Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Umm......most immigrants coming here are from the third world, don't speak English, have no education and on & on & on....but you know that. I have no problem bringing in a small number of highly educated immigrants every year. I have a problem with tens of millions of immigrants that can't even read or write coming here in poverty.
Lower-class immigrants are hard-working as well...probably more hard-working than most Americans. But only allowing immigrants based on education and social status flies in the face of everything this country stands for.

I'm on board with the libertarians when it comes to immigration - free movement of labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
texas.............

Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Lower-class immigrants are hard-working as well...probably more hard-working than most Americans. But only allowing immigrants based on education and social status flies in the face of everything this country stands for.

I'm on board with the libertarians when it comes to immigration - free movement of labor.
Status ? I'm talking about quality immigrants that are educated and can speak the language. I think that over 40 million immigrants since 1965 is enough in any case. Americans are leaving whole states like California because of this massive third world influx. Most Amricans don't work as hard as immigrants....sure. Lazy Americans just need to replaced I guess from how I read your post. What did the USA stand for when we had lttle, or no immigration from 1924 until 1965 ?

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 03-22-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Status ? I'm talking about quality immigrants that are educated and can speak the language. I think that over 40 million immigrants since 1965 is enough in any case. Americans are leaving whole states like California because of this massive third world influx. Most Amricans don't work as hard as immigrants....sure. What did the USA stand for when we had lttle, or no immigration from 1924 until 1965 ?
Take a look at this graph. Immigration was at an all-time high in the early 20th century, then dropped off during the depression, and has been growing since the end of WW2. However, it pales in comparison to pre-depression levels.

Also, American women have a birthrate below replacement value. Stop immigration and our population starts going down and getting older. Countries with a declining and aging population do not stay superpowers for very long.

The reason that our country's productivity has gone up despite relatively flat wages is because of immigrants.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Take a look at this graph. Immigration was at an all-time high in the early 20th century, then dropped off during the depression, and has been growing since the end of WW2. However, it pales in comparison to pre-depression levels.

Also, American women have a birthrate below replacement value. Stop immigration and our population starts going down and getting older. Countries with a declining and aging population do not stay superpowers for very long.

The reason that our country's productivity has gone up despite relatively flat wages is because of immigrants.
Immigration laws were passed in 1924 that stopped almost all immigration. Immigration did not pick up until about 1970 due to the 1965 Immigration Act. As you may know between 70 & 80 percent of Americans want immigration reductions. I'm not concerned about replacement levels because they are not something writen in stone. Native populations can and do change those patterns over time. I'm concerned about cultural conflicts, and over-population. China with 1.3 billion people is not my idea of what I want for the USA. We are a nation of people.....not just a marketplace.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 03-22-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
A "good" plan for this mess would be to stop ALL immigration, legal, and illegal.
Then we'll stop natural births, too.

Come on. 438 million people is not going to be the death of the United States. This country has massive amounts of undeveloped land, living in the Southwest, I experience it first-hand.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
A "good" plan for this mess would be to stop ALL immigration, legal, and illegal.
Good luck with that. Make a law that Americans can no longer marry foreigners and bring them over the legal way. See how well that goes over.

I wouldn't have my job right now if it wasn't for legal immigration. The company I work for was started by a legal immigrant about 10 years ago.

Completely reckless xenophobia is ridiculous.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:

Before you advocate free movement of labor, you may want to consider the impact on our standard of living and wages. I'm sure you realize that if our country got overrun with unrestricted immigration that our way of life and standard of living would likely go in the toilet. That would probably finish off the middle class.

I don't know about you, but I would have a problem with that. And, yes I do have some libertarian leanings, but not to the detriment of our way of life. We should be looking to increase our standard of living, not looking for policies that will decrease it.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 AM

The USA was a low, no immigration country from 1924-1965.....the world did not end. We are losing over a million jobs every 2 months in this country and we should still allow one million legal immigrants every year and another half a millon illegals too ? Citizens of this nation have every right to limit this massive immigration. A small number of well educated immigrants are welcome, but this kind of endless.......million upon millions of poor immigrants pouring into the States seems irrational to me. BTW if we pass an amnesty bill we will make leagal about 20 million people. Due to the family reunification act they will be allowed through chain-immigration to bring in an endless number of family members. That means another 30 or 40 million immigrants......mostly poor and uneducated. IMO this is madness, and national suicide.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 03-23-2009 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Before you advocate free movement of labor, you may want to consider the impact on our standard of living and wages. I'm sure you realize that if our country got overrun with unrestricted immigration that our way of life and standard of living would likely go in the toilet. That would probably finish off the middle class.

I don't know about you, but I would have a problem with that. And, yes I do have some libertarian leanings, but not to the detriment of our way of life. We should be looking to increase our standard of living, not looking for policies that will decrease it.
If the standard of living goes down, then the States would no longer be attractive to immigrants and people would go elsewhere. Free market takes care of it. However, unskilled labor isn't going to be that much of a threat to the middle class.

As for the 1924-1970 thing, that was also a period where you could get by on one income, and most women stayed at home to raise the kids. This is no longer possible, and now our birthrate is below 2...meaning our population would go down without immigration. That is not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.