Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times

Advertisements

Is there usually a feeling of indifference, tolerance? Is there a predominant feeling or a huge variation?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
It makes me sick & I wonder if they are Americans or traitors who are proud of a horrible history of enslavement & evil. As I pointed out in another threat: I have a little German "blood" but never mention it & am ashamed of what the German people did to Jews!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Keep in mind that there were African Americans who fought (voluntarily) for the Confederacy, too. The realities of that period of American history are a lot more complex than many people today seem to realize. Slavery was obviously a horrible institution, but it wasn't a clear-cut situation with the North as good and the South as bad. It's been oversimplified in modern life, with many in the North seemingly happy to demonize the South, and many in the South insisting that the War had "nothing" to do with slavery.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I'll admit that I really don't get everything about this because some claim that it's a tribute to their heritage and all of that but there are those who speak on it because they wish that they could live that life (I don't know about anyone else but me being some lazy hypocrite's "property"? Yeah right). I think I can roll with a person who had some ancestor who fought in the war and don't agree with the slavery parts of it bu still like the 300 effect of the Confeds. I will say that overall this Yankee/Rebel stuff shouldn't be in the present because it's stupid and lame to me. I'm Southern but the Rebels never got off of the ground, no extended, history, no nothing so (outside of the 300 effect) wouldn't and don't get the praise. So I feel a little puzzled by it.

Last edited by Bo; 03-20-2009 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: orphaned reference - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
It makes me sick & I wonder if they are Americans or traitors who are proud of a horrible history of enslavement & evil. As I pointed out in another threat: I have a little German "blood" but never mention it & am ashamed of what the German people did to Jews!
Are you suggesting that because one of the most appalling eras in human history (the Holocaust) took place in Germany, that having German blood is something to be ashamed of?

If so (which it seems you do)...just what ethnic blood DO you claim? Or nationality? Or commitment and loyalty to what nation?

Where/what/which people anywhere, anytime, were not both perpetuators/victims of some sort of historical "crime"?

Anyway, getting late and time to hit the sack. All good things must end at least for 8 hours...

Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep in mind that there were African Americans who fought (voluntarily) for the Confederacy, too.
I'm willing to bet this was on a vastly smaller scale than Black soldiers who fought for the Union army. I may get proven wrong, but I doubt I will be. Something around 10% of the Union Army was Black.

Even then, the Confederates didn't really see Black soldiers as soldiers and more as slaves fighting for one side or the other. So much so that surrendering Black soldiers for the Union army were either killed as an example, legally penalized as an example, or sold back into slavery. Lincoln had to threaten action against Confederate POW's just to get them to stop.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
As a black Southerner from Texas, I could care less for the flag. I do not like the sight of it. That's me though.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That's pretty pathetic if you can't mention that you have some degree of German ancestry.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep in mind that there were African Americans who fought (voluntarily) for the Confederacy, too. The realities of that period of American history are a lot more complex than many people today seem to realize. Slavery was obviously a horrible institution, but it wasn't a clear-cut situation with the North as good and the South as bad. It's been oversimplified in modern life, with many in the North seemingly happy to demonize the South, and many in the South insisting that the War had "nothing" to do with slavery.
Indeed. I have read a couple books about blacks who willingly fought for the Confederacy, knowing that if the South lost, and the slaves were freed, it would be a massive post-war rush to jobs that did not exist. There was one particular solider who believed that the situation would be worsened after the war for both whites and blacks if the South lost - It would seem he was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I'm willing to bet this was on a vastly smaller scale than Black soldiers who fought for the Union army. I may get proven wrong, but I doubt I will be. Something around 10% of the Union Army was Black.
Keep in mind that the South had more non-white soldiers, but the North had more blacks (Native Americans and some Mexicans fought for the South). People generally label the Confederacy as racist, but you did not see non-white generals in the North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Even then, the Confederates didn't really see Black soldiers as soldiers and more as slaves fighting for one side or the other. So much so that surrendering Black soldiers for the Union army were either killed as an example, legally penalized as an example, or sold back into slavery. Lincoln had to threaten action against Confederate POW's just to get them to stop.
Black soldiers made up their own divisions on the battlefield, and were just as important of a component as any other unit. Most Confederate soldiers were just poor whites who did not own slaves, and had no reason to be racist, some were even sympathetic to the plight of their people. Most people seem to be under the impression that the South was racist prior to the war, when in fact that was not the case. In reality, racism was created and used as a political tool after the war.

Keep in mind that very few Northern black units participated in battles as frequently as they did in the South. They were generally used by the North to repair roads and railroads, build fortifications and trenches, and occasionally forced them on suicide missions (wasn't there was a movie about this?).

Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Great...yet another thread to fight the civil war ALL over again.

North won....South lost.....it's over....it's done.....

Get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.