Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times

Advertisements

I have been to all 50 States and many cities and towns all over America. I have a major observation. -------------In most cases places with mild climates (and full of people who have relocated have more troubled and lazy people. Places with terrible climates have better people.

I think places like Arizona, Nevada, California and Florida are for people who are escaping something. They got in a fight with their family and are escaping their terrible life and situation back in Smalltown MI. You get alot of losers and drifters in these warm weather places.

Of course this is a generalization but I think it is true much of the time.

I find the best people to be in areas like Buffalo, Fargo, Omaha, Des Moines, and Tulsa. Places that are not glamorous places but are family orientated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 03:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Heat makes people lazy. I just wanna sit and do nothing but when it gets cool I feel active and productive

Old 03-25-2007, 04:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Heat makes people lazy. I just wanna sit and do nothing but when it gets cool I feel active and productive
Very high heat can make me lazier too; need to slow down a little to keep from getting sticky.

But drab, overcast weather is often worse;
it can feel like it's sucking my brains out, through my eye-sockets.

IMHO cold-climates can make more boring people.

(climate alone; There are some sweet locations that could be fun despite the cold)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-25-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 05:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
I think you're on to something, but it is not the warm weather per se-- it is fact that some people would relocate these sunbelt cities just because of the weather, to the exclusion of everything else. I call it "weather hedonism." Here in AZ it feels sometimes like every day is a vacation-- which is a problem when it comes to needing to get work done. When you live in a place that gets intense sunshine almost every single day of the year, the sun becomes your enemy. Even when it is 105 out, it feels great when you walk out of an air conditioned building-- for about 30 seconds. When you're out in the sun for several hours, it's a different story.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
Please do not miss my point... I am saying that places with alot of rootless people who are far removed from family are more likely to have trash. California, Florida and AZ comes to mind. Also people who can not take the cold and escape to warm sunny places may lack self discipline.

When I lived in Florida I ran into alot of losers who ran from their hometown to escape something.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
Yeah meet a lot of friendly people up in the Northwoods-- northern Wisconsin, Minnesota, Twin Cities, not so much in Chicago, def North Dakota, Milwaukee a bit better than Chicago but still too beer guzzling sports dominated lol.

The mentality is do your work, do a good job, enjoy nature, share with other people, and well the cold yeah its cold. I like Michigan too -- GM and Ford are starting to have more success so not all is downhill. However I currently live in a cold climate (Chicago area) and I don't like it so much. Some of the city is nice, but people are more competitive, and the gay scene there is more snobby.

Boreal forests are the prettiest thing in the world.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:44 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
Crime is often lower in colder cities. The cities with low crime tend to be colder ones.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Yes, in my unbiased Minnesotan opinion. Snow is purging. We don't have termites or fifty years of caked on dirt. I think places that don't freeze at least once a season are that much dirtier.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times
I think no matter were a person goes it's all basically the same, some towns may be on the dirty side but travel 20 miles down the road and it's a whole new ballpark.

If i'm reading the post right which i have a habit of not lol, but the impression i get is your saying ca, fl, az are full of trashy people & people that live in warm sunny places lack self discipline.

People are people wherever you go, some have different ways of doing things but in general the good apples outweigh the bad, there's parts of the appalachians were folks don't have much and have to work there butts off to get what little they have but in no way does it make them any lesser than anyone else.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Crime is often lower in colder cities. The cities with low crime tend to be colder ones.

Another incentive for me to relocate north and for you to stay in PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.