Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think the southern accent is being heard less and less in many places, particularly metro Atlanta, even among some natives. I know a woman who is close to my age and she was born and raised in metro Atlanta. When I started talking to her, I thought she was from Ohio. What I am witnessing is that the southern accent among many people is starting dissapear, especially among people born after 1980. I was born in the south(New Orleans), lived in the Northwest and Southwest(Seattle area and DFW metroplex) and lived in the south permanantly since 1992(South Carolina and Georgia). When people talk to me, many think I am from California, or somewhere in the Midwest. I haven't picked up the accent. I think part of it is that many northern transplants are moving in and some of the children pick of their parents accent rather than the southern accent and then pass their accent along to other children who were born in Georgia.
Metro Atlantans thin they don't have an accent, but they most certainly do. Their accent isn't as strong as rural Tennessee, but the definite Southern twang is still there. I can usually tell an Atlanta (or Houston, Charlotte, etc.) muted Southern accent in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Metro Atlantans thin they don't have an accent, but they most certainly do. Their accent isn't as strong as rural Tennessee, but the definite Southern twang is still there. I can usually tell an Atlanta (or Houston, Charlotte, etc.) muted Southern accent in a heartbeat.
How is that even possible when approx. half the population here is not from the South.

I strongly disagree with your post.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,642,980 times
Quote:

Well good for you!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,430 times
Quote:
You are super gifted if you can spot an Atlantan just by hearing them speak. I'm from here and I can't even be sure that I'm speaking with a native or not and I've even had people tell me that I sound like I'm from another state. I really need to record myself and let it be picked apart because when I lived in TN I had a girl ask me if I was from Louisiana and some of them thought I was from the Midwest. I will say that my accent is shot because of the friends, family, and coworkers I talk to daily. I'm soft spoken but when I speak up I enunciate without really thinking about it (because I'm irritated from repeating myself) and I'm sure that affect my accent too.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
You are super gifted if you can spot an Atlantan just by hearing them speak. I'm from here and I can't even be sure that I'm speaking with a native or not and I've even had people tell me that I sound like I'm from another state. I really need to record myself and let it be picked apart because when I lived in TN I had a girl ask me if I was from Louisiana and some of them thought I was from the Midwest. I will say that my accent is shot because of the friends, family, and coworkers I talk to daily. I'm soft spoken but when I speak up I enunciate without really thinking about it (because I'm irritated from repeating myself) and I'm sure that affect my accent too.
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I've had non-southerners, while visiting, ask me where I was from. When they hear that I'm from Georgia, they're like, "Where's your accent", or "you don't have much of an accent", etc. Thus, I don't know.

By the way, I have lived in Georgia my entire life.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I've had non-southerners, while visiting, ask me where I was from. When they hear that I'm from Georgia, they're like, "Where's your accent", or "you don't have much of an accent", etc. Thus, I don't know.

By the way, I have lived in Georgia my entire life.
Yeah I get that a lot too and I've been in Texas for almost 20 years now.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,304,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicebube View Post
Another reason why the southern accent is getting weaker is because it's one of the most stereotyped accents in America.
In the northern cities there's also a relatively strong accent yet there's less tendency of it getting weaker because most people there aren't even aware they have an accent.
People are more conscious of the southern accent and those who have it are more likely to eliminate it, deliberately or not.

Btw, I'm not saying that the southern accent(s) is bad. In fact I love it. But the process explained above has been happening quite subliminally over the decades.
The problem with people getting rid of their accent through training with a speech expert of some kind is that it makes it worse for those who don't. It makes their accents stick out more. Soon, we all start sounding the same.

The same goes for trying to change up your accent depending on the person you are talking to. If somebody moves to the South, then they should know ahead of time that they're going to hear accents and should get used to it. If certain people stopped trying to modify their accents, then they (their accents) would be much more normalized.

...and if anyone would like to argue that the North to South migration hasn't had any effect on Southern accents then I would ask that you talk to my Southern father and then to me (Southern born and raised as well) and you'll hear quite a difference. My mother is from up North.

I also don't like using the word "stereotype" when talking about aspects of Southern culture. That word has a negative connotation a lot of the time and makes things that are fine sound like there is something bad about them.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 PM

81 posts, read 218,795 times
I think the accent in coastal N.C. is still very strong, especially in Rocky Mount, Wilson, Greenville and Nashville. Really, from Roanoke Rapids clear to Fayetteville. You should hear some of the local advertisements on the radio. The used car lot ones in particular.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Funny. I've been told I have a New York accent down South, and no accent at all out east (Philly). Go figure.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 PM

24 posts, read 78,790 times
I love Southern accents. I could listen to a Southern man talk all day and be happy just listening to him. :0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.