Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And maybe in ten years, you'll be driving in rush hour traffic with an infant and a toddler, and you don't want to endanger them by riding your bike in the rain!
The obvious solution of course is to never have children.

And even then in fact, the thing I regret mostly about my childhood is that I wasn't raised in a larger, more cosmopolitan/diverse city with more cultural opportunity. So I wouldn't deprive any(very hypothetical) children of mine of that.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 03-22-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
1) When you travel to the country and look up in the sky and say "Wow, I only see these in movies". 2)When you're at an intersection red light and you're glancing at the light belonging to those who who have the turning arrow looking/anticipating when you can go.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
When I leave NYC, I forget that I can turn right at red lights. Although there are many areas on Long island where you can't turn right on red.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The obvious solution of course is to never have children.

And even then in fact, the thing I regret mostly about my childhood is that I wasn't raised in a larger, more cosmopolitan/diverse city with more cultural opportunity. So I wouldn't deprive any(very hypothetical) children of mine of that.
My kids weren't deprived of that either, even though they grew up in a suburb. There are roads to the city from the burbs. (Sarcasm intended. It's just the arrogance of youth, as my own mother used to say.)

Old 03-22-2009, 05:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My kids weren't deprived of that either, even though they grew up in a suburb. There are roads to the city from the burbs. (Sarcasm intended. It's just the arrogance of youth, as my own mother used to say.)
I've got the vague feeling that I'm going off topic but visiting the city every other weekend is just not the same experience. There's nothing really like being right in the middle of it all for good.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I've got the vague feeling that I'm going off topic but visiting the city every other weekend is just not the same experience. There's nothing really like being right in the middle of it all for good.

I guess it depends what city. I feel like there's no difference between Queens in NYC and western Long Island. They're both the same to me.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I'm with Rachel here. What my kids did in the burbs, they could have done in the city. Believe me, all you younguns who haven't raised a family yet, when you are raising little kids, it doesn't matter whether you are in NYC, Denver, San Francisco, or Antelope, Wyoming. You're doing the same things. I mean, how often do you go to the zoo if you live in the city? About as often as you do if you live in the burbs, in my experience. Ditto, Children's Museum, Museum of Nature and Science, and all the others.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Right---Ive often heard people talking about all the things they could do if they lived in the city---and then when they live in the city, they never do them.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
You check around you before going to the ATM.
You drive a beater because you know a new car would get door dings, plus it's easier to park a small car in the city.
You know which traffic rules you have to follow and which ones you can break.
You know of a few one way streets that locals use as two-ways sometimes.
You have a few "secret" parking spots.
so trueeee... I'm sure I could get a better car but have an old 1997 2 door honda accord, good gas mileage, and dings on every corner of my car from parallel parking

Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
You know your an urbanite when you don't talk about being an urbanite.
Post of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.