Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 AM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times

Advertisements

But you have to say some rock music isn't meaningful.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Where is it that this music is being so invasive to your life? I usually CHOOSE the music I listen to...and nothing is forced upon me. I'm guessing you hear the bass sound in cars passing by somewhere? If that is driving you crazy then the problem IS NOT the music...

There are many styles of music with strong bass beats besides rap. Do all bass beats bother your ears? The complaints about rap sound very much like the complaints of 1950s and 1960s parents about that "evil rock-and-roll music". I mean, you don't have to love it...and you don't have to listen to it...but there's no reason to demonize it.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 AM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
But you have to say some rock music isn't meaningful.
I agree. There is plenty of rock that I can take or leave. The Alternative Rock has always bored me, as well as certain classic rock bands. I like guitar pyrotechnics, thus my taste for classic rock and 80's metal. My favorite era is 1978-1992.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 AM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Where is it that this music is being so invasive to your life? I usually CHOOSE the music I listen to...and nothing is forced upon me. I'm guessing you hear the bass sound in cars passing by somewhere? If that is driving you crazy then the problem IS NOT the music...

There are many styles of music with strong bass beats besides rap. Do all bass beats bother your ears? The complaints about rap sound very much like the complaints of 1950s and 1960s parents about that "evil rock-and-roll music". I mean, you don't have to love it...and you don't have to listen to it...but there's no reason to demonize it.
I don't dislike bass tones. In fact, I love the bass guitar work of Billy Sheehan. What I dislike in the rap is this mindless bass beat. If you listen to it as a musician, it will sound like torture to you. A kid with a bass drum could make those sounds. I like bass sounds that are part of a complete musical package, i.e., a great bass guitar solo or drum solo in a good rock or jazz ensemble. A great rock drum solo is just awesome beyond belief, as is a virtuosic bass guitar solo.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I don't dislike bass tones. In fact, I love the bass guitar work of Billy Sheehan. What I dislike in the rap is this mindless bass beat. If you listen to it as a musician, it will sound like torture to you. A kid with a bass drum could make those sounds. I like bass sounds that are part of a complete musical package, i.e., a great bass guitar solo or drum solo in a good rock or jazz ensemble. A great rock drum solo is just awesome beyond belief, as is a virtuosic bass guitar solo.

Okay...well...that's just a matter of opinion, and as a musician myself I find value in those bass beats as well as many others. It's not mindless to the minds that create it, and it's not torture to everyone, and it's part of a complete musical package to many people. For example, a "great" rock drum solo is horrendous to my ears and of no musical value in my book...it's just beating a drum and not part of a "complete musical package". If, in your opinion, rap isn't a genre of music that is worthy of your time, then I suggest that you don't listen to it - because it's not going anywhere.

So...where is it that you're being forced to listen to music that tortures you? I didn't see a reply to that part of my post.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 AM

214 posts, read 560,130 times
I hate it when I am driving and pull up next to a car and all I hear is there loud thumping music. Its so inconsiderate and annoying. No matter what type of music it is. Usually its Rap/RnB or Rock. Its the youth. The disrespectful, we dont care about anyone else, youth. I never have encounterd someone blasting Smooth Jazz really loud.

I'll tell you what, whats even worse then loud Rap Music, is Indian and Latin Music!....Now thats some VERY annoying music. When I lived in New Jersey, there was alot of people in the area I lived in who blast the most ear pearcing, annoying, horrible Indian Music. Indian as in India not Native American. If you have never heard Indian music, consider yourself lucky. Here in Florida there are tons of people who blast there Latin Music really loud. Thats annoying too, but not as bad as the Indian music. Reggae, theres actually alot of annoying music that people blast really loud from there cars. I dont want to hear any type of music that loud, or talk radio that loud for that matter, but really we have no choice. We unfortunately have to share the road with these inconsiderate idiots. When I happen to be next to them at a traffic light, I usually just put my window up and give them the dirtiest look. Sometimes it works, and they make the music lower.

I mean if your crusing down the highway doing 70-80, fine , go ahead and blast your music if you must, but if your on the mainroads and side streets or pulling up to a traffic light, or driving through a neighborhood, have some consideration for other cars and people on the road that DO NOT want to hear your music.

Its definitly an under 30 type situation and unfortunately will never stop. Bunch of arrogant show offs. Hopefully by the time most people hit 30 and older, they have matured enough to not blast loud music in there car for everyone else to hear.

Theres no state that is immune from people who play Rap music loud. There is really no way around it. We have to share the roads with everyone (unfortunately)

Last edited by Edison Winter; 03-24-2009 at 02:00 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 AM

I was 20 years old once upon a time...and I did the same thing. As someone who is not under 30 anymore, it should be easy to look back and remember acting in a similar way when you were. That usually helps the over 30 crowd understand and accept these "arrogant show offs" a little more easily.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
Sorry, there's tribal kids in Papua New Guinea that love rap. If you live in 2009, you're gonna have to live with rap.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,774 times
Try the redneck areas of the country. Harrison, Arkansas or something.
Somewhere in tennesee maybe?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
The key demographic element is age. Under 30 years old. I don't give a damn if rap fans are white or black. I simply don't like their loud, obnoxious bass beat and filthy lyrics that they insist on everyone hearing. Most are under 30, and many are white. Very few folks over 30 like rap, especially the gangster type. We grew up before it existed. Maybe we want to enjoy the music we grew up with instead of having it rudely interrupted by some kid's bass beat that sounds like a drunken elephant. Heavy metal fans in the early 90's didn't inflict their music on older adults at a catastrophic volume, so why should these rap heads get away with torturing everyone? If you're gonna defend rap, post on a thread for rap fans
You sure about this? Because if you are, I guarantee that you're wrong. The Hip Hop generation is usually people born between 1965-1984. I would think people born from 1965- March 24, 1979 are probably 30 and over now. If not, my math is wrong. Granted, most are minorities but you get the point. If you don't want to hear the music, either ignore it or move to some rural area in North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.