Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM

357 posts, read 1,456,380 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any sites in the USA that look like they could represent the locations in JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Hobbit novels if you were filming a movie based on them?

Do any parts of the USA resemble the shire, gondor, mordor, rivendell and rohan? Are there other sites in american that just have that otherworldly, medieval fantasy feel to them?

While we're on the topic, has any famous medieval or sword and sorcery movie ever been filmed in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,891,613 times
I know it is based on rural England, but to me, the Shire has always, and will always be New England.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,117,494 times
Default California

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
Does anyone know of any sites in the USA that look like they could represent the locations in JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Hobbit novels if you were filming a movie based on them?

Do any parts of the USA resemble the shire, gondor, mordor, rivendell and rohan? Are there other sites in american that just have that otherworldly, medieval fantasy feel to them?

While we're on the topic, has any famous medieval or sword and sorcery movie ever been filmed in the USA?
California would be ideal. Death Valley and the Lassen Volcano area could represent parts of Mordor. Yosemite and its waterfall could be Rivendell. The Redwood country, with its giant trees could be Fangorn forest (where Merry & Pippin meet the Ents).

Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,117,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I know it is based on rural England, but to me, the Shire has always, and will always be New England.
To me the Finger Lakes with its beautiful rolling farmland and small towns would make an even better Shire.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,744,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
To me the Finger Lakes with its beautiful rolling farmland and small towns would make an even better Shire.
I could see both. The two regions are so similar in geography. I was thinking the Pioneer Valley area out in Western MA with the rolling hills, the wide river, and the spotty farmland and quaint villages that dot the countryside. Vermont or the lakes region of Maine could fit as well. The Finger Lakes region is certainly a similar type of terrain to the shire and what has been mentioned about New England. Rural PA might work too.

I could picture Death Valley being Mordor. The name even implies the similarities. The Salt Flats would work too.

Glacier NP could represent some of the Mountainous areas.

Eastern Colorado, Eastern Wyoming, or Northeastern New Mexico would be my Rohan.

I could picture "Rivendell" being in the Mountains of the Pacific Northwest.

It's clear now that after listing of possible LOTR location in the U.S. that no female member of this site would ever consider going near me, so I hope someone agrees with me so this post is not ENTIRELY in vain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.