Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-201 View Post
You know you are American if you are fat, non-stop eating junk food, never walks and drives everywhere, lazy.
I'm surprised you haven't made another anti-American thread on this very subject yet.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,193 times
Here's some American stereotypes:

Young male uniform is Khaki Shorts with Polo shirt and baseball cap (most likely backwards)
Don't own a passport
Believe in God
Horrible at Geography
Overweight / Obese
Have a disdain for reading
Believe in the credo 'Bigger is better' in terms of cars
Own a gun

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
I'll add more,

-You know you're an American if Ramon Noodles is all that's in your kitchen cabinets.
-You know you're an American if you wash a pair of cloths everyday.
-You know you're an American if you know the Papa Johns phone number better than you know 911 number
-You know you're an American if you take everything seriously to try to make yourself look intelligent (*cough* city *cough* data)
-You know you're an American if you act different with different races
-You know you're an American if you watch something on TV you hate for hours because you can't find the remote.
-You know you're an American if you go out and buy a new remote instead of spending 5 minutes to look for it
-You know you're an American if you put a 3cent offering in a charity box and feel great with 100 extra dollars in your pocket.
-You know you're an American if you don't know all the words to the National Anthem.
-You know you're an American if you have cloths laying around an empty hamper

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 05-01-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I'll add more,

-You know you're an American if Ramon Noodles is all that's in your kitchen cabinets.
-You know you're an American if you know the Papa Johns phone number better than you know 911 number
-You know you're an American if you take everything seriously to try to make yourself look intelligent (*cough* city *cough* data)
-You know you're an American if you watch something on TV you hate for hours because you can't find the remote.
-You know you're an American if you go out and buy a new remote instead of spending 5 minutes to look for it
-You know you're an American if you put a 3cent offering in a charity box and feel great with 100 extra dollars in your pocket.
-You know you're an American if you don't know all the words to the National Anthem.
I'm pretty certain that Newakr won't like this, but I just can't contain myself... So, sorry in advance...

That was the most nonsensical list of American stereotyping I've read... Half of them don't apply, the other half just make no sense...

Ramon?

What? Americans wash clothes a lot?

Is that chain even national? Never even been.

Is that a disclaimer for no one to have fun at your expense or what?

Huh? Act differently? You mean like, melancholy, exuberantly, provocatively...? What if I speak Spanish to a Mexican? Is that acting differently?

It seems like channel surfing is more the norm.

I don't know one person, anywhere, who has ever done that...

In your opinion, how much SHOULD people give? What if I need that $99.97 for bills?

And non-Americans do?

Cloths? You mean, like dust rags? If you meant 'clothes', isn't that the opposite of item #2?

Last edited by treedonkey; 05-01-2009 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I'm pretty certain that Newakr won't like this, but I just can't contain myself... So, sorry in advance...

That was the most nonsensical list of American stereotyping I've read... Half of them don't apply, the other half just make no sense...

Ramon?

What? Americans wash clothes a lot?

Is that chain even national? Never even been.

Is that a disclaimer for no one to have fun at your expense or what?

Huh? Act differently? You mean like, melancholy, exuberantly, provocatively...?

It seems like channel surfing is more the norm.

I don't know one person, anywhere, who has ever done that...

In your opinion, how much SHOULD people give? What if I need that $97.93 for bills?

And non-Americans do?

Cloths? You mean, like dust rags? If you meant 'clothes', isn't that the opposite of item #2?
Jeesh, you took this way too seriously. I know that all of these things are not what ALL Americans do. I'm using the stereotype of Americans as "Lazy", "Dumb", and "Fat"

From the past comments, this one would come to mind for you.
You know you're American if you can't take a good ribbing and don't understand good-natured self-depriciating humor!

What a waste of time explaining you opinions on my "You Know You're an American if" "jokes"
I know most of them aren't even merely 2% true but the ignorance of the truth about Americans from many outsiders view would believe or agree with the stuff I mentioned

the point is Americans have it better than most think, and a lot of us take it for granted... of coarse there will be stereotypes

Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
You know your American if... you can't spell you're right.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
From the past comments, this one would come to mind for you.
You know you're American if you can't take a good ribbing and don't understand good-natured self-depriciating humor!
Perhaps, but I just found your list too easy to roast, so it was intended as a 'good ribbing'... You seem to be taking it well enough... Maybe you're not American?

Quote:
What a waste of time explaining you opinions on my "You Know You're an American if" "jokes"
You're probably right about that, but this whole forum has become little more than a way to waste time ever since I completed my own x-country move.

Quote:
the point is Americans have it better than most think, and a lot of us take it for granted...
So true.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,522 times
You know you're an American.....

If you use a GPS to drive your gas guzzling SUV across town to the local "All You Can Eat" buffet. While waiting in line, you call your friends on the cell and converse loudly about your personal life.

Then, you go home and sign into Twitter, MySpace and Facebook to tell your adoring fans all the scintillating details about your dinner.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
lmfao. and to the guy who complained about all your jokes, papa johns IS a national chain.. and why did you question "ramon"? if you dont know what ramon noodles are, than your not a true american LOL

Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
.. and why did you question "ramon"? if you dont know what ramon noodles are, than your not a true american LOL
If you don't know the answer to that then it's probably not worth discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.