Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm currently 17 and live in New Zealand, i've just started saving to come to live in the USA and should have enough money in around 1 years time.

I was wondering if anyone could anwser these following questions:

1: If I come over to the USA on a 90-day visa can I find a job which will allow me to live in the US permanantly?

2: After my 90 day visa has expired, is it possible to get it extended?

3: Is there any other way which will allow me to live in the USA?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 08:24 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Hmmm... have you read or heard about how porous our southern border is? In your final question you didn't say "legal" ... so you could do as most of the hispanics that come here do. Just come up through Mexico and border jump. Then steal someone's social security number to use it for a job or purchasing a home. Then you can stay here forever and live out your life. Also, hurry up and have kids so that when they are born here they are American citizens and you can cry to the media how unfair it would be for you to be deported and leave them here to fend for themselves.

Obviously I'm pulling your leg... I despise people doing that....

Seriously though, you have to do what most of our ancestors did generations ago and come here legally, no matter how long it takes.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Lol i of course want to come here illegally, my post probaly didn't sound that way though.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
1) You can try, but I doubt incredibly you will be able to find anything legal unless you are an engineer or so. At your age, it may be best to pick a university and go to school here on a student visa. Only hook is you have to prove you have the funds to support yourself during your studies.

2) Instead of coming on the VWP, you need apply for a visa.

3) The only other ways to come over are the Diversity Lottery program or through marriage to a US citizen. I would recommend the DV.

4) There is also the option of Canada. They have looser immigration standards than the US does. You would probably have more luck with that.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I have seen a lot of immigrants be brought in legally to work as home health aides. Little or no skill is required; they will train you. There is a huge shortage of home health aides here. However the work is strenuous and not all companies will treat you well.
Does New Zealand have any kind of visa lotto? I know next to nothing about it, but recently a couple of fellows from Australia won the right to come over in some sort of lotto.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
It's too bad that you can't just find a willing American and swap citizenships with them. I'm sure there must be quite a few Americans who'd gladly trade their American citizenship for New Zealand citizenship.

Maybe you should come here for a while, just to visit in order to see that America's streets are not paved with gold. Rather, the American middle class is desperately struggling to keep from becoming the American lower class. I'm under the impression that the American gravy train left the station a couple decades ago. I'm betting that you can have an overall higher quality of life in New Zealand merely based on its low population density. There's so much more to quality of life than numerical income. Also, in about 40 years the U.S. will be jam-packed with about 500 million people and you might long for the "small" city of Auckland and New Zealands wide-open countryside.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It's too bad that you can't just find a willing American and swap citizenships with them. I'm sure there must be quite a few Americans who'd gladly trade their American citizenship for New Zealand citizenship.
*waves hands wildly*

ME! ME! ME!!!!

If only it worked like that.....

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Default BE MORE CONSIDERATE of others

As americans we can be more civilized and treat all people with respect, WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE BEING SO DAMM MEAN TO OTHER PEOPLE LIVING IN OTHER COUNTRY, all the girl is asking is for advice. No offense to the educated americans, but to those low life, stupid, ignorant, smart want to be, crying out for large population in the US, dumb ass don't u know that people are dying everyday or are you scared that they will take your low life minimum wage job!

I'm sorry if i offended anyone, but some people need to hear this and they know who they are
PEACE!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYSOMEAN View Post
As americans we can be more civilized and treat all people with respect, WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE BEING SO DAMM MEAN TO OTHER PEOPLE LIVING IN OTHER COUNTRY, all the girl is asking is for advice. No offense to the educated americans, but to those low life, stupid, ignorant, smart want to be, crying out for large population in the US, dumb ass don't u know that people are dying everyday or are you scared that they will take your low life minimum wage job!

I'm sorry if i offended anyone, but some people need to hear this and they know who they are
PEACE!!!

Hummm, I guess I'm out of the loop on this...must have missed something....

Anyways, to the original poster, no advice from me but good luck on reaching your goal!

Old 10-13-2007, 01:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYSOMEAN View Post

PEACE!!!
Did your doctor forget to renew your valium prescription?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.