Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,520,026 times

Advertisements

On a Missouri thread, a gentleman was lamenting that his son had had his car stolen when the son dashed into a convenience store, or something like that-- for a moment, I thought that that thread had morphed into this one. I locked my car as a matter of course when growing up in the 60s, and continue to do so today. My concern for people who live in places where "people don't do that sort of thing," e.g., break into cars or houses, is that there's probably drug activity most everywhere in this country, and that's going to fuel theft.

Why make it easy for thieves? I'll also open my glove compartment and center console when I have to park the car in a dicey area to try and deter someone from breaking a window or cutting a convertible top on the chance that I might have something. When I drove cars with older-fashioned radios that installed in a hole in the dash, I made sure to get a radio with a removable face plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM

593 posts, read 1,371,833 times
Yeah, I hate those trigger happy BLEEPS.
But, Hey, why don't you just help yourself to everyone else's property no matter the inconvenience or hurt you cause them or their families. Just because America is a free country don't mean you can freely take from others. It does however mean that you are free to get your own job and then pay for your own property then spend the time, money, and energy keeping, storing, and maintaining it.

Have a WONDERFUL Day.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,794,796 times
Where I grew up in rural Oklahoma in the 60s/70s, we didn't lock anything. Of course, that's still possible today but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
I don't lock my car doors when it's in my driveway...I've never had a problem, and doubt I would start locking them unless something changes. I always lock the doors in my house at night, but not so much at other times. I live in a quiet neighborhood in south Atlanta. I do lock my car anytime I leave it parked somewhere else.

My family was always very conscientious about locking the doors in our house when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. We lived in a far out suburb of a N.C. city where there was very little crime, but (even back then) it was better to be safe than sorry when you have 3 kids in the house.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,612 times
I live in an apartment. If I go to the corner for a paper or to have a coffee the door to my apartment is usually unlocked. The front door to the building is enough.
A good friend of mine lives in an inner ring suburb of Minneapolis. His door is never locked, and he has never had any problem because of it.
There is also a school of thought that says that people should leave their cars unlocked. Stealing from cars is more common than stealing cars themselves, so you are more likely to end up with a smashed window. If the thief is smart enough to hotwire the car, he is also probably smart enough to unlock the door.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,099 times
My theory is it's best to lock your car because someone might go around looking for unlocked cars. If your car is locked, the thief might not even bother and move to the next car until he/she finds an unlocked car. I know someone that had his car get broken into (he leaves his car unlocked). He said it would have happened anyway and the thief would have just smashed the window if the car was locked. But how does he know the thief wasn't just looking for unlocked cars?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,979,675 times
Rural areas of Louisiana, no. Cities, yes. Even in the 60's. We always did. There was plenty of riff raff back in those days. We called em' HOODS. A hood then was some kind of tough troublemaker or a wannabe. Not what people call hoods today. The neighborhood.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,979,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
My theory is it's best to lock your car because someone might go around looking for unlocked cars. If your car is locked, the thief might not even bother and move to the next car until he/she finds an unlocked car. I know someone that had his car get broken into (he leaves his car unlocked). He said it would have happened anyway and the thief would have just smashed the window if the car was locked. But how does he know the thief wasn't just looking for unlocked cars?
Yes I know someone who thinks that way too and he has been ripped off (brand new audio and speakers) he just got for Christmas a few years ago. There is no convincing the hard-headed!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
I don't lock them now. I live in a city of 60,000, and I never lock my car doors. I never lock my apartment doors, unless it go out of town.

There is never anything in my car for anyone to steal, except an empty McDonalds cup and maybe a tire pressure gauge or flashlight. If anybody wants to find out what is in there, I'd prefer they check it out without breaking the windows. I haven't listened to my car radio in years, and the only reason I have one is because it is impossible to buy a car without a radio. Anybody who wants it can have it. Anyone who wants to hotwire my '93 minivan can then pay the junkyard to accept it.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
I thought crime was higher in the 1970s, particularly in the cities. The suburbs were probably safer though, I'm guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.