Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

I think kids are like this mostly everywhere, these kids get into sex and drugs way too early, 12 y/o having babies and teens doing drugs and drinking with parents is more common than most people think. Most kids find crimes to give them something to do, even kids in elem. school are bad. My cousin is a 2nd grade teacher and she says the kids know too much at their ages.

I have to say some of the worst kids I have seen are the suburban kids of Albuquerque.
I was at a minor league hockey game one night and I heard a group of kids around the ages of 10-12 talking about f----ing each others mom and giving each other STD's. Then most of the suburban kids like to experience with drugs and do anything for excitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Dude, it totally depends on where u are. It depends on where in TX. If you're in austin kids are probably pretty chill, hippy parents etc. But if you're in H-town and you have some snot-nosed brats, the son of some fortune 500 guy, driving around in daddy's car, you get bad apples.
That's really oversimplifying things, dontcha think? That's like saying all kids in L.A. are rude spoiled brats like Paris Hilton, when there are many perfectly normal teens there, too. There are both kinds of kids everywhere. People get way too hung up on thinking people are one way in this locale and behave totally differently way in another. While it's true that different regions have had different cultures generally speaking, people move around WAY too much these days and are too greatly influenced by the media and pop culture to ascribe certain personality traits to any given region. Labels are for boxes and cans, not people.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
All schools promote character education...I don't know if the school you're referring to is public or private, but one big difference in the two is that public schools are required to accept every student, and they just about have to murder someone to get kicked out of school - and even then they just go to another public school system.
It's a great public school.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 AM

421 posts, read 556,261 times
I've lived I. Houston 14 years (and raised kids this whole time) and haven't found there are a ton of "bad" kids. Quite the opposite. At least in places I go, most kids are fairly well behaved and respectful. Once I'm a while we run into some poorly behaved kids but it isn't a common thing.

There is a bit of an issue because I really monitor my kids tv, so things my 8 year old son likes, lots of kids his age thinks they are baby shows. Also, I don't allow them to call people stupid or idiots, and other kids seem to a lot so my son takes it really personally.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:52 AM

421 posts, read 556,261 times
Oh man, sorry, this post is 6 years old.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Haven't old people always complained about kids? Every generation thinks the new generation of kids is terrible. It's the circle of life.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Haven't old people always complained about kids? Every generation thinks the new generation of kids is terrible. It's the circle of life.
And if people have the chance to meet the parents of these kids, they'll see it nearly always stems from the adults.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 PM

136 posts, read 241,254 times
Southern kids are a lot classier. Especially in the way they dress. Spend a week at a Northern or East Coast college campus and you'll see lots of kids wearing sweatpants, jeans, t shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Some dress up but there are a lot that dress down.

Go to a southern University or an SEC school, most of the guys will wear button ups, khakis, vineyard vines, sperries, etc to class on a regular basis. The girls often wear sundresses or their oversized sorority shirts with leggings. You also don't see college students down south going to bars in t-shirts. I go to an SEC school and everyone makes fun of northern attire because they don't dress up for anything that isn't required. People up North would think it was weird if you went to class every day in a sundress if you're a girl or a tie if you're a guy -- that's pretty normal down here.

I'd estimate 90% of the students at University of Georgia, South Carolina, or any other SEC school go to bars or football games in extremely nice attire and dress up a lot more for classes.

Being classy is lost on northern kids -- coming from a northerner.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Go to a southern University or an SEC school, most of the guys will wear button ups, khakis, vineyard vines, sperries, etc to class on a regular basis...

You also don't see college students down south going to bars in t-shirts...

I'd estimate 90% of the students at University of Georgia, South Carolina, or any other SEC school go to bars or football games in extremely nice attire and dress up a lot more for classes.

The most exaggerated post I've seen in a long, long time.

Go to youtube, look at campus videos, nightlife videos and football game videos of SEC schools..Then look at videos of Big10, Pac10 etc. schools..No difference whatsoever.

I'd estimate less than 10% of SEC students go to bars or football games in 'extremely nice attire'.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM

136 posts, read 241,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'd estimate less than 10% of SEC students go to bars or football games in 'extremely nice attire'.
You clearly have not been exposed to southern greek life culture. You call it exaggerated, but in the SEC, greek life literally runs the campus culture. Talk to anyone who went to school down here, fraternities and sororities are a HUGE deal. Because of this, many students dress the part. When more students are involved in greek life and that culture has such a big influence, people are going to dress nicer. That's just common sense.

By extremely nice, I'm not talking a suit. I'm talking oxford button-downs, khakis, sperrys, etc. The girls never go out in anything but a dress, skirt or something nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.