Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:46 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times

Advertisements

Washington, Nevada, Texas, Florida, Alaska, South Dakota and Wyoming have no state income taxes.
Tennessee and New Hampshire have it only for interest and dividend income.
When I transfered from California to Nevada in 2000, I noticed the increase in my take-home pay immediately! That was nice!
Missouri's rate is 6% which I find high, but heck, the cost of living here is so cheap and property taxes where I am are ridiculously low.

Sales taxes bite too. Missouri is generally 4.22% and a bit over 1% in food taxes. We have vehicle safety inspections that must be conducted before every registration renewal, pay personal property taxes on our vehicles! And have two license plates. I believe Virginia's sales tax is 5% and they also tax food at 2.5% I believe. Cities can tack additional taxes onto the sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
The 2 plate thing i see that as no biggy, doesn't matter if it's one or two, the emission stuff eventually most places are going to have that so it's just a matter of time on that unless you live out in the boonies.

the tax situation well if that's the state of your choosing not much your going to do about it unless you pick a bordering state such as tn which has no state income tax then live close to the state line in tn but i see your going to the crazy area lol so check out maryland mayby, but you also have to look at all the other taxes as a whole also, what are you getting in return such as state services & such for those tax dollars, property taxes play a big role but in renting scratch that one but you may decide to buy one day so you still have to somewhat consider that too, va has personal prop taxes also.

I'm sure rent will be cheaper in va vs. fl depending on location, so the money saved there possibly may make up for the extra out of pocket in va, 2% savings in sales tax not a biggy but a little better.

Make you a spread sheet of the two from these links then you have a better overall picture of what your getting into.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/21.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/64.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/

http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

The license plates, emission you'll have to punch those up from the state site.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM

53 posts, read 489,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
The 2 plate thing i see that as no biggy, doesn't matter if it's one or two, the emission stuff eventually most places are going to have that so it's just a matter of time on that unless you live out in the boonies.

the tax situation well if that's the state of your choosing not much your going to do about it unless you pick a bordering state such as tn which has no state income tax then live close to the state line in tn but i see your going to the crazy area lol so check out maryland mayby, but you also have to look at all the other taxes as a whole also, what are you getting in return such as state services & such for those tax dollars, property taxes play a big role but in renting scratch that one but you may decide to buy one day so you still have to somewhat consider that too, va has personal prop taxes also.

I'm sure rent will be cheaper in va vs. fl depending on location, so the money saved there possibly may make up for the extra out of pocket in va, 2% savings in sales tax not a biggy but a little better.

Make you a spread sheet of the two from these links then you have a better overall picture of what your getting into.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/21.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/64.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/

http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

The license plates, emission you'll have to punch those up from the state site.

Joee,

Thank you very much. I am feeling better about it. I guess I shouldn't be too worried.

Now I just need to find a job, a place to live.

It's just scarey because I am going with my son and I know no one outside of Florida and I don't want to choose somewhere and I end up in the "poor" house because of my choices.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
If you can pick & choose were you want to be i don't think i would pick the DC area, lotts better places than there (and here comes the hate mail flooding in from the va board, send replies to idontreallycare@notmail.com)

Just plug a few areas of choice in & see what looks best, if nothing else just make up something on notebook that makes sense to you the plus & minuses of those areas, minus the bugs, snakes, red/blue, will i fit ins, & don't forget those redneck monsters that loom in the woods, heck we'll even put the boogie man on the list too

Last edited by joee; 03-25-2007 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Definitely no state tax in Alaska, plus the permanent fund dividend every October.

Ooops. I'm not supposed to mention that.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
You might wanna consider Texas. Nice big houses for $100k and up, no state income tax. Pennsylvania has nice big houses for $50k and only 3% state income tax. I would concentrate on cheap houses too and not just the taxes.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Fleeing Florida - we used to live in central Florida so I know what you're saying. We lived there for only a short while but completely understand the nerves around moving. I'd really recommend doing some research on the internet regarding the area of town you're considering. I'd go to google and plug in apartments or homes to rent in so & so, Virginia. Then if you find something you like, go to http://maps.live.com Make sure you leave off the www in this address. You can type in the physical address and then go to the hybrid look...you will see the street names and actual images of the area. I've done that as there is a potential move in our horizon...possibly moving to Milwaukee...just came up a few days ago.

When we moved from Portland, Oregon to Kissimmee, FL we found our apartment online. It was when people were just beginning to get online so it was very foreign way to do things. We ended up in an ok apartment, but it was nice because had at least had a decent place to live in Florida. Thousands of miles from our home. We did the same thing when we moved here to Minneapolis. We rented a townhome from what we saw on the internet. That move went much better.

Another thought is to go to www.realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com - broken link) and see what housing prices are like in the area you want to rent/buy. That should give you a good idea of what to possibly expect. And if you go to google, type in chamber of commerce for whatever city you're looking at. That will give you lots of info and even get on their mailing list. When we moved here the local NBC station had a video of all the great things to do in Minnesota. It sure helped relieve our fears that we'd be living under snow and ice for the majority of the year. Plus it helped connect us to our new home state. I've lived in 13 states and moved every 2 years 'til I was an adult. The longest I've lived in one place is 7 years. If there is anything I can do to help you, please, by all means send me a pm and we can pm or email back and forth.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
And Alaska uses 2 plates...but one tag on rear plate only.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:19 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Here's my take on the state tax / sales tax / vehicle tax / property tax equation. Anyone that moves out of CA, DC, NY metro area and a select few other places will notice a reduction in their overall state income tax + sales tax + vehicle tax + property tax grand total, no matter where else they move to.

Many of the states that have no state income tax like FL, TX and TN have higher sales tax, higher property tax, and all kinds of other hidden taxes and fees to make up for the lack of income tax revenue. Ever rent a car or stay in a hotel in FL? They really hit visitors with taxes and fees of 10 to 15 percent on top of sales tax.

I know people that live in Franklin, Kentucky, not far north of Nashville, TN. They work in TN, so pay no state income tax on that income. However they live in KY and their property tax is maybe 40 or 50 percent less than on a house of the same approximate size and value that is located just a few miles away in TN. They actually play the tax equation to their advantage. Not many places you can get away with this, but I think you can't just look at state income taxes or vehicle taxes as being high or not. Like MoMark said earlier, got to add up the whole bag of apples to see what it really costs to live in a new place.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Just don't take a wrong turn

Yeah, got to get out of Florida before it is too late. Even NAH is bailing out, maybe.

You should be Ok. That car inspection is not enjoyable anywhere. About like a root canal or maybe a full tube inspection. Some can be nasty in the games played.

That front license plate is not that big of a deal. It cuts your MPG by like .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

Just make sure you stop in VA and don't keep going North to MA. There you will really learn about car inspections. One of my former neighbors was failed for lack of windshield fluid in the fluid tank. He had only about half full and the clown said that was enough of a reason. His hand didn't get anything extra. Tipping encouraged.

MA also has two license plates. Added the second after Teddy missed that bridge. The full investigation cited the lack of guiding plate as a contributing factor.

It is tough to go from a slack state to one of the more regulated. You should bang a slight lefty and wind up in Ohio. Most of your problems would go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.