Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM

443 posts, read 600,600 times

Advertisements

I agree. Slow dim witted people move to southern hot places. Florida and the desert south west has a higher percentage of much more idiotic people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Omar Swenson (the world's leading anthropologist) did a study on this and he found a definite correlation between cold weather and people huddling together for warmth and the inevitable camaraderie and interaction that resulted. He also stated in his presentation to the World Academy Anthropologists, that the shivering had the added benefit that the people appeared to be dancing and developed rhythm as well.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
I know the above post was a joke, but on a more serious note, higher crime is correlated with higher temperatures. Most cities have a surge in violence in the summer.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I know the above post was a joke, but on a more serious note, higher crime is correlated with higher temperatures. Most cities have a surge in violence in the summer.
Again, the Movie " Fargo. It was crime all at wintertime, one of the things that made the film so great...and true to life. We all move a little slower in winter, and thats only because of so many layers of clothes and slick highways !

Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Did you see the movie Fargo ?
Haha, yeah but Fargo is 100% made up - there was no truth in that story at all as far as it actually happening in real life.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Crime is often lower in colder cities. The cities with low crime tend to be colder ones.
Imagine how hard it is to do a driveby when there is two ft of snow on the street, plus who wants to deal drugs when its 20 degrees outside.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha, yeah but Fargo is 100% made up - there was no truth in that story at all as far as it actually happening in real life.
not exactly,

the woodchipper scene was in fact based on a true story...

Helle Crafts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the kidnapping had elements that paralleled two well-known (at the time) Minnesota kidnapping cases, one involving a 1962 case involving St Paul attorney Eugene Thompson and 1972 case involving the kidnapping and 1 million-dollar ransom paid for Virginia Piper the wife of an Orono banker.

Fargo (1996) - Trivia - IMDb

I'm also pretty sure I once bought a car from Jerry Lundegaard and did in fact agree to the undercoating that he recommended. In fact, most of the other characters can be seen during any visit to a local Red Owl store all standing behind one another in the check-out line.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Made up or not, Fargo DID a good job of depicting the laid back lifestyle that comes from so many Northern Tier States, and the local country folk. ( Actually most of the movie had nothing to do with Fargo ether) I have never heard of a Swedish Auctioneer ether....Now let me throw another one at ya.There is little doubt that most of the technology started in some barn on the prairie or a garage in MPLS. A lot of inventions started around the kitchen table, don't ya know ? Do you listen to Garrison Keiler on PNR ? he makes fun of the locals as well, but,they do come up with some very bright and innovative ways of doing things.... yes,Japan made it practical and China copied almost everything everyone made ,You betcha, Eh ? One of the reasons I buy a lot of flat pack stuff from Ikea, all designed by Swedes,(some German's on the more detailed) ....and yes again made in warm far east countries mostly.... One exception I have been noticing is Canada. They are really light years ahead of a lot of warmer places,and they have figured how to make things better and cost effective. I buy all Canadian made when I can and they are USA'S largest trading partner to boot.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What good is "civilization" when people are uptight and quiet, even among many of the people they know?

More than half the people in the Toronto area have a cold and dull personality that matches our normal November weather.
Maybe that's just because they're Canadian.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:35 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
this thread is nothing more than a bunch of people from the north stroking themselves and each other.

It just so happens that when it comes to economic productivity 3 of the top 5 states are warm weather states(California, Texas, Florida).

As for crime I know for a fact that San Diego, Honolulu, Anaheim, and Plano, TX are some of the safest cities in the USA.

I think the reason why people in the north work so hard is cause there isn't anything else to do when the weather sucks LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.