Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,940,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The South is the most populated region in the nation and it's the region of the country that continues to have rapid population growth. These might be contributing factors to how much the South is talked about in these forums.

As for liberal and conservative, I think it might be far more interesting to discuss the differences between liberalism and conservatism among the variety of regions in this country. For instance, I imagine what constitutes a typical conservative in Connecticut is different from what consitutes a typical conservative in Mississippi.
It's more than that. I think the south is the only region in the United States to really carry it's own cultural identity. It is often widely misunderstood by people from other parts of the nation, and often considered an oddity. There are many historical reasons for it. As a sort of "backwoods southerner"(being from a city of 35k in NW Georgia), I am sometimes amazed at the images people have of this area. I have travelled the U.S. pretty extensively, 48 out of 50 states, and so have a decent idea about most of the regions. Some of what I hear others say about the south is so far off base that I wonder if they have ever even spoken to a southerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,375,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
If your a YANKEE OR LIBERAL you will NOT be WELCOMED in the following Florida towns:

Marianna FL, Live Oak FL, Plant City FL, Fernandina Beach FL, Daytona BEach FL, Lake City FL, Brooksville FL, Fort Pierce FL, Okeechobee FL, Apalachicola FL, Panama City FL, Chiply FL, Quincey FL, Bonifay FL, Defuniak Springs FL, Milton FL, Wewahitchka FL, Homestead FL, Stuart, Clewiston FL, Bartow FL, Floral CIty, HOmosassa Springs FL, St Augustine FL, ORmaond Beach, Lake Butler, Cross CIty FL, Madison FL, Monticello FL, Jasper FL, Havana Fl, Mexico Beach FL, Port St. Joe FL, Detin FL, Ft. Walton Beach FL, Perry FL, Chiefland FL, Lamont FL, Blountstown FL, Graceville FL, Crestview FL, NIceville FL, Miramar Beach FL, Gasparilla Island FL, LAguna Beach FL, Carabelle FL, Alligator Point FL< St. George Island FL, Steinhatchee FL, Starke FL, Palatka FL, Dunnellon FL, Inverness FL, Fish HAwk FL, St. Cloud FL, Immokalee FL, Belle Glade FL, Labelle FL, Wauchula FL, Lake Placid FL

Miami is your best bet.
I have to agree with Plant City and Crestview. I felt very unwelcomed by some of the residents in both these communities.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
I'd assume Florida.
I know much of FL is very conservative, but It was the only blue state (besides VA) after the 2010 elections were tallied.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 PM

996 posts, read 1,887,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think Texas is moderate.
More then FLORIDA? Or VIRGINIA? Or NORTH CAROLINA?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
More then FLORIDA? Or VIRGINIA? Or NORTH CAROLINA?
Considering the size of the state and where the population is concentrated at?? Yes.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Considering the size of the state and where the population is concentrated at?? Yes.

Every major city in NC went HEAVILY Democratic, except New Hanover County (Wilmington) which went 50-48 McCain

NOVA Is pure liberal, Henrico county went safely democratic, Virginia voted 52-46 Obama.

Florida has Miami, Broward County, West Palm Beach County, Jacksonville, etc...

Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Every major city in NC went HEAVILY Democratic, except New Hanover County (Wilmington) which went 50-48 McCain

NOVA Is pure liberal, Henrico county went safely democratic, Virginia voted 52-46 Obama.

Florida has Miami, Broward County, West Palm Beach County, Jacksonville, etc...
Texas has Houston and Dallas which alone have a greater population than North Carolina and both went democratic. Austin is just icing on the cake.

However, I don't equate democrats to liberals. Two different things.

What alters Texas vote is the large rural population at west. The Texas Triangle which includes Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Fort Worth is about the same size as the state of North Carolina.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Yes, but Charlotte is very liberal. So is Greensboro. Both Texas, and North Carolina voted Republican 12 times each.

Also...Dallas county, and Harris County voted republican from 1972-2004 straight.

Mecklenburg County voted Republican from 1980-1992 Republican straight. (Only voting republican once in in recent elections, 2000)

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Dallas City is becoming very liberal now and so is the county. Obama easily won it in 2008 and Kerry only lost Dallas County by 1% in 2004. Houston went Kerry in 2004 but because of the suburbs, Harris County went to Bush in that year. However, in 2008, the Democrats gained more ground to the point where they won the county. Maybe Harris County hovers around that 50/50 thing but I think the Democrats will become even more dominate in the coming years.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas City is becoming very liberal now and so is the county. Obama easily won it in 2008 and Kerry only lost Dallas County by 1% in 2004. Houston went Kerry in 2004 but because of the suburbs, Harris County went to Bush in that year. However, in 2008, the Democrats gained more ground to the point where they won the county. Maybe Harris County hovers around that 50/50 thing but I think the Democrats will become even more dominate in the coming years.
Harris County is just so damn large in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.