U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning a road trip along the east side coast from New York to Savannah either for June or July. It is my first time doing it and I need some suggestions on which cities to visit and what places (from art to bars) are worth seeing. Please shoot some ideas!! Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM

463 posts, read 1,493,093 times
You should spend at least one day in Philadelphia. I'm pressed for time otherwise I'd say more right now.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,237,751 times
-New York
-Philly
-Bmore
(-Frederick )
-Annapolis
-DC
-Charlottsville
-Richmond
-Charleston
-Savannah

That's what id do, but im sure there's much more to see and do. And these are only cities. I mean you have some great beaches along the way as well as the Chesapeake Bay, Shenandoah NP, etc

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,639,489 times
Williamsburg is a good bet to visit. Hilton Head Island is also good for a visit, and in the Savannah area, Tybee Island is also an interesting place. The Outer Banks of NC, Corolla, Duck, etc. are also nice beaches.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,883,854 times
Asheville for sure! If you truly had the time do the whole Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM

13,080 posts, read 37,278,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Asheville for sure! If you truly had the time do the whole Blue Ridge Parkway.
That's waaaayyyy out of the way from a trip along the coast. But it sure is beautiful!

I recommend the Outer Banks in NC. If nothing else, Kitty Hawk is worth a visit.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 PM

9,119 posts, read 22,831,040 times
I suggest you actually start your trip in Boston if you have never been. Kind of hard to see the east coast without including Boston. I'd skip Richmond if you have it planned and spend more time in Savannah than Charleston. Charleston seemed a little too disneylandish to me. Nice to see but I didn't find any soul there and never wanted to go back.Savannah is deep.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 PM

6,940 posts, read 18,211,591 times
Cities/urban destinations along the way:
New York
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Annapolis
DC
Richmond/Colonial Williamsburg
Charleston
Savannah

If you want some Atlantic Ocean beaches, I'd be sure to hit any of the following along the way:
Seaside Heights, NJ (boardwalk rides, games, fried oreos)
Ocean City, NJ or Wildwood, NJ (boardwalk rides, games, family fun)
Rehoboth Beach, DE (beach village and tax-free shopping)
Assateague, MD/VA (national seashore, wild horses, annual pony swim across the sound)
Duck, NC (stay in a house nestled in the dunes)
Ocracoke, NC (isolated as heck, but beautiful area)
Tybee Island, GA (great retreat near Savannah)
St. Simons or Jekyll Islands (would substitute these for Tybee if you want to travel south from Savannah)

I'd also try to hit a few historic sites along the way, depending on what interests you and your family. If you're into wines, stop off in Virginia's wine country. There are some great wine festivals going on in various small towns during Summer and they're usually a lot of fun. If you want to see old plantations, there are dozens in VA and SC worth checking out. If you are interested in military history, see the old fortifications on Governors Island, NY, spend time in Philadelphia and surrounds, see Fort McHenry in Baltimore where the Star Spangled Banner was written during the War of 1812, stop in Yorktown where the American Revolution effectively ended, see any one of the major Civil War battlefields in VA or Fort Sumter in Charleston. Go apple picking in western NJ. Go peach picking in NC. See Amish country in SE PA.

Eat pizza in Brooklyn
Eat at a diner in Jersey
Eat cheese steaks in Philly
Eat crab cakes in Annapolis
Eat oysters in Urbanna or Chincoteague
Eat minced pork barbecue in eastern NC
Eat a deep fried hot dog in Little Washington, NC
Eat at a gullah restaurant in the SC lowcountry

Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,360,831 times
Second bluedog's motion! Start in Boston! What old fortifications on Governors Island in New York? The Boston Harbor Islands national park have great fortifications to explore. Governors Island is beautiful, but it's a decomissioned coast guard base. True, Castle William is there, so maybe lammius is right. Anyway, to add to or amend his/her list; skip brooklyn and have your pizza in New Haven at one or the other of the deservedly famous places there. Brooklyn is a nice place to live but you wouldn't want to visit. Sort of the inverse of what they've always said about New York itself. On the way down, don't miss Newport, R.I. and its quahogs. In Boston itself, ipswich clams and wellfleet oysters are something to consider. Sounds like a fabulous trip!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM

6,966 posts, read 19,695,290 times
^^^ yes, definitely pizza in New Haven

you can't go wrong with Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, Bar or Naples

although, Pepe's & Sally's on Wooster St are designed for tourists.

if there's a long line, a little hint. go to the Spot. its a smaller venue behind in the Pepe's parking lot, but its the exact same pizza.
most tourists don't know that and decide to wait 2 hrs in the Pepe's line instead of 15 mins for Spot.

and NH has also got the first hamburger joint in america - Lou's Lunch. should check it out for a history lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.