Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM

14 posts, read 24,538 times

Advertisements

Orwelleaut, I was curious to see your response to my previous comments.
I'll try again.

You must believe the few seconds of bassed-up music (which can come
from more music sources than rap/hip-hop) you have to infrequently
endure is somehow a greater burden than anything other people who are
not fans of other types of music have to endure.

If you had posted asking for a place where noise ordinances exist and
are aggressively enforced then that would have been fine.
But when you targeted rap/hip-hop I think it indicated something more
sinister.
You seemed to imply that you would not object to other forms of music
played mega-loud. SO you'd be OK with bassed-up rock or classical?
(like that classical composition where the cannons are let
loose...Beethoven's 5th?).

When you are out the next few days at a restaurant, in a store,
watching TV, etc. please note the number of times your ears encounter
the blaring screeches of a rock guitar. They will far exceed the number
of times you encounter the bassed-up car.
If non-rock fans have to endure your music much more frequently then
why can't you endure theirs infrequently?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music?? In the Northeast and Midwest, the youth seem to have a strong preference for this type of music. The preference, for the current generation of teens, includes all racial and ethnic groups, so this is not an issue of race. This is an issue of musical preference.

I'm just tired of hearing that thudding bass beat everywhere I go, as rap fans seem to think everyone else wants to listen to their music with them. If these rap fans would just show some respect for those of us who don't care for their style of music, I wouldn't even pose this question. Unfortunately, the current generation of teens and twentysomethings seems to think the rest of us want to listen to their pounding, intrusive bass beats. Where is a good place to live for a person to live who just doesn't enjoy this style of music?

Move to Another COuntry

Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music?? In the Northeast and Midwest, the youth seem to have a strong preference for this type of music. The preference, for the current generation of teens, includes all racial and ethnic groups, so this is not an issue of race. This is an issue of musical preference.

I'm just tired of hearing that thudding bass beat everywhere I go, as rap fans seem to think everyone else wants to listen to their music with them. If these rap fans would just show some respect for those of us who don't care for their style of music, I wouldn't even pose this question. Unfortunately, the current generation of teens and twentysomethings seems to think the rest of us want to listen to their pounding, intrusive bass beats. Where is a good place to live for a person to live who just doesn't enjoy this style of music?
Any place that lacks culture.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Gross disgusting culture is more like it. Here is where you can go to escape Rap krap.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music??
I wish there was such a place, but it's what's hot and what is the American music scene these days. Young people love to listen to this junk that tells the tales of lifestyles most won't ever truly live. Hopefully the fad of listening to music that promotes a lazy and useless lifestyle and the dress and actions that go along with it will disappear soon.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I wish there was such a place, but it's what's hot and what is the American music scene these days. Young people love to listen to this junk that tells the tales of lifestyles most won't ever truly live. Hopefully the fad of listening to music that promotes a lazy and useless lifestyle and the dress and actions that go along with it will disappear soon.
Of course......because we all know nothing more inspires the best in people like a good ole rock and roll/heavy metal/country song

Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 AM

14 posts, read 24,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Young people love to listen to this junk that tells the tales of lifestyles most won't ever truly live. Hopefully the fad of listening to music that promotes a lazy and useless lifestyle and the dress and actions that go along with it will disappear soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Of course......because we all know nothing more inspires the best in people like a good ole rock and roll/heavy metal/country song
It's funny because your exact words were likely said back in the 50s and 60s by people who hated "good ole rock and roll/heavy metal" (country has never been exceptionally popular mainstream so we won't bother discussing that).
For people who grew up listening to big-band and whatever back in the 20s rock and roll was considerd garbage. There were even efforts to ban it. How soon we forget?
What's known today as rock and roll (a distorted take-off of other forms of music with roots far from the white culture of today's rock) was probably the VERY 1ST (I know of no predecessor) form of mainstream music to excessively promote laziness and useless lifestyles.
And if you're telling me a culture centered around "sex, drugs, and rock and roll", excessive consumption of alcohol, biker gangs, spiked/odd colored hair, Goth, punk rocker fashions, etc. is somehow the peak of civilized society then...
And for the record, the "fad" of young people listening to rock and roll/heavy metal was merely replaced by the "fad" of youth listening to rap/hip-hop which will be replaced by something else for the next generation.
That's how it goes. It's called musical progression (for good or bad).
Not everyone wants to have music stuck at one point in time - listening forever to the same tunes from their teenage years.
It's also called competition. When something in the marketplace commands more demand then we'll be off to the next "fad".

Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
I used to think that avoiding rap racket (sorry, it's all I could think of to call it...it's not music if there's no melody) was impossible. Even in small-town Arkansas I heard it all too often.
In a slightly aging suburb of Kansas City, you almost never hear it. When you do, it's the same 3-4 cars it seems like.
In Little Rock, I could never, ever pull up to a stoplight without hearing it. One more reason not to miss Little Rock.
I despise hearing other people's loud music regardless of what kind it is. Fortunately, most people grow out of that. I listened to my loud music as a stupid kid, now it's usually not as loud, and I have always made it a point to keep it down when stopped at an intersection, or while driving through quiet residential areas.
Is it too much to ask people to have some respect for others?

Rural, farming areas, and maybe some aging towns are some places to escape it. I haven't spent that much time in Maine, but when I did, I never heard it.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:00 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's a real stretch to associate rap/hip hop with any type of real culture, at least in my opinion. Of course what type of culture are you talking about. I wouldn't want to live around that culture.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:40 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Gross disgusting culture is more like it. Here is where you can go to escape Rap krap.

Cow Creek? I think I'll take my chance with the loud music...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.