Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post

All this just to describe the Mid-Atlantic! I say splitting such an area up this way is a bit much. I think the whole area bears enough of a general geographic, architectural and cultural similarity to effectively call it one region.
exactly, people want me to split up all the west coast states, and split up the northeast. the point was to define general areas.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
That wasn't the ONLY region you had trouble with.......

ok what else did you think was wrong, (don't nitpick though, this map is supposed to be general). is there any other lines that are positioned wrong?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
exactly, people want me to split up all the west coast states, and split up the northeast. the point was to define general areas.
If 'that' was the case, the US government has already done that! They call those regions, the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, etc etc ......

Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
ok what else did you think was wrong, (don't nitpick though, this map is supposed to be general). is there any other lines that are positioned wrong?
You used WAY too broad of a stroke. Do you think that the cajon area around New Orleans is similiar to Northern Alabama? How if so? Their lifestyles, types of food, way of thinking, etc is COMPLETELY different!

P.S. I just seen that Atlanta is also suppose to be similiar to New Orleans? Again, in what way?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Your map should have more of Mizzou and a fairly decent portion of Southern Illinois included. See, how you have Kentucky colored red? Do you think that southern drawl and way of life just suddenly ends at the Illinois border?
i thought out this part of the map the most. the ohio river was a dividing line for many years. northern kentucky is no longer included because the midwest has spilled over into it. as far as missouri goes, what i hear from my cousin in st. louis is that much of missouri's midwestern side has been moving south, and that southern culture is dominant only around the arkansas border.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
You used WAY too broad of a stroke. Do you think that the cajon area around New Orleans is similiar to Northern Alabama? How if so? Their lifestyles, types of food, way of thinking, etc is COMPLETELY different!

P.S. I just seen that Atlanta is also suppose to be similiar to New Orleans? Again, in what way?
well it was supposed to be broad, if i was to do it the way you want it, every metropolitan are would be its own cultural region, and it would end up being at least 30 regions, maybe more. this is supposed to be general cultural regions. people in southern louisiana definetely identify as the south.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I sure as heck am. Is there a problem with it? Are you suggesting there is something about that historical fact which needs moral justification? If so, what are your reasons for it? Just curious, you understand!
Let's put it this way: since I have some German "blood" would I be proud of the 3rd Reich? NO WAY! Being proud of people who went to war against the United States in order to enslave the Black race is no better than the murders committed by Nazi's.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,401 times
Very nice map, I like it! But a little correction: Oklahoma and N. Texas (Amarillo and DFW areas) are really more of the Plains [cultural] region (in blue), and ALL of South and West Texas would go with the Southwest [cultural] region- a line from the corner of NMex curving south towards the bend and Del Rio, then heading east passing between San Antonio and Austin (San Marcos) across to the coast between Corpus and Houston...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
If 'that' was the case, the US government has already done that! They call those regions, the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, etc etc ......

the title is "My Map of U.S. Cultural REGIONS"

its supposed to be like the census' one but it doesn't have to obey state lines.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
well it was supposed to be broad, if i was to do it the way you want it, every metropolitan are would be its own cultural region, and it would end up being at least 30 regions, maybe more. this is supposed to be general cultural regions. people in southern louisiana definetely identify as the south.
Listen, you're the one who posted this inaccurate map. You say that it could be broken into 30 different regions, maybe so, like I said before, AMERICA is HUGE! If you think the people from New Orleans are the same as the ENTIRE South, you really haven't spent any time there. I don't see vodoo being praticed in Northern Alabama. The flavor and feel of the people of New Orleans compared to Atlanta, are MUCH different!

Burn your map now!...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.