real close there...

And I would make it a four day trip not three..

Do a Map Quest for a better time and maps..

You could check motel rates on line after you see the route you are going to take.

Have fun and be safe....

Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM

michigan83 - thank you, I'll keep the Mississippi gulf coast in mind
Houston - I am a male, I saw some movies about creeps in Texas and I'm not sure about sleeping in rest areas, but then again these days it's a way to save money
Any more posts would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I've done that trip myself from coast to coast several times.. fun times! def an experience... Texas is extremely boring driving through... Bring some cds, you won't be able to pick up a radio station at some points. Though the speed limit there and I believe in New Mexico are up to 75 when nothing is around for cars. It can be done much quicker though if you have enough caffeine in your system... I've driven straight through twice only stopping for gas going from Cali to Florida, so, it can be done. I am a guy, and also had no problems sleeping in my car... but thats juts me. If you want some places to stay I'd check out couchsurfing.com might make your trip more enjoyable...

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Be sure to stop and see New Orleans.

RE: sleeping in your car, I wouldn't recommend it for safety's ake. An alternative would be to stop at a state park campground. Even if you don't have a tent, you could pull into a site to sleep in your car, and you'd be much safer since these campgrounds are well patrolled.

Have fun!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:19 PM

One more thing. I just bought my car a few weeks ago from the dealer. The car is registered on my dad so the insurance would be way cheaper. The car has only rear plate, it's missing the front plate. It turned out today at the DMV that I won't be getting it anytime soon, since my dad left the country and he has to file for the other plate in person. What a drag. So I have this note on my windshield "Used vehicle dealer notive/ temporary identification". Now are there chances of that being an issue in other states when being pulled over by the police? Let's just say I bought a car in California. But couldn't wait for the plates to come and decided to move to another state. Is that a violation of the law?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM

anyone?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM

update
any more advice on the road trip?

Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Don't believe the stereotypes about "creeps" in Texas. You will be just as safe in Texas as eny other state. Hollywood likes to make Texas (and the South in general) look bad. (BTW, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on a true story... that happened in Wisconsin if that's what you are basing your assumption on.) The speed limit is 80 from San Antonio west to El Paso, so that helps with getting by the boring part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.